How to Get my Parents to Understand Me

Yes, I fully understand and accept that the odds are ridiculously low. There were high school All Americans that I’ve seen go to D1 and are struggling hard now. The best player in my state was not chosen as an All American and he would absolutely demolish me. I know this.

I’ve been humbled by community college players. Who I’ve watched get humbled by D3 players.

Lol I have a story of my own. I was at the gym playing a 32 with a community college player. I remember being shifted like crazy and being unable to guard his shots. He hit damn near every one. He ended up winning the 32, I had 21 points. But all his points were contested by me, and he barely contested my scoring. If he did I might have had 10 points. I remember there was one time I was driving and I had dribbled between my legs and drove to the basket for a left hand finish but he blocked the shit, and then threw it up from directly behind the backboard and made the shot. I felt like a baby. The whole time his shoes weren’t laced up. He said “my shoes aren’t tied, that’s how slight this is.” That was one of the most humbling experiences, although it was after a long practice I had done. But people that I can hang with NOW have done stuff like that to me in the past.

The next day, that same community college player came and someone from the University of Chicago came to the gym. I had been doing 2 ball drills at the time but I was watching him warm up … he was missing quite a few shots and his dribbling didn’t seem all that well… I was like, yea, I got me one.
They started running 5 on 5 pickup and I saw that this player was killing the community college player that was killing me. And he’s D3. Both a far cry from D1.

When I ran with them, I put up like 11 points, but the guy that was guarding me wasn’t all that athletic even though he had skills. The other team with the D3 player won though.

It was just crazy. One guy turned me into shit, then got turned to shit by D3, who would get shitted on by D2, who would get stomped by D1, who, other than a very small number would get pummeled by NBA. That’s like 5 levels of humblement.

But I can’t help but wonder where I could stand. And to let my lack of innate ability be an excuse for how ass I am seems contradictory to what each of you all said about taking full responsibility for my circumstances.

So are you joining the school team or not now? I’m so fucking confused. Go play rec or for your school. You literally have ONE season left.

Also, I love how you replied to moose saying you don’t have the option of going places, putting together a tape, or driving to schools, but earlier spoke on Butler and Westbrook having all the odds stacked against them, so why wouldn’t you have a chance. Make up your goddamn mind and start moving.

1 Like

I just skimmed through this post but I got the main idea. Thank your parents seriously. They care about your future and don’t want your stupid ass to waste time doing stupid shit that will lead you to nowhere. If you are a talented basketball player, scouts will find you and offer you a place no matter what. I just don’t understand the level of confidence that you have. It is just over the limit. You think you can just train hard, wake up at 4 am in the morning and suddenly you are a NBA player 5 years later? Can you jump like Nate Robinson? Are you one of top high school prospects in the Nation? No, you can’t dunk and you don’t even play for your high school team. Forget the NBA, or D1, I doubt you can play even in a weak overseas league. No, just no. Just accept the hard truth, it is life, you can’t do some things no matter how you tried. If you like basketball, just play it for fun.

Goodness.

I’ve now realized how thankful I am when my mom occasionally tells me to take it easy due to my back. Because most times I’ll irritate it by thinking I’m doing my back some justice by going overboard.

I wish my mom was standing right behind me sometimes that day in gym so she could’ve told me to slow it down. Because I too herniated one of my discs.

To be honest, there’s nothing more assuring if someone gives a crap about you, when they can see you outside of yourself better than you can, in an attempt to help you.

That’s nothing else other than concern and care.

Your parents aren’t trying to hurt you. They’re trying to help you. This whole thread is trying to get you to realize that.

Accurately assessing what you are capable of and what you are not capable of is responsible.

@thefourthruffian put it to you hard and dirty, but that is because he gets to see (and pay for) people that over estimate their abilities on a regular basis.

In the adult world when people can’t do this there are real and sometimes severe consequences.

I know they are trying to help me. I have realized that. But they have not even seen how much progress I’ve made.

As like 10 other people have said you need to be the best on your high school team by a country mile. You’re not, so forget it.

Normally not much upside to these threads buttt… if what you say is true you have huge potential academically and if switched all this dedication and time practicing on studying you will nuke your SATs and could get a scholarship to top college maybe even Ivy league

Also you’re white Ashkenasim?

You’ve only played 2 years!!

No wonder you don’t get it. I started playing basketball at 9 years old. I played and practiced everyday and still wasn’t good enough to be on a D1 team. What everyone here is trying to tell you is that for some people, a particular sport is just not in the cards for them. I see now why the guys on the team don’t like you, they have years and years of practice and hard work while you’re here demanding the same treatment as them.

This was near the end of my workout. All I need is athleticism.

you keep track of your stats on pick up games? OMG you’re the guy we all laughed at in high school.

1 Like

Me and almost every kid I grew up with in Indiana started playing organized basketball in early Elementary school. I think I was 6 or 7 when I played for my first team. 8 foot rims and small balls. Fun times. The really good players i knew were already setting themselves apart by late elementary school.

If you were 7 feet tall you’d have a shot with such limited experience. But you aren’t, and that’s life buddy. The point guards you are competing against will have exponentially more practice time than you, more high level coaching than you, more game time than you, along with all of the attribute advantages they hold over you. Talent too of course.

I mean this in the nicest possible way buddy, but at age 17 you are basically mentally retarded. This is normal and you’ll probably grow out of it. You’re parents seem to be doing a good job, and for that you’re very lucky.

You’ve gotten some great advice in this thread. Read it over again in a few days.

No that was just a rough estimate, but keep laughing.

There is no such thing as too late in life.

There most definitely is, especially when you are talking about the window you have to achieve high level success in college athletics.

4 Likes

This is one of the top 5 troll jobs this site has ever seen. Fucking bravo.

6 Likes

9/13 = 69% from the free throw line.

2 Likes

I swear I will prove you all wrong.

Nothing about that video screams making the freshman squad. You’re way too far behind from a basic movements perspective. If you were in 7th grade, I’d say you had a decent enough chance, providing you grow and put on size. As a 17 year old, no chance you’re playing in college. You’d get broken in half.

1 Like

Yeah, I was leaning towards “legitimate anguished kid” for most of yesterday, but now that we’re back to this:

I think it’s a pretty reasonable assumption.

3 Likes