T Nation

How to Gain Strength and Weight?

I have been going to the gym than stop than again, I am thinking of making a fresh start, back to the basics. What program to use and diet? I am looking for a good compound workout because I train karate it will have more benefit for me. Here is my picture is there hope for me? :frowning:

[quote]Xaptor wrote:
I have been going to the gym than stop than again, I am thinking of making a fresh start, back to the basics. What program to use and diet? I am looking for a good compound workout because I train karate it will have more benefit for me. Here is my picture is there hope for me? :([/quote]

1. Pick a beginner program with a solid track record of success. Some of the programs I can personally recommend are: Greyskull LP, muscle gaining secrets, Westside for Skinny bastards. Get stronger and do the right amount of volume.
  2. EAT. No one has ever gained weight of any kind without eating for it.
  3. Drop the “I train for karate” part. Unless you’re a nationally competitive athlete, you’re just someone who already engages in sports - which is a good base to build on, but you won’t need a special program because of it.
  4. Yes, there is hope. Many guys on here were skinnier than you when they started.

Thanks for advice. I’m tall 6’7"(201 cm) and weight 180 pounds(82 kg). I was aiming for 205 pounds(93 kg), I feel like 220 pounds(100 kg) is too hard to reach, for me that is.

[quote]Xaptor wrote:
Thanks for advice. I’m tall 6’7"(201 cm) and weight 180 pounds(82 kg). I was aiming for 205 pounds(93 kg), I feel like 220 pounds(100 kg) is too hard to reach, for me that is.[/quote]

I think 220 would be a good long term goal for you. If you start training, you will probably gain your first 20 pounds within the first year if you do things right. After that, things slow down. But this is a long term project anyway.

At 6’7 you will prob need to get to 220 to just look you even lift/not a beanpole and prob 240+ to begin to look built.

You’re going to have to learn to consume a buttload of protein and once in awhile go mental on calories as a whole…

Rapant Badger has you covered with the weight issue but lifting for tall guys can be a fair bit different then lifting for the little fellas.

Here’s an article just for tall lifters like yourself.

So much hope for you. Follow the advice given and you’re pretty set as long as you work hard and consistently.

Like the above said, good compound program. Stronglifts is a good option too. Also, in terms of bulking, its literally all about the food. With my experience when I went from skeleton mode to athletic-looking mode, after you stuff yourself for the first couple of weeks you begin to get used to it and eating in a surplus no longer becomes much of a difficulty. To be honest once you get a groove going with food and learn your form / successfully overload on all your main lifts and keep it consistent you’ll grow no matter what. Once you get in to the rhythm it will be too addicting to stop, youll know when youre there.

My 2c.

Anyone can make progress if they have the motivation and tools/resources. You can find the tools/resources in this forum but the work ethic and drive comes from you. You can gain 50 lbs if you really want to. Just stick with it, make mistakes, learn and grow. Don’t give up and work hard. Eventually it’ll become easy to work hard.

big ass weights and big ass steaks

[quote]Yogi wrote:
big ass weights and big ass steaks[/quote]

With potatoes

[quote]MarkKO wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
big ass weights and big ass steaks[/quote]

With potatoes[/quote]

haha, of course!