How to Get Bigger Glutes?

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
Play around and see what makes your arse feel sore. [/quote]

Thanks for the advice. That’s one perfectly good hairbrush ruined.

When you do regular BB squats, make sure break at the hip, and use a moderate/wide stance. If you really exaggerate this, it’s a ton of glute activation.

JS

I’m really surprised to not see any outright A2G squat recommendations. I have built a pretty big ass with going deep as fuck with back squats. Although, gotta back all the lunge recommendations if done correctly.

Break at hips and A2G…got it! I’ll definitely need my lifting shoes for those.

Tried glute bridges…I find that doing them single-leg feels better–try them: you’ll be sore!!!

Pull-throughs. They are gentle on the back and if you do them right they are a major glute exercise, but you have to concentrate on doing them with the glutes. See the article last year by Tony Gentilcore.

I made myself a T-handle out of galvanized threaded pipe so I could do heavy swings (like a kettlebell). I have enough room for six 25 lb plates. My glutes and hamstrings grew a lot from doing these regularly. It really targets both hams and glutes (depending on knee flexion), but seems to leave out the lower back. I made the handle for 20 dollars.

Try different types of squats, deadlifts, good mornings, GHRs, back extensions, lunges, etc and see what you feel in your glutes best. This is similar to “what type of press works my chest best?” in the sense that different people will have different preferences

you said almost the all options for the gluetes.i will add some more exerices for you
hip extension(on body weight or machine)-isolate movement
smith machine squat-i know what you gonna say that smith machine are for pussies but it accutually targeting more gluetes and hams then regural squat.(also lunges)
also you can use the leg press machine and put you leg at the top of the machine.it will make the exercise to target more on your gluets then quads.

and the exercises that you mentioned like squat variations,deadlift variations and lunges.

*** also you can do good mornings but i dont reccomend on this exercise because the stress on your back,and you allready have back injury so the exercise is not for you.

High rep (15-20+) deep back squats probably do more for my glutes than anything else. Then again, I don’t do any direct work for them either, besides activation drills and goblet squats (which are also great for feeling the glutes as well).

kicked off my last hamstring session by super-setting glute ham raises & bulgarian split squats for a few sets each… took a few days to regain the ability to walk properly & sit down …

needless to say I’ll be starting my next hamstring session with the above

No one has said Bulgarian Split Squats?

My ass hurts for days after just a few sets of them.

i personally feel 45 degree back extensions pretty good im my glutes. esp with slower tempos. ie, 4020 for 6-8 reps

Deep squats, deadlifts, SLDs. Just the basics. Also, do antagonist work, which is basically the lower abs and hip flexors with heavy leg raises, I’ll strap 3 of those 20lb ankle weifhts to my leg and do single leg raises. I’ll also do the end portion, where I get fown on all fours, brong knee to chest with 50 lbs attached.

I dont know why you people do glute moves but just use bodyweight for leg raises. You’d think that you would want to be strong with both opposing movements.

Power cleans/snatches.

I started doing those (triples doubles and singles) and my glutes looked much better.

Do you have a picture of this? I can’t really picture in my head how you set it up.

Box squats
deadlift with bands/chains
kb swings

And probably the best one, reverse hypers with focus of squezing your hips into the bench.
If you are able to load them with ankle weights thats awesome. 1-3kg pr leg makes a huuuge differense.

Reverse lunges will probably hit you glutes harder than walking… do them with dumbells for a more forward leaned upper body…

man you’re ass will look FFFIINNNNNEEEE w/ these in your life, bring a puke bucket. it’s a pain different than most others, we all get use to training legs, ego comes into play…these lunges are fucking humbling and brutal.

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
Dudes I have a question

How in the hell do people make this barbell thrust look so easy? I tried to do it and I felt super bench-unstabley.

Also, I am incapable of doing the one legged bridge thing…? Do I have glute issues?
I have a not-small ass and I can do lots of weight on the ass machine, so what the hell?
EH?

[/quote]

sounds like you have hip flexor issues!

too tight in the front of the hips v= no power or growth in the glutes!

Lying Glute Bridges with a barbell.

Walking Lunges - Split Squats - Sumo Deads - Standard Back Squat etc.