How to Get Bigger Legs?

Ok so I am 27, 115 lbs. Been working out pretty vigorously for about a year, weightlifting, cardio, and abs. I work out about an hour an a half a day for 5 days a week and concentrate on a different area each day. I am eating as much protein and carb rich food and not currently using any supplements. I am trying to gain more muscle mass especially in my legs. My leg workout is currently:
Machine leg press- 4 sets of 12 reps (15 lbs)
Calf raises- 4 sets of 40 (same machine 12 lbs)
Machine quad- extension 4 sets of 8 reps (9 - 10 lbs)
Machine leg curl- 4 sets of 8 - 10 reps (4-5 lbs)
Occasionally I do 100 or so squats, sometimes with 15 lb weights.
Usually do 20 - 30 min of running

Picture shows my legs now (but they look a bit bigger in photos - camera adds 10 lbs right? lol)

i cant see any good coming from 4x40 for calves and neither from doing 100 squats. stick to the same reps youd do for other muscle groups, get stronger on a high tension movement (=squats!!!) and get some volume in through whatever accessory work (around 10-12 reps depending on the movement should be fine) you see fit

Do squats once a week and increase your weight. Do hill sprints. Look in to Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1.

sissy squat with the burlesque bump

Thank you guys! Good advice. Should I also return to using supps?

Yes, a good quality creatine and protein will help.

Thank you :smiley:

Big legs recipe:
x2 on Hill sprints
Heavy leg presses
squats

_Mel

Recently discovery that is putting size on my legs: stairs. These may be similar to hill sprints. We have stairs in our city up the side of the escarpment. One set is 330 steps. I run/climb/walk them three times up and down for time. My legs feel like rock afterward. I don’t know if a gym stair climber would be the same though.

Hi Firedancer

Focus on heavy compounds for legs like leg presses, squats and lunges. I would keep it to a rep range of 6-10 and end with higher reps on the legs extension and leg curls (10-15)

Compounds helps spike the anabolic hormones you need to grow your legs while the isolation exercises helps with seperation and definition.