How to Get 2xBW Squat and 1.5xBW OHP Fast?

Hi all,
As title says, how you guys & gals do it to get there? What method? Sets & reps? Deload?
I’ve been lifting only squat (high bar), ohp (NOT pushpress), deadlift (conventional) about 1.5 years. Current stat:
Bw 65-66kg.
Max lift (in kg): squat 80, ohp 75 (this was last year november my bw 63.5), deadlift 140.

There isn’t a special lifting program, supplement, rep/set scheme, etc that’ll bring everyone up to those numbers ‘fast’.

Having said that, the fastest way to raise lift is to improve your form a lot. When you read stories about how people raised their numbers on a lift super fast, usually they’re coming back from some time off for whatever reason or they had some major form issues that they worked out.

While we’re on the subject of form, be sure you keep reasonably solid form on all your reps. An injury is a really good way not to raise your lifts fast.

Just choose a well established proven program and put in the time and work. This is a marathon not a sprint.

Be sure to keep a good log so you can figure out what does and doesn’t work. Not just the weight used and your reps/sets but also things like in no particular order:

1. how you felt going into workout. like do you really feel in the zone or did you get trash sleep and your dog just died.
  2. how hard were the sets and how well did you maintain form and you could even include bar speed
  3. anything that you think might be helpful to you if you were to go back to that log entry months from now
2 Likes

How does one overhead press 95% of what they can squat?

Anyway, if there was a clear way to get there fast, we would all be doing that instead of slogging it out the hard way, like suckers.

7 Likes

Thank you.
I keep different log lol. First is using 5x5 then 531, then 3x5, now is 3x5 mostly mixed with heavy low reps
Most of time i try not listen to my body that much. Had many days where i feel fresh but lift is struggle. And there’s also days i feel beaten because mostly i have bad sleep pattern, but surprisingly have great workout complete total volume.

What should we do more about going to that goal faster?

I feel my progress is slow because during 5 months (i started with 62-63 bw) i got increase from squat 50 for 7 to 65 for 5, then after that now currently 70 for 6 reps (i also notice slight increase strength after spend 1 week learning front squat).
Ohp progress very slow from 60 for 3-4 reps to that 1 rm pr. Currently i ohp 70 for 3. Havent test my 1 rm but i think only increase very little because my bw is 65-66 now.

I dont have youtube account, but you can check my instagram if you want. I’ve met a lot people who can bench heavier than they squat.
My background is calisthenics focused on basic strength move. Then i met with very strong powerlifter he can ohp 100 kg (bw 80) since then i got interested in learning more serious lift. Was lazy train leg back then lol. My first months progress is pretty fast on squat then started to slow a lot and now is not consistent

The form you talking about is it about

• stance width?
  • thumbless grip?
    I read & ask some friends almost all treat ohp as acessories, their main lift is bench. Never like bench. They give stiff chest shoulder for days. They said ohp is not part of powerlifter contest.

This is more like personal goal

Experiment and find whats comfortable for you. Its not one size fits all.

1 Like

The only people who bench more than they squat have chicken legs and skip leg day. Nothing to be proud of. Or they’re severely injured, which is also nothing to be proud of but also very unfortunate circumstances.

I think a 1.5xBW OHP is super impressive, and a 2xBW squat is unimpressive, especially at your weight. Check out what some 148/165 lifters are doing.

But all this being said, don’t make this goal so time bound and don’t rush it. Maybe prioritize your squat for now.

2 Likes

True. Nothing to be proud of with that difference in leg vs upper body ratio.
Got into 70 kg squat is not easy and its just beginning, i’ll keep working heavier on it. 2x bw squat is 1 of goal :grin: For me i’ll be happy if that achieved

Thank you.

Havent read & learn other program. I was using wendler, stronglift, then startingstrength. SS is by far give fastest progress… until that 70 for 5 reps then addin another rep is difficult. I got reliable 6th rep after practicing front squat. 5x5 sometime make body feel tired for 2 days

I’ll look for that. Thank you

All laid out here…

run a couple cycles then do something like a Dan John template

1 Like

Post some videos of your lifts. Then we can give you critiques. It’s hard to say without actually seeing your lifts.

As far as stance width or thumbless that’s largely just personal.

You said you’ve done the 5/3/1 program. Have your read any of the books Wendler has put out related to the program? They are fantastic goldmines of knowledge, wisdom, and information even if you never actually do the program and he has a very easy to understand writing style. I would definitely check them out and do a good thorough read and keep going back to it for reference.

1 Like

Thanks

Apparently now i remember have youtube account only have 1 video from few years ago of 1 arm pull haha
Here was my PR 75 at 63.5 bw

Appreciate any critics to improve

For squat i change my mind to keep using ss 3x5 :grin: It was pretty good progress on squat from my old notes i was lift lightweight.

Here is my squat 70kg for 5 at 65kg bodyweight (it was july, now i can do 6 reps)

531 i apply it on squat deadlift ohp for like 3-4 months i think. It makes my ohp weaker honestly and then i read about beyond 531 and stuff and become even more complicate lol
My powerlifter friend share his personal experience he said 5 reps 3 set is what made his progress going up fast. His stat is 80 BW: Squat 180, bench 160, DL 210 real strong

Generally what you guys do to achieve 2x bw squat & 1.5x bw ohp fastest? Any special tips / tricks? So far tips instantly improve lift, from what my friend told me (and read from online source):

• inhale & belly full hard (this helps easily add 5kg to my squat)
  • squeeze leg for ohp
  • avoid too many forced reps

Thank you
“Monday” 5x100% how is that possible?
I have no idea madcow program tbh :sweat_smile:
I guess will keep it simple with option number 1 then, but try to increase each week.
I doubt pushing too hard on squat as some people say it may cause hernia.
The increased weight is pretty good for squat, compared to ohp.

Gain weight/eat a ton quality food especially lean meat and fish.
At 65kgs/145lbs you are very undersized for any kind of weightlifting endeavor

If going to go Rippetoe route do Texas method instead of SS.

The Wendler routine I linked is superior to both though for your goals

1 Like

Got it

How much effect of food intake for strength development? Assume i eat “normal” daily menu: rice, eggs, fried fish etc
My friend is bulking up and he said if he eat less chicken lean meat he feel less powerful. I tried about 3 weeks adding more protein (white egg, fish, tempeh) but notice no difference in strength. However my abs was more visible that time.

wouldn’t increasing weight will make even more gap for that goal lift ratio? My weight was 63.5 now 65 pretty stable, squat gone up i think those extra muscle mainly on legs and fat too. Ohp progress very slow.

Updated:
Yesterday i tested my 1rm for ohp and got 80 at bw 65kg. Its 5kg increase since november (was 63.5 bw that time), so little compared to squat weight increase

Why not keep with SS?

I’d say that someone with a 1.5bw press could probably power his way into a 2xbw squat without much effort lol.
Squats will progress much quicker than ohp for the simple fact that you’re using much more muscle, I’m getting close to a 2xbw squat and from what I can tell, the easiest simplest way to achieve it is simply to squat, the lift will build itself. For me personally, working up to high reps helped feeling comfortable when I squat at heavier loads. Also, it’s a lift that you can practice more often without crippling you. 2xbw is not that kind of super duper elite strength that requires some specialization stuff or whatever.

1 Like

Is nobody gonna comment on the footwear? Am I the only one seeing this?

1 Like