T Nation

How to Get Leaner but Keep Getting Stronger?


#1

Hi guys.

I have been doing powerlifting over a year now and I was wondering how can I get a little leaner, I ask this, because I have seen way learner power lifters than me but also way stronger, so there is any way in which I could get leaner but kept getting stronger?

My diet is pretty clean, I eat chicken breast, rice, oat meal, milk and protein powder, but never the less my body fat is over 20%. Although I eat over 4000 cal a day, but I am 6â?? and 230lb bw.

So, you experienced guy what would recommend for getting leaner but kept getting stronger? Doing cardio? Maybe cut some calories?

Thanks for your help.

PD: I donâ??t know if this is relevant. But the next week I star the base mesocycle of Smolov squat routine.


How to Lose Fat and Maintain Strength?
#2

What does your workout routine look like? Are you doing any conditioning? Do you eat any vegetables?


#3

Friend, what do you think will result from 1. squatting for high volume 4x/week, 2. cutting calories, and 3. adding cardio when you haven’t been doing any?

If you think the results will be good, go ahead. I wouldn’t do it.

Stock plans tend to work best when they are scalable and leave a margin for differences in individual recovery ability. Smolov’s plan doesn’t meet either of these criteria. It also was not designed for powerlifters but that is another matter.

My advice would be first to figure out the macros you need to hit to slowly lose weight (maybe 1-2 lbs/week the first few weeks, 0.5-1 lb/week after that). Then focus on hitting the numbers. Two or three months in when you start to plateau maybe add in some cardio. I’d keep training basic and along the lines volume/intensity wise of what you already accustomed to. Changing many things at once guarantees disaster.


#4

get leaner i will do the sacrifice.


#5

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
What does your workout routine look like? Are you doing any conditioning? Do you eat any vegetables?[/quote]

The next week i start the base mesocycle of smolov queat routine. And i don’t eat vegetables, but if i must in order to get leaner i will do the sacrifice.


#6

Youve been lifting for a year you dont need to run smolov. You just need to keep refining your technique its not all about just about putting on muscle. and eat some goddamn vegetables.


#7

[quote]manotas wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
What does your workout routine look like? Are you doing any conditioning? Do you eat any vegetables?[/quote]

The next week i start the base mesocycle of smolov queat routine. And i don’t eat vegetables, but if i must in order to get leaner i will do the sacrifice. [/quote]
What have you currently been doing for a workout routine? At 20% bodyfat, it shouldn’t be that hard to slowly recomp while still getting stronger. Most people can accomplish that until 15% or lower.


#8

A couple simple ideas, some repeated from above.

  1. Add more vegetables.
  2. Drink more water: a gallon a day or more. Add flavoring if you need to to get it down.
  3. 20 minute incline walks a couple times a week. Start at 6% and set the speed to something where your heart rate is around 120-130. Increase the speed over time to keep your heart rate around that same level. Eventually increase the incline and drop the speed, and repeat.

None of those should affect performance negatively.

  1. Decrease calories to stay around .5 to 1lb a week weight loss.

Since you’re only a year in, you should be able to find a sweet spot where you can lose weight and continue improving… but decreasing calories can affect performance, especially if you do it drastically, or make major increases in training load (e.g., like doing Smolov)


#9

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]manotas wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
What does your workout routine look like? Are you doing any conditioning? Do you eat any vegetables?[/quote]

The next week i start the base mesocycle of smolov queat routine. And i don’t eat vegetables, but if i must in order to get leaner i will do the sacrifice. [/quote]
What have you currently been doing for a workout routine? At 20% bodyfat, it shouldn’t be that hard to slowly recomp while still getting stronger. Most people can accomplish that until 15% or lower. [/quote]

i been doing the bill starr-gleen padlay 5x5 workout.


#10

[quote]manotas wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]manotas wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
What does your workout routine look like? Are you doing any conditioning? Do you eat any vegetables?[/quote]

The next week i start the base mesocycle of smolov queat routine. And i don’t eat vegetables, but if i must in order to get leaner i will do the sacrifice. [/quote]
What have you currently been doing for a workout routine? At 20% bodyfat, it shouldn’t be that hard to slowly recomp while still getting stronger. Most people can accomplish that until 15% or lower. [/quote]

i been doing the bill starr-gleen padlay 5x5 workout.[/quote]
I would not try to do smolov while also trying to cut…you will fail at both. If you want to do smolov, do it, but eat for gains. If you want to keep doing what you have been but trim a few calories, and maybe add a day of conditioning every 4-5 days, then do something like that. Pick your battle and go after it.


#11

[quote]LoRez wrote:
A couple simple ideas, some repeated from above.

  1. Add more vegetables.
  2. Drink more water: a gallon a day or more. Add flavoring if you need to to get it down.
  3. 20 minute incline walks a couple times a week. Start at 6% and set the speed to something where your heart rate is around 120-130. Increase the speed over time to keep your heart rate around that same level. Eventually increase the incline and drop the speed, and repeat.

None of those should affect performance negatively.

  1. Decrease calories to stay around .5 to 1lb a week weight loss.

Since you’re only a year in, you should be able to find a sweet spot where you can lose weight and continue improving… but decreasing calories can affect performance, especially if you do it drastically, or make major increases in training load (e.g., like doing Smolov)[/quote]

Thanks for your response. A few questions.

-There is any especial vegetable that you would recomend?
-I already drink mora than a galon of water. Finally get something right.
-my gym doesn’t have a incline walk machique, could i use the eliptic on max inclination?
-I thinking on cut down 300cal of my diet,im been doing some calcs and it seems that i am overeating (4300cal a day) 4000cal must be enough.

Thanks again


#12

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]manotas wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]manotas wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
What does your workout routine look like? Are you doing any conditioning? Do you eat any vegetables?[/quote]

The next week i start the base mesocycle of smolov queat routine. And i don’t eat vegetables, but if i must in order to get leaner i will do the sacrifice. [/quote]
What have you currently been doing for a workout routine? At 20% bodyfat, it shouldn’t be that hard to slowly recomp while still getting stronger. Most people can accomplish that until 15% or lower. [/quote]

i been doing the bill starr-gleen padlay 5x5 workout.[/quote]
I would not try to do smolov while also trying to cut…you will fail at both. If you want to do smolov, do it, but eat for gains. If you want to keep doing what you have been but trim a few calories, and maybe add a day of conditioning every 4-5 days, then do something like that. Pick your battle and go after it. [/quote]

Thanks for the advice sir.

Well, i was thinking on doing smolov for the gains, and after it, continue with the 5x5 workout and cut some cals with it in order to get a little leaner. You think that is good?


#13

[quote]manotas wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:
A couple simple ideas, some repeated from above.

  1. Add more vegetables.
  2. Drink more water: a gallon a day or more. Add flavoring if you need to to get it down.
  3. 20 minute incline walks a couple times a week. Start at 6% and set the speed to something where your heart rate is around 120-130. Increase the speed over time to keep your heart rate around that same level. Eventually increase the incline and drop the speed, and repeat.

None of those should affect performance negatively.

  1. Decrease calories to stay around .5 to 1lb a week weight loss.

Since you’re only a year in, you should be able to find a sweet spot where you can lose weight and continue improving… but decreasing calories can affect performance, especially if you do it drastically, or make major increases in training load (e.g., like doing Smolov)[/quote]

Thanks for your response. A few questions.

-There is any especial vegetable that you would recomend?
-I already drink mora than a galon of water. Finally get something right.
-my gym doesn’t have a incline walk machique, could i use the eliptic on max inclination?
-I thinking on cut down 300cal of my diet,im been doing some calcs and it seems that i am overeating (4300cal a day) 4000cal must be enough.

Thanks again
[/quote]
If I were to narrow it down, I’d say broccoli and spinach, steamed or sauteed.

Your gym doesn’t have a treadmill? And it doesn’t have an incline setting?

Really just find something to keep your heart rate around 120-130 for 20 minutes or so. Eventually you can up the cardio, but this is a pretty simple way to start.


#14

[quote]manotas wrote:

Well, i was thinking on doing smolov for the gains, and after it, continue with the 5x5 workout and cut some cals with it in order to get a little leaner. You think that is good?
[/quote]
Worth a try, I suppose.


#15

I have been able to get stronger while losing weight using programs with moderate intensity and high volume. For 5x5, I think you can get away with a caloric deficit during the beginning but it would be a lot more difficult during PR weeks. You can lighten your training max to extend the time it takes to hit PRs, giving you more time to cut as well.


#16

I would strongly recommend against steady state cardio at this point if you haven’t had any experience with tracking and managing your diet.

Figure out a baseline for all your macros. Find what maintains for you. When you’re ready to recomp, increase protein intake and adjust carbs and fat down. Add HIIT cardio. Keep your calorie deficit around a few hundred at most.

And don’t run smolov now, that’s nonsensical at your stage. It’s a peaking program anyway, and even could hurt you in the long run. Someone wrote about this recently but I don’t remember who. Basically think minimum effective dosage for training stimulus and you can see why it would be difficult to move forward past the first time you run smolov.


#17
  1. You need to eat less and be in a caloric deficit to lose weight
  2. Stop eating bro foods and eat real fucking meat (red meat, chicken thighs, pork)
  3. You’re going to want to lower your carbs and up your fat intake
  4. Do cardio only as a last resort and do CONDITIONING ie HIIT, prowler sprints, conditioning circuits et

I’ve made or matched PRs on all my lifts while losing weight and I’m stronger now at 188 then I was at 210+. Based on what I’ve experienced, I think the body more readily makes strength gains at a lower BF% (but of course no something absurdly low).


#18

How much do you lift on the big 3?


#19

[quote]magick wrote:
How much do you lift on the big 3?[/quote]
Not gonna speak for him but I went from 1443 to 1521 while in a cut from May til now, and still cutting.


#20

[quote]magick wrote:
How much do you lift on the big 3?[/quote]

330 bench
405 HBBS
520 sumo/505 conventional
350 Front Squat

at 6’ 188, dunno my LBBS I never do it. I’ve cut about 25-30 lbs since Spring.