How To Fight

Does anyone have any tips on how to fight? Im just 16 years old and curious about the tips people may have.

Any links or anything would be helpful.

i once saw a guy use his fists…

You’re not going to learn anything over the internet, go out and train martial arts. just make sure you are doing it for the right reasons. I would recommend Muay Thai and Brazilian Jui Jitsu if you are serious.

I seriously hope you are joking.

If not, you are an idiot.

Here is a tip: lots of practise. Go up to the biggest guy you can find and call him a pussy. When he tells you where to go, tell him to bend over so you can drive home how big a pussy he is.

I bet you will get lots of practise that way. I hope that helps.

nike - just do it.

with basic lessons and lots of experience one can certainly learn how to hold their own.

[quote]scrooge wrote:

Here is a tip: lots of practise. Go up to the biggest guy you can find and call him a pussy. When he tells you where to go, tell him to bend over so you can drive home how big a pussy he is.

I bet you will get lots of practise that way. I hope that helps.[/quote]

Actually, im not an idiot. I didn’t know which martial arts i should get into… and so on and so forth.

Strike first.
Kicks to the junk and eye gouging work well.

Find yourself a good boxing gym. For the time invested, you won’t find a better return.

They’ll teach you to throw a punch, to protect yourself, and that there’s always someone out there who can kick your ass.

[quote]silent_circus wrote:
scrooge wrote:

I bet you will get lots of practise that way. I hope that helps.

Actually, im not an idiot. I didn’t know which martial arts i should get into… and so on and so forth.
[/quote]

any martial arts will be the best for you, ya beginner. just remember, fighting will teach you how to fight; martial arts will teach you about it’s system.

Apologies, I thought it was a joke.

I would recommend that you go to a variety of different martial art schools and participate for a few classes, don’t just watch. Once you have been to several, you will get a feel for what direction you want to head. Then, practice. A lot.

Also, choose something like boxing, BJJ, or some freestyle art where there is full contact. Do not fool yourself into thinking you can fight by going to a Karate or TKD class that just teaches kata and one-step “sparring”. It is important to know what it feels like to be really hit hard.

Hope that helps.

…I remember being a punk 16 year old.

Now I’m a punk 18 year old, but regardless, you’re dumb for asking “how to fight.” Next time try being less dumb, like asking “How can I learn proper self defense and martial arts?” or something like that.

Damn whippersnappers.

A Moment of Xen:

“500.”

“500 what dipshit?! spits on his shoes

takes off jacket to reveal rugged muscles tattoos and scar’s

“500 Fights. Thats the number I figured when I was a kid. The number of street fights you would need to have to be considered a legitimate tough guy…”

He continues…

“A funny thing happens on the way to 500, suddenly it doesn’t become about the number anymore, you begin to lose track and its at that moment that you realize what you’ve become- and you learn a very important lesson…”

head butts opponent, opponent falls and continues to beat on him till unconcious.

---------------------------------

… brief explanation.

The biggest fight you’ll ever have is to avoid a fight. Which is what I reccomend that you practice. If you’re going to have to fight- Hit first, hit hard, and keep fucking hitting.

(I’ve been involved in some kind of combat sport all my life. But until i went to juvy for 3 months I didn’t know shit about fighting…yes juvy is small time blah blah learned a lot from it assholes.)

If you want to learn to fight I encourage you to take up wrestling and boxing. No kung fu-y stuff. You’ll just your ass beat. If someone says something stupid like you’ll break your hands boxing (which in some cases is true but just because they hit so fucking hard to silly targets)… then open your hands.

Sound stupid? Sound like you’re bitch slapping someone?

Getting slapped by your mom/gf with an arm slap is lot different then getting PALMED by a fucking man. You can probably download some japanese pankration fights off kazaa or something… Frank Shamrock, and Bas Rutten fought in a few all open handed strikes. You can devestate someone with your open hands. No “shuto” knife hand shit…but just straight up palms.

Same boxing mechanics, just open hands.

Kickboxing is good, Only muay thai though (or san da if you find a qualified instructor which there are about 4 in the country (?) )but the most thing you can benefit from that [muay thai] is the clinch work. Where most fights end up before they end up on the ground. Finish it there, and you can fight his friends.

Greco Roman wrestling will help you to finish the fight standing also. (Clinch work again)

A list of martial arts to look into.

Folkstyle/Collegiate Wrestling
Greco Roman Wrestling
Brazillian Jiujitsu
Muay Thai Kickboxing
Western Boxing

You can no doubt find a boxing gym, and your high school probably has a wrestling team. Box, and befriend the coach/team member ask if you can train with them in the off season, or if he’ll show you how to wrestle, just how to defend takedowns if anything.

If you’re lucky you might have a “Straight Blast Gym” in your area. If thats the case do whatever is necessary to train there. You won’t regret it.

Unless you already have a SUBSTANTIAL base and a dedicated training partner, don’t train from a video.

That being said, its definitely hard to synergise boxing and wrestling because they two different animals. Stand up fighting…moving thru the clinch…takedown to the ground.

At one time when i was training each separately (wrestling with a club and boxing at a dedicated gym), little nuances I picked up change the game from soley wrestling or soley boxing to actually FIGHTING. These I picked up though by holding my own mini UFC’s. I’d get headgear, and an assortment of gloves (boxing, mma, jkd styled ones) and go to the nearest large flat grassy area with some friends from either sport and just work it out.

I’m not encouraging that at all… you’ll get hurt (a lot). But what i’m saying is that you a lot of fighting is EXPERIENCE.

You’re going to learn anything by practicing forms or even hitting the heavy bag all the time. Fighting has to be ALIVE.

ALL of that said…

1.Go find a boxing gym & learn how to sprawl.

Or some sort of fight qualified instructor. Something where you spar. (Not taekwondo…thats fag tag, NOT sparring)

You’re not gonna learn shit by just reading a website or watching tape. No one becomes a good fighter through video-jitsu.

1. Get your cardio up, 20seconds in a street fight will tax you more than you think.

2. Get your sprinting speed up to. Cause if they have a knife or something. If the opportunity is there, I’m not going to pull a Jackie Chan, I"m going to pull a Carl Lewis and be GONE.

Clickity Clack,

-Xen

[quote]monkm wrote:
Strike first.
Kicks to the junk and eye gouging work well.

[/quote]

Unless you go to a school… you damage the bitch in anyway if it gets reported you get shit about it. Kicked out of school etc. Best way I learned from school yard fights when I was younger (meaning 11-12) was to shoot for a low single ( i had no idea what this was at the time), and just drop them on their ass… more than likely after that time authorities will come and he’s already embarassed cause he’s on his ass…

just mentioning that cause dude is still in high school.

Even if the fight is outside of the school you can still get in trouble.

Unless you go to high school in a REAL neighborhood…in that case bring a gun and friends. :smiley:

[quote]scrooge wrote:
Apologies, I thought it was a joke.

I would recommend that you go to a variety of different martial art schools and participate for a few classes, don’t just watch. Once you have been to several, you will get a feel for what direction you want to head. Then, practice. A lot.

Also, choose something like boxing, BJJ, or some freestyle art where there is full contact. Do not fool yourself into thinking you can fight by going to a Karate or TKD class that just teaches kata and one-step “sparring”. It is important to know what it feels like to be really hit hard.

Hope that helps.

ViolentVegan wrote:

Find yourself a good boxing gym. For the time invested, you won’t find a better return.

They’ll teach you to throw a punch, to protect yourself, and that there’s always someone out there who can kick your ass.
[/quote]

Both true and very good advice. Don’t ignore the gems of wisdom you’re getting here. Pile them up and you’ll have quite a treasure.

-Xen

The best advice you are getting here is that which directs you to wrestling or boxing.

For the most part (and, yes, I know there are a few legitimate exceptions) stay away from places that give away belts. It’s not about form (though there are elements of form). It’s not about how long you’ve paid your membership, nor is it about the membership fee. It’s about fighting.

I’ve seen too many places that give
away belts based on the fee you’ve paid. And, I’ve seen too many brown and black belts get their asses kicked, kicked easily, by those without belts.

Workout, too. Train to be stronger. Train to be faster. Train to be more flexible. Train to have endurance. Remember, you’re not looking to be a bodybuilder here. For the most part (and, again, there are exceptions) these guys are big and slow (and often surprisingly weak for their size). None of this is an advantage in a fight.

Too, remember something else: there is a reason there are weight classes in boxing and wrestling. All other things being equal, the bigger man almost always wins. His reach, his additional weight, and his leverage all act in his favor over a smaller opponent.

But, the best advice you’ve been given is avoid fighting.

Fighting should always be done for sport or to defend yourself. It’s never about proving you’re a “tough” guy.

All men are made of flesh and blood. All men are weak. All men are vulnerable. All men get tired, confused, angry, etc. They bleed. They die.

That is why they are called men and not gods.

1. Don’t be a bully and don’t start trouble.

2. It is good to learn how to defend one’s self. Learning an elbow strike and a knee strike from Thai boxing is great as are some simple Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu techniques like fighting from the “guard” position. In general, I’d agree with those who said learn a martial art from a reputable school.

My job is fighting. I have three peices of advice. 1. listen to Xen. 2. listen to Xen. 3. Learn combat, not martial arts. e.g. Krav Maga

Rolo

I usually just fall to the ground play dead. They quit kicking you after a while. The hard part is learning not to whimper when they’re kicking you - that takes balls, my friend.

my recomendations:

find a boxing gym or full contact kickboxing group. Learning how to take a punch is as important as throwing one.

join the wrestling team. Most brawls end up on the ground. If you can find a free style wrestiling team or your school supports that, even better.

Get Big and Strong - always and advantage.

The best way to really learn to fight, wait two years (in your case) join the Army as a Ranger and get the recruiter to guarantee Jungle Warfare School in Panama. You will then be the baddest guy in the neighborhood and you get paid for it.