T Nation

How to Estimate Body Fat %?

how would i do a rough estimate as to what my body fat percentage is, so i know how much i need to cut to get rid of my bland and saggy look?

Hold up a shoe

If you want an approximation, post a picture. A few people around here can give you a rough guess.

YOu can try getting a fat caliper:

[quote]dreadlocks1221 wrote:

[/quote]

Know a good site to refer to to actually read results from the calipers?

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]dreadlocks1221 wrote:

[/quote]

Know a good site to refer to to actually read results from the calipers?[/quote]

Honestly no, I don’t use them personally, I just look at myself in the mirror

I believe that abs usually come out around the 12% mark, for what thats worth : )

@ LoRez you might find a caliper in a store and read the instructions inside the box.

[quote]BHappy wrote:
@ LoRez you might find a caliper in a store and read the instructions inside the box.[/quote]

I have a set of real (?) calipers. Accurate to a thousandth of an inch. But they’re not, um, “bodyfat” calipers.

So I’m just wondering where I can find a conversion table… how many inches/mm at which points is what % bf. I’ve seen a few tables around the web, I’m just wondering which are considered good.

[quote]Forcesguy wrote:
how would i do a rough estimate as to what my body fat percentage is, so i know how much i need to cut to get rid of my bland and saggy look?[/quote]
bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/

Here is another:

These calculators will obviously only “estimate” your body fat but it will give you a ballpark to play in when setting fat lose goals.

I’ve always used pics of other people to gauge my bf%.

I also have a cheap pair of scales that claims to be able to tell my bodyfat by shooting electricity through me or something. Seems to fit in roughly with those pics.

Q: How to Estimate Body Fat %?

A: Don’t. Bodyfat percentages have no real world application or translation, plus they’ve difficult and inconsistent to accurately measure in the first place.

If you’re looking to set markers to track fat loss progress, take pictures, try on the same clothes to see how they’re fitting, and tack circumference measurements (neck, chest/upper torso, upper arms, waist, upper legs, lower legs).

[quote]Lo Rez wrote:
how many inches/mm at which points is what % bf. I’ve seen a few tables around the web, I’m just wondering which are considered good.[/quote]
It’s not so much a straightforward “mm = %”, it’s a total of several site measurements (usually 3, 7, or 11 different spots get pinched) and then some calculations follow. Also worth noting, though, is that if you’re taking the measurements on yourself, you’re really only going to be able to get three spots kinda accurately, so you’re getting a very, very rough measurement.

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:
I’ve always used pics of other people to gauge my bf%. [/quote]
Along these lines, I often refer people to pictures of UFC fighters at weigh-ins.. True, they don’t train specifically for hypertrophy, but I find that gives a better way to at least visualize what X height at a lean Y bodyweight can look like. Not perfect, but better than basing it off bodybuilders whose actual bodyweights aren’t often known.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Q: How to Estimate Body Fat %?

A: Don’t. Bodyfat percentages have no real world application or translation, plus they’ve difficult and inconsistent to accurately measure in the first place.
[/quote]

Exactly. Why do people focus on this?

Calipers are accurate +_ 7%. In other words, not very accurate. They may be useful for trending. But so is the mirror.

the mirror is horseshit. at least your home mirror is horseshit. if you look in the same mirror every day, you will only notice the “changes” since the last time you looked at it. these are negligible, so the perceived changes will arise from psychological issues based on how you last workout went and things like that. Instead, if there’s a mirror you see yourself in once/week (maybe at girlfriend’s house), that can be useful. Photos can work too. Personally, i use chins. If my rep max on chins increases, my body comp has improved. I’ve seen this work well for men time and time again. for women, i’m less convicted.

I know you’re about to say, “but that doesn’t take into account lower body”. i know. and for somehow who does nothing but chins, it may be flawed. now, read about how Dan John found a very strong correlation between max chin reps and 40 yr dash performance in his athletes. Then, find a dude who can do 20, competition caliber pullups who does NOT have shredded abs. I’m sure such a person exists, but i have yet to run into him.

thanks guys! ill definatly do these things, as for posting a picture as i am right now with a shoe i dont know where my camera is at the moment but i think im at about 18% still my profile picture was at 18% at 220 lbs so im not sure but thanks for all the information

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=10+percent+body+fat&hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&biw=1400&bih=843&tbm=isch&tbnid=qVkdi7sxtTe71M:&imgrefurl=http://planyourfitness.com/benefits-of-having-low-body-fat-levels&docid=QeaRwArBAm7ZiM&imgurl=http://planyourfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/men-body-fat-low1.jpg&w=618&h=454&ei=Y6t4UPr3LfO70QGnq4CwAQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=460&vpy=302&dur=999&hovh=192&hovw=262&tx=177&ty=78&sig=116119097043394275236&page=1&tbnh=146&tbnw=199&start=0&ndsp=34&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0,i:95

check this out^^^^^^^

calipers arent accurate neither are electric weighers,
only accurate things within 3 percent are
bodypod
hydrostatic weighing

dex machine is within1 percent

best eaiest cheapest way look at muscle definition, vascularity, and muscle seperation and the photos above in the link i sent

Cubuff2028- I agree with alot of what your saying but just wanted to chime in… wesley Clayborn very fast and upcoming Strongman here in the south weighs 300+ and no shit can 20 chin ups anyday of the week its sick to watch due to the fact I weight 100+ pounds les than him and on a good day he beats me by a easy 5

[quote]Forcesguy wrote:
thanks guys! ill definatly do these things, as for posting a picture as i am right now with a shoe i dont know where my camera is at the moment but i think im at about 18% still my profile picture was at 18% at 220 lbs so im not sure but thanks for all the information [/quote]

I’d say closer to like 22-23% in your avi.