T Nation

How to Get a Bigger Chest?

Okay im about 208 pounds and i have a bench max of 265…i know it sucks BUTT. i dont have much of a chest and i want to know wuts the most effective way to increase the size. At the same time my max goal is 315 on bench…any ideas how to get that up as well???

I work chest once a week.

week 1 (heavy)
bench 4x4 225lbs
incline 4x4 135lbs
decline 4x4 205lbs

week 2 (high rep)
Dumbbell bench 5x15 50lbs
Dumbbell incline 5x15 50lbs
Dumbbell flat bench butterfly 5x10 25lbs
Dumbbell incline bench butterfly 5x10 25lbs

Just lookin for any other ideas or ways to improve my work out

I would suggest working the chest twice per week. As an up-n-coming Power lifter, I hit the chest twice per week. The key is to listen to your body and focus on not over-training. In addition, you may want to look at the 5X5 program to build some mass and strength to your chest area.

Good luck on getting the big bench.

weighted dips work a treat, when you lean forward.

i’d suggest switching to a 5x5 routine for a couple months to get the strength up. Maybe Rippetoe’s (it worked great for me to get my strength back up) It seems like you’re trying to do two things at once and that’s not the most efficient way to achieve your goals.

Work on your strength, get it up there, then work on hypertrophy. That’s just my opinion, that’s what I’ve done in the past and am doing now and it works better than working with both strength loads one week then hypertrophy the next. It seems self defeating to me.

[quote]polo77j wrote:
i’d suggest switching to a 5x5 routine for a couple months to get the strength up. Maybe Rippetoe’s (it worked great for me to get my strength back up) It seems like you’re trying to do two things at once and that’s not the most efficient way to achieve your goals.

Work on your strength, get it up there, then work on hypertrophy. That’s just my opinion, that’s what I’ve done in the past and am doing now and it works better than working with both strength loads one week then hypertrophy the next. It seems self defeating to me.[/quote]

I agree

i don’t have much of a chest either. wide grip bench press seems to be helping in the size department. don’t know yet if it will end up helping my max though.

okay thanks for the advice. wut does the 5x5 workout entail? and should i do it twice a week? if so how many days apart? i work chest on mondays and take sat. and sun. off.

[quote]Sosruko wrote:
weighted dips work a treat, when you lean forward.[/quote]

Great advice.

Also, just type in 5x5 into the search bar buddy.

Alternating between the smith machine, benching with the bar, and benching with dumbells has worked wonders for me, personally. I’m sure you already do, but make sure you’re changing the angle of the bench as well. Try and hit the bottom and top of your chest harder than usual and see how that helps.

I’m not an expert on this, but you could also try WS4SB. If you want to focus on your chest, on the RE day you could do pre or post exhaustion stuff for your chest, or maybe do keep the range of motion of the presses to the bottom 2/3rds to focus on your chest (I think CT mentions this).

screw all these haters. these trolls want to see you fail and complaining and then quit bodybuilding.

It’s not about the weight. it’s not about strength. you are training for SIZE, not strength.

You should do this:

Incline Flyes 4x15 really emphasis the peak contraction as well as stretch, use a 2-0-3 tempo.

Flat Flyes 5x10 high reps to really pump the muscle full of blood and get a good squeeze.

Pec Deck 6x8 notice how the reps change on these exercises. the key is to keep changing. keep the body guessing, keeoing the body GROWING. on this exercise make sure you focus on the squeeze, and really force the muscle to grow.

notice in this workout that you are only doing exercises that stimulate purely the chest, no assisting muscle groups taking the stress off the pecks. this is why bench press, dips and other presses SUCK for building your chest.

DO this workout once a week for 8 weeks and then change the rep ranges. Also substitute dumbbells for kettlebells. make sure you stop each set when the speed slows down. You don’t want to go to failure and actually get too big.

Dont lock out on your bench presses, and add cable crossovers.

touch your chest with the bar

Most people who lack chest size or think they need to add chest size are lacking in their upper chest.

Sets and reps don’t mean shit.

[quote]mallen5 wrote:
Most people who lack chest size or think they need to add chest size are lacking in their upper chest.

Sets and reps don’t mean shit. [/quote]

this is part of my problem, too. from the side my upper chest looks a little “hollow” if you know what i mean. seems to gradually be filling in with lots of military pressing and some incline pressing (mostly mil press atm).

Ok … everyone. Read what he wrote in his post. He wants to hit 315; he’s at 265 right now. What does that say to you? He wants to improve his strength. Once he hits that he can concentrate on hypertrophy; this is a far better path than what he is doing presently. The only “haterz” are the ones who give half-assed advice before actually understanding what they’re advising.

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
screw all these haters. these trolls want to see you fail and complaining and then quit bodybuilding.

It’s not about the weight. it’s not about strength. you are training for SIZE, not strength.

You should do this:

Incline Flyes 4x15 really emphasis the peak contraction as well as stretch, use a 2-0-3 tempo.

Flat Flyes 5x10 high reps to really pump the muscle full of blood and get a good squeeze.

Pec Deck 6x8 notice how the reps change on these exercises. the key is to keep changing. keep the body guessing, keeoing the body GROWING. on this exercise make sure you focus on the squeeze, and really force the muscle to grow.

notice in this workout that you are only doing exercises that stimulate purely the chest, no assisting muscle groups taking the stress off the pecks. this is why bench press, dips and other presses SUCK for building your chest.

DO this workout once a week for 8 weeks and then change the rep ranges. Also substitute dumbbells for kettlebells. make sure you stop each set when the speed slows down. You don’t want to go to failure and actually get too big.[/quote]
blagalbgalbgalbablbahbahfashllj
Hey look, I can do it too.

[quote]R1boogeyman wrote:
Okay im about 208 pounds and i have a bench max of 265…i know it sucks BUTT. i dont have much of a chest and i want to know wuts the most effective way to increase the size. At the same time my max goal is 315 on bench…any ideas how to get that up as well???

[/quote]

“Most effective way to increase size?” “Any ideas how to get that up as well??”

It sounds like the 315 is secondary to size Mr. Reading comprehension.

You are the hater for bringing it up in the first place.

Everybody is so quick to confront people for stupid reasons. If you’re not the OP, back it down.

If you are trying to prove something…good luck.

[quote]Der Candy wrote:

You should do this:

DO this workout once a week for 8 weeks and then change the rep ranges. Also substitute dumbbells for kettlebells. make sure you stop each set when the speed slows down. You don’t want to go to failure and actually get too big.[/quote]

…i give up

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
…i give up
[/quote]

Don’t.I just noticed her nipple showing in your av.I’m sure of it…Get to big?

[quote]bond james bond wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
…i give up

Don’t.I just noticed her nipple showing in your av.I’m sure of it…Get to big?[/quote]

Kind of a small picture, were you really staring at it THAT hard, lol.