How To Fend Off A Busybody?

[quote]mutayshun wrote:
OP, he’s probably hinting that you’re fat. It’s okay, I do the same thing to my sisters and girlfriend; not that my girlfriend is fat, because she isn’t, she’s a model actually and goes down on me like 5 times a day, but that’s besides the point. I do it because it makes me feel good about myself. In your case though, your dad is definitely alluding to the fact that you’re morbidly obese and that he can no longer stand the sight of you. Obviously his advice of doing steady state cardio is to try and get you to lose some weight; which is ridiculous. This is America, and it’s your right to be fat! So I say stay strong, and keep being fat! [/quote]

LOL at this entire post!

there is plenty of material in the nsca books “the essentails of strength training and conditioning” about the effects of cardiovascular exercise on the heart and no where in it does it say that an exercise need to be aerobic to offer a cardiovascular benifit. most of the coaches that write articles on this site have the quailifcation from the nsca, the books are written by people who have their doctorits in the physical perfromance field… it talks about aerobic exercise as steady state and maximal… covers anytn youd need to know, all the basic benifits, increased cardiac output, srtoke volume, incresed mithocondria, capillaires all the things you associate with steady state are the simialr to interval type training. it doesnt have to be aerobic… get him to try some “anerobic conditiong” and then have him tell you its not working his heart or lungs…

also as far as your heart being made up of slow twitch fibers, ive never heard that before. your heart is made up of a completley different kind of muscle than skeletal or smooth muslce…

Your dad is right. Listen to him and do alittle cardio. Its good for you. My guess is u only train with weights, and want a reason to stay out of shape. No worries, ive been there. For two years i ignored all cardio training and only lifted weights. then one day i went for a mountain run with my cousin… 3 minutes into it i was close to going into cardiac arrest. Not fun feeling like an out of shape fat bastard. since that day ive been doing mountain runs 2-3 times per week.

[quote]whatever2k wrote:
Your dad is right. Listen to him and do alittle cardio. Its good for you. My guess is u only train with weights, and want a reason to stay out of shape. No worries, ive been there. For two years i ignored all cardio training and only lifted weights. then one day i went for a mountain run with my cousin… 3 minutes into it i was close to going into cardiac arrest. Not fun feeling like an out of shape fat bastard. since that day ive been doing mountain runs 2-3 times per week. [/quote]

Lol, I can’t tell if you’re being facetious or not, but I already do interval and sandbag work. In fact, I just got done with some hill sprints.

[quote]dOcean13 wrote:
Tell him you’re going on a run. Then go crash two garbage trucks, set a house on fire, dropkick a cat out of a tree, barrel roll into a group of senior citizens, drink ten gallons of peanut oil, pick a fight with some mailmen, rob a walmart, conquer Mongolia with a refurbished printer, eat a whole pig raw, and go over some chick’s house and fingerbang her.

Two and a half birds with one stone partner.[/quote]

Fixed

How’s THAT for aerobics???

[quote]xjusticex2013x wrote:

Lol, I can’t tell if you’re being facetious or not, but I already do interval and sandbag work. In fact, I just got done with some hill sprints. [/quote]

Invite him along for some intervals or hill sprints and see how his heart holds up to that sort of energy work. Tell him if he has a lower heartrate afterward, you’ll switch over to steady-state cardio, like he suggested, because its obviously better. But if your heartrate is lower, then you get to keep training like you’re training because there’s obviously something to it.

[quote]whatever2k wrote:
Your dad is right. Listen to him and do alittle cardio. Its good for you. My guess is u only train with weights, and want a reason to stay out of shape. No worries, ive been there. For two years i ignored all cardio training and only lifted weights. then one day i went for a mountain run with my cousin… 3 minutes into it i was close to going into cardiac arrest. Not fun feeling like an out of shape fat bastard. since that day ive been doing mountain runs 2-3 times per week. [/quote]

His Dad was nagging him about steady state cardio. Something like a mountain run is not steady state cardio.

Have him push a car with you and follow it with some sprints and kettlebell snatching.

[quote]xjusticex2013x wrote:
This is a peculiar topic, but here it goes…

My dad keeps on nagging me about doing steady-state cardio and how it’s absolutely critical to cardiovascular health (riiight…). He claims that the heart is made up of slow-twitch muscles, and therefore only aerobic exercise properly works it. He also believes that anaerobics do nothing to increase cardiovascular conditioning/fitness/health. This crap is really getting irritating and I fear that he may even interfere with my training. I don’t know very much about the effects of different exercise types on the heart, so could you guys give me some info that will make him shut up about it and leave me alone? [/quote]

Hey man, I think it’s cool your dad takes an interest in your training. Savour it. I don’t see how he’ll end up interfering with your training short of cutting your means to get to the gym or work out there. Just listen to him quietly, say “thanks for the advice Dad” and continue to do your own thing. Leave printed articles from T Nation sprinkled on your coffee table (something by Cosgrove ideally). I’ve found over time Dads just want whats best for you but will leave you alone when you’re more mature and/or achieving your results. My relationship with my Dad was never good growing up but now at 32 it’s never been better.

[quote]Davinci.v2 wrote:

[quote]whatever2k wrote:

His Dad was nagging him about steady state cardio. Something like a mountain run is not steady state cardio.[/quote]

What is it then? Intervals for me is short bursts of max intensity followed by cool downs or rest periods. When I run, I run a good 3-5 km at a more steady moderate pace, with a pulse ranging from 140-160 depending on how steep it is. That is steady state cardio. Steady state cardio doesent have to mean walking on a treadmill at a pace that barely elevates ur pulse until u die from boredom.

If the gradient is variable and ever changing, then so is the intensity, thus it’s not steady. Also thanks for educating me about walking on a treadmill, that helps.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]dles91 wrote:
I’d disagree. It’s not disrespectful AT ALL… The dad is just going to think your a smart ass. Cause if I said that when I was 15 he’d smack me. [/quote]

you said you disagree with me and that its not disrespectful at all? But then you say that the dads going to think your a smart ass… how is being a smart ass to your parents not disrespectful?
[/quote]

I’m saying it wouldn’t be disrespectful if he meant it in a mature way.

The dad however is going to think he’s being a smart ass. JUST BECAUSE he’s young so he will presume he’s saying it just to disagree with his dad, not because hes made a mature intellectual statement. That’s just parental bias. Which most of the time is right.

Just say ok and then don’t do it. Intervals, etc. are pretty good, but at 15 years old you don’t really need to be worrying about your heart health too much. Just get strong. When you’re 40+ you can start worrying about cardiovascular exercise.

Really, long slow distance exercise saps strength like nothing else. Long jogging sessions and strength training hate each other.

If anything this kid is smart for worrying about his heart health. Don’t wait til your 40, slick.

throw in some low intensity, long duration steady state as well. Eat more. He’s paying for the food.