T Nation

How to Explain Steroids Aren't Cheating?


How would you explain to someone how taking steroids is not “cheating” but just another way of achieving a certain set of goals.

They say its a sport, and athletes shouldnt use performance enhancing drugs. I say who has the right to say those drugs should be banned.

Please help me out. Its severely frustrating.

**Like trying to tell your parents that a high protein diet wont kill me or that squatting below parrallel isnt bad for your knees.

It’s cheating if you are in a tested federation where the rules are clearly stated. You have agreed upon it when you first entered the sport. The governing body has the right to say those drugs are banned. I know this doesn’t further your argument, but its the truth.

[quote]pro-a-ggression wrote:
How would you explain to someone how taking steroids is not “cheating” but just another way of achieving a certain set of goals.

They say its a sport, and athletes shouldnt use performance enhancing drugs. I say who has the right to say those drugs should be banned.

Please help me out. Its severely frustrating.

**Like trying to tell your parents that a high protein diet wont kill me or that squatting below parrallel isnt bad for your knees.[/quote]
do what you want,make the gains,tell everyone to shut the fuck up. your progress and your actions will show them wrong.
words mean nothing to brainwashed people.

if you want to stop getting frustrated about steroid conversations…stop talking about steroids.

This thread irks me.

[quote]HARA wrote:
if you want to stop getting frustrated about steroid conversations…stop talking about steroids.

[/quote]

ZING!

[quote]HARA wrote:
if you want to stop getting frustrated about steroid conversations…stop talking about steroids.

[/quote]

Seriously, that’s all that needs to be said.

I don’t understand the point of your frustration.

Newsflash… It is cheating. Just like holding AS in your sleeve during a card game. It can get you in trouble, but boy’o’boy winning that pile of cash is sweet or what?

I don’t want to be disrespectful on anybody but explaining my self or any choices I make with my life and body is my own, and if you don’t like it GTFO.

People today do far worst things in terms of “cheating” then some pile of vials and pills that most of people take not for any material benefits, just for pure self indulgence.

In what capacity are you talking about using steroids though?

Using them in competition when they are banned under league rules is definitely cheating.

Using them to look good nekkid, obviously not.

[quote]HvRv wrote:
I don’t understand the point of your frustration.

“How would you explain to someone how taking steroids is not “cheating” but just another way of achieving a certain set of goals.”

Newsflash… It is cheating. Just like holding AS in your sleeve during a card game. It can get you in trouble, but boy’o’boy winning that pile of cash is sweet or what?

I don’t want to be disrespectful on anybody but explaining my self or any choices I make with my life and body is my own, and if you don’t like it GTFO.

People today do far worst things in terms of “cheating” then some pile of vials and pills that most of people take not for any material benefits, just for pure self indulgence.[/quote]

If your not entering any competitions where steroids would confer a advantage, or competing in, for example, untested Bodybuilding shows where steroid use is expected I do not believe using steroids is cheating.

The common argument for people not competing is that you are cheating yourself by using (using artificial means in order to cheat what your body could naturally do). This argument to me is flawed, as 1, many drugs/ other artificial, unnatural products are taken by humans to achieve things that naturally they could not (diabetics taking insulin for example). No one would say that this is ‘cheating’, yet when the random gym junkie starts cheating those who do not take quickly shout that he is cheating, implying there is a competition between the user and themselves, when in reality there is none.

If your goal is to get as big and strong as possible one could argue that by NOT taking steroids they are depriving themselves of there ‘true’ potential.

Personally I do not and may never take steroids. I still support them however.

how can people be cheating at something that most of the time, isn’t a competition?

i used to think that way when i started out, but now i don’t care what people use. If you are natty and still bigger and stronger than someone who is juicing, Then forshame on them.

whatever. the ones who whine about steroids being cheating are the ones who haven’t been putting enough time and effort into the gym. you want to compete naturally? enter a heavily tested league.

I don’t really consider it cheating. “taking the easy way out” is more fitting.

The only thing that annoys me about steroids are the people that use them and then stand by the excuse that they got their build naturally. That’s a slapshot to the face of any natural weightlifter.

Don´t talk about them.

I argue that they’re the same shit as birth control. Birth control is estrogen and progestrin (sp?) that allows people to “cheat” by having sex without those pesky unwanted pregnancies.

It’d be pretty easy to compare them to any drug/chemical, if the person you’re arguing with has allergies, tell them their allergy medication is cheating, if they get migraines, tell them Advil is cheating because without those things make things “easier” (not miserable with allergy attacks or lying in bed with a throbbing head) just like steroids make building muscle easier.

[quote]aussie101 wrote:
HvRv wrote:
I don’t understand the point of your frustration.

“How would you explain to someone how taking steroids is not “cheating” but just another way of achieving a certain set of goals.”

Newsflash… It is cheating. Just like holding AS in your sleeve during a card game. It can get you in trouble, but boy’o’boy winning that pile of cash is sweet or what?

I don’t want to be disrespectful on anybody but explaining my self or any choices I make with my life and body is my own, and if you don’t like it GTFO.

People today do far worst things in terms of “cheating” then some pile of vials and pills that most of people take not for any material benefits, just for pure self indulgence.

If your not entering any competitions where steroids would confer a advantage, or competing in, for example, untested Bodybuilding shows where steroid use is expected I do not believe using steroids is cheating.

The common argument for people not competing is that you are cheating yourself by using (using artificial means in order to cheat what your body could naturally do). This argument to me is flawed, as 1, many drugs/ other artificial, unnatural products are taken by humans to achieve things that naturally they could not (diabetics taking insulin for example). No one would say that this is ‘cheating’, yet when the random gym junkie starts cheating those who do not take quickly shout that he is cheating, implying there is a competition between the user and themselves, when in reality there is none.

If your goal is to get as big and strong as possible one could argue that by NOT taking steroids they are depriving themselves of there ‘true’ potential.

Personally I do not and may never take steroids. I still support them however. [/quote]

Maybe one can’t see the point of my post but its as close to you’re post.
to simplify my post - is it cheating? In a way yes. Does it matter most of the time? Not really.

Nah i agree, on all these points, using and entering a natural comp, yes cheating. using and entering an untested comp, not cheating.

I say, the ideal way is to achieve a body that looks natural in proportion symmetry and muscularly. And if steroids allowes you to achieve this then go ahead. I support the use because without the usage, it wouldnt be as big and as popular as it is today. BRING ON THE MASS MONSTERS!! Symmetrical mass monsters that is =)

Too many variables.

Move on.

Oh… wait… hear that? It’s a barbell calling you!

Yeah basically just argue that “cheating” is context specific, it was illegal to wear metal cleats for football in my high school league, yet ok for other sports. So in the context of football metal cleats would have been cheating, but int he context of lacrosse it would have been fine.

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
I don’t really consider it cheating. “taking the easy way out” is more fitting.

The only thing that annoys me about steroids are the people that use them and then stand by the excuse that they got their build naturally. That’s a slapshot to the face of any natural weightlifter.[/quote]

maybe if everyone wasnt so ignorant about steroid use they wouldnt have to lie.

[quote]schultzie wrote:
how can people be cheating at something that most of the time, isn’t a competition?

[/quote]

exactly.

its what smaller people use to rationalize their shortcomings.

“i know ive been 160 pounds for 4 months but thats cause i dont cheat”