T Nation

How to Enhance Rote Memorization

Hi guys, so I am studying for some big exams and I really need to just memorize a bunch of names and characteristics verbatum. I am much more of a concept guy and am not very good at memorizing. Any tips? Supplements, study habits, anything would help!

Thanks!

Tell you what I've been doing is to write the information repeatedly while saying it to myself.

So if I needed to memorize a list of capitals of states I'd write

Alabama Montgomery
Alaska Juneau
Arizona Phoenix
Arkansas Little Rock
California Sacramento

do this in groups of 3-5 and put the groups together after you've mastered a new group.

Repetition and multiple sensory input is the key. This gives you the visual, audio, and touch sensory pathways. You see what you're writing, you hear yourself say it, and you feel the word you're writing on the paper.

After that, repetition and review are the keys. Each time, start with what you've already covered and drill what you miss the same way.

Oh, and it doesn't work to do it while the football game is on. I've tried. :slight_smile:

Okay def get what you're saying, and it sounds good. Should this be done in flashcard form or just on paper going down in a list?

HHAHAHA that is how I always study! Even if it is on mute? = )

I just draw a huge concept map, put the definitions where they belong, and try to understand the connections between them (This may not be applicable)

Bonus points if it's a field that allows pretty pictures (Cell structures, which I am studying now)

Haven't tried on mute but part of the idea is to make what you're writing your only focus.

I have a spiral notebook I just keep filling with writing.

I also use flashcards to review vocabulary words but the writing technique to pound it into my head.

My page will look something like this

Alabama Montgomery Alaska Juneau Arizona Phoenix Arkansas Little Rock California Sacramento Alabama Montgomery Alaska Juneau Arizona Phoenix Arkansas Little Rock California Sacramento Alabama Montgomery Alaska Juneau Arizona Phoenix Arkansas Little Rock California Sacramento Alabama Montgomery Alaska Juneau Arizona Phoenix Arkansas Little Rock California Sacramento Alabama Montgomery Alaska Juneau Arizona Phoenix Arkansas Little Rock California Sacramento Alabama Montgomery Alaska Juneau Arizona Phoenix Arkansas Little Rock California Sacramento Alabama Montgomery Alaska Juneau Arizona Phoenix Arkansas Little Rock California Sacramento Alabama Montgomery Alaska Juneau Arizona Phoenix Arkansas Little Rock California Sacramento Alabama Montgomery Alaska Juneau Arizona Phoenix Arkansas Little Rock California Sacramento Alabama Montgomery Alaska Juneau Arizona Phoenix Arkansas Little Rock California Sacramento

Good luck on your tests.

Good luck to both of you guys as well. Thanks for the input so far!

Silverhydra-I think I can apply the concept map for somethings, so I might try that as well, thanks!

martynspeck, that is an extremely good way to memorize things in a rote fashion. I have a friend who's a neuroscientist and she recommends something incredibly similar. I've found flashcards to work wonders for me, but I will give this a go during finals.

As for the physiological, I have found that eating ludicrously high levels of vegetables helped me immensely. I'm talking somewhere along the lines of two huge salads and 2-3 vegetable juices in a day. I have always had severe ADD and this seemed to all but clear it up. Also, make sure that you are getting plenty of fish oil.

Something else that I have found useful is a cd from the Monroe Institute. It's called concentration and its just an hour long track of beta waves. really helps.

This is how I learned the japanese hiragana and katakana.

Cooked or raw? Does it matter? How much fish oil we talkin? I do about 3g/day now, more than that?

For me it's New Testament Greek.

I try to consume as much raw as possible, but it won't hurt if you have some cooked in their as well. For fish oil, go much higher. you're wasting your time with anything less than 10g. I don't know if this applies to Flameout, as I've never taken the stuff.

youre in college, theres adderall everywhere...and i never lost my appetite like some people say.

Go over the names first thing in the morning, then right before bed.

Try to look at them as often as possible. Rote is like High Frequency training. The number of exposures to the material is more beneficial than the total time studying. So its better to review for 20 minutes 6 times in a day than for two hours straight.

That worked for me, but we all learn differently. Auditory, visually, manually (interacting physically) or some combo, so the more of those you can hit the better too. Writing the information down repeatedly, or somehow recording your self saying the info and then listening to it repeatedly.

Actually I am not in college, or at least a traditional college. And buddy, if I am going to spend money on drugs....its going to something good, not add meds := ) = )!

^This is something i've been trying to work on, and if you think about it like ME and DE days it makes a lot of sense (Even if it sounds really fucking nerdy). Obviously your Dynamic Effort studying days will be low intensity but high volume I.E. You might look over the entire chapter, learn a thing or two, then close the book. Eventually you'll learn everything from your DE days and it will all come together on ME day. ME day should be the night before the exam, when you just study all of it, and put your brain to the test.

So i realize that metaphor is lame as hell, but it's working for me.

Haha... god i am a nerd..

Brain Boosters and Brain Boosters 2.0 threads here on T-Nation.

Nootropics are where it's at.

You ought to give those threads a good hard read and post questions at the end of them if you've got them and some of the guys who know a decent bit will probably respond. BBB still lurks around here sometimes.

so i didnt read all of this and dont know if this has been said but i once had a high school teacher who told us for memorization to read something 3 time straight through 3 times a day for 3-7 days and then bam its stored in the back of your head. she had this whole story behind it but thats the just if it makes sense? Also for my midterm today i woke up early and read everything right before the exam, short term memory for the win.