T Nation

How To Feel Chins In Lats?

I do not think they compare.

You’ve just given me a new excuse to buy another X mount for the wall for my bands. Kudos sir

1 Like

This is a topic for something more specific (i.e geeky) but it’s true. The muscle activation sequencing for standing and lying are separate but it has to do with ground reaction forces. Chris Beardsley uses the standing position for his tests to measure muscle recovery (https://www.facebook.com/StrengthandConditioningResearch/photos/a.314294568681572.67805.173905069387190/1306108382833514/?type=3&theater). I asked him a question regarding Tricep press-downs VS bench pressing.

When you are standing, you activate the lats more because they act in the transverse plane. The opposing force in pull-ups is gravity and in the standing position, there’s a firm plot of ground to bank your pulling forces on.

However, In the lying position, it’s hard to feel the muscles in the initial position because the muscle fibers are at its weakest state (least activated position) and they rely on synergistic muscles like the biceps so it’s only good for isolation training (feel the muscle). The opposing force here is the machine (upwards) so it’s like a reverse pull-up and it contradicts the exercise. In this case, ground reaction force is from the bench and it’s hard to feedback to the lats so you get less stimulation out of it.

But to reply to your question, pfury was asking if there’s any way to alleviate the shoulder stress so I recommended this exercise as you incidentally have to use less weight and saves on the shoulder activation in replacement for more synergistic activation.

@Christian_Thibaudeau bent torso at 45 degree or standing straight?

Great reading