T Nation

How to Fix Rounding Back in Conventional Pull

I’ve been pulling sumo for about a year and a half my max pull with gear has only moved about 10 pounds(420). So I decided to go back to conventional where my raw pull was 410. I took video of my first pulls yesterday. The weight was light but I notice slight rounding in my back when the weight came off the floor but it snapped back after that. I posted this video to see if anyone can shed some light on what to fix on my conventional to get my form to where it needs to be. Thanks everyone.

You just need to get a better arch before you start pulling. You never really get an arch in your set-up. You may push your knees forward just a little (an inch or two) and really try to pick up your chest. You may also change your set-up and get your air and get tight before going down to get the bar. I’ve never been able to get my air as well or arch as well if I try to do those things while I’m bent over the bar. Try setting up like this and see if it helps:

1. Get your air and get tight
  2. Drop down and get your grip (since you are holding your air here, don’t linger over the bar)
  3. Arch, drop your hips, and pull

Here’s the video. Thanks for the suggestions.
[video]1639[/video]

scratch that, guess the video actually went live int he first post. Oh well guess there are two videos on the page…

[quote]SRS2000 wrote:
You just need to get a better arch before you start pulling. You never really get an arch in your set-up. You may push your knees forward just a little (an inch or two) and really try to pick up your chest. You may also change your set-up and get your air and get tight before going down to get the bar. I’ve never been able to get my air as well or arch as well if I try to do those things while I’m bent over the bar. Try setting up like this and see if it helps:

1. Get your air and get tight
  2. Drop down and get your grip (since you are holding your air here, don’t linger over the bar)
  3. Arch, drop your hips, and pull[/quote]

ok so basically ass down, chest up and let my knees track a little bit over the bar to achieve this?

Sounds about right. Once you get used to getting your arch, you can figure out how high or low you need your hips to be. Your hip position may not need to change alot, with a little knee movement and a conscious effort to arch it may only require dropping your hips just a little bit.

look up

Take a look at the Wild Iron Q&A thread for the deadlift tutorial video on the first page. They do a good job of explaining things and demonstrate how to get into the proper pulling position.