How to Get my Parents to Understand Me

Thanks, man. I do miss it.

Okay, Trolly McTrollerson.

Just read that sentence again and pretend you didn’t write it.

You really need to grow up a bit mate. Life is tough and the way you are headed, it’s going to be a huge struggle.

2 Likes

Fuck it, man.

@ActivitiesGuy @flipcollar

I can get a scholarship to most schools off of academics, except for the Ivy League schools, I’m not that smart.

I have a 4.4 weighted GPA, 3.4 unweighted, and I have not taken the SAT but I had a 1250 on the PSAT.
I’m sure I can get academic scholarships but both of you proposed similar plans.

One was to contact all D3 schools near me and introduce myself, while the other one was to get into a D1 school with academics and attempt to walk on. Which way should I go?

Just an FYI, those guys are at the Arnold this weekend. It might be a while before they respond.

On the bright side, you don’t need to figure this all out at once.

1 Like

this is so true. lol not to burst your bubble OP but if you dont even play for your school team than how the hell would you ever go D1 lmao D1 athletes played for there high school program and get scholarships because they excelled at the high school level

1 Like

I don’t know.

It just so happens that the tryout for an AAU team called the Chicago Lockdown is tomorrow. I plan on going there and showing my stuff.

not gonna write a whole article here but all I gotta say is don’t let anyone kill your dreams man, get a job and have a plan outside of basketball but never give up because someone doubted you.

1 Like

Since this thread now appears to be about giving OP life guidance.

Good things in life started happening to me when I realized that whatever I attempted to do based largely on my own thoughts while disregarding the thoughts of others failed miserably, so I started trying to listen to other people and work really hard based on their suggestions.

Now I’m stuck in a place where I’m starting to revert to my old habits again, which is again bringing back negative results.

Huh, how about that.

1 Like

I just realized that you guys are so right.

I’ve yet to look at things from a larger perspective yet. I need to see the bigger picture.

How’d the tryout go?

Man, I can’t even go. I told my parents about it, and they said that I informed them too late, and that they didn’t have the funds to pay for the AAU program anyway. I have family from out of town over, too. The sequence of events, man.

My mom told me to do some more research on teams, but I don’t even know anything, honestly. But either way, I realized that the comments I made earlier was huge disrespect to my parents. I feel ashamed.

People also keep telling me to transfer schools, because I have game, but, I just don’t know anything, honestly.

I have a job as a golf caddy, but the shack hasn’t opened back up since the weather is still a bit cool. I might try to use some of the money I make to help cover the costs.
I talk about playing in college, but I have a huge amount of work to even make that dream feasible for one. I’m still going to try but my approach needs to be fixed. I made a list of things I need to work on:

Mental side

1. Humility/Mindset
  2. Coachability/ Listening
  3. Exposure
  4. Nervousness in games
  5. Positivity

I don’t really know how to address the above problems.

Physical side

1. Athleticism (Speed)
  2. Body smoothness (in the video I showed, you can tell that I’m stiff, I showed my friends who play basketball to get some critique on the way my body moves. I don’t really know how to address this besides stretching)
  3. Coordination/ Footwork

Actual Game Skills

1. My dribbling is actually pretty good, I practice it a lot, I can dribble with one ball and two balls adeptly, but in game exposure will translate all of the work that I put in correctly

2. I have trouble driving to the bucket sometimes, because for one, I’m slow. You beat people with your feet, but it gets harder to score on players, because, even though I may be stronger, when they are taller, longer, and super athletic, shit gets hard.

3. My shooting is inconsistent, especially my 3 point shot. My mid-range game is my strength.

4. Defense. My defense is okay, but it gets shitty when people blow by me even when I’m in defensive stance, simply because of my lack of athleticism. Defense should actually be #1.

5. Shooting off the dribble, simple as that

6. PIVOTS and counters when one attack move is cut off.

7. GETTING OPEN and moving without the ball, this is so important

8. Controlling the floor and understanding plays. I know things in theory, but I have no experience.

Should have found a way to get to that tryout anyways! At least you would have been able to see where youre at relative to other skilled players. Something tells me that if you wanted this badly enough you would have known about this tryout for weeks if not months.

1 Like

It’s highly unlikely that you’ll play on a D1 team unless you average crazy numbers like 20 +pts and 10 assists per game your senior year.

You say you’re smart, you should just focus on school man. They have intramural or rec leagues at most universities. There’s usually multiple pick up games at the gym everyday too.
You could get a degree in something like strength and conditioning, exercise science, physical therapy, sports media etc. so you can get a job that will allow to work with basketball teams or organizations.

1 Like

Can someone explain to me how the AAU circuit works? I’ve never played AAU and I’m looking for these teams but, I just don’t know where to start.

I’m not saying someone won’t be able to answer that question based on the various random experience collected here but this probably isn’t the BEST place to ask. If you’re serious about this and as academically intelligent as you say you are DO THE RESEARCH. You’re definirely capable and if the information isn’t readily available on the web I’m sure there are Chicago based basketball websites where you can pick the brains of people with far more exposure and knowledge on the specific leagues and teams you’re interested in. Putting in the work to find the info you need is just as relevant as putting in the work on the court. No one is gonna do it for you.

2 Likes

Some drills got cut out because I ran out of space on my phone.

If I had some athleticism and some looseness I would actually have some potential.