How to Eat More

Greetings. I started a new training program and it has thus far been very successful, judging by my new PR’s thus far. I am having trouble eating more.

I have certainly increased my diet about 500kcal since I started, but I totally dropped cardio for a short time to see how my body responds. As such, I am burning less energy overall. I am still not gaining weight.

When I am in the gym, and sometimes at home, I feel as if I have to vomit almost all the time. I eat when I am not hungry, right before bed, sometimes in the middle of the night, and immediately after waking up. During the day I do develop a strong appetite still, so it isn’t as if I always have to force myself to eat. But, sometimes I do.

I don’t have a problem forcing myself to eat, but how can I possibly add mass if I feel full all the time. I eat probably every hour, so for me to outline my “meals” would be useless. Here is a typical day, in order from early AM to before bed.

Total cereal w/ oatmeal, nuts, OJ, whey protein
Post-workout: whey shake + apple, sweet potatoes
Beans, brussel sprouts, broccoli, salmon
3 omega egg w/ yolk sandwich (oat bread), w/ spinach
multigrain pasta w/ tuna sauce
*oatmeal, crackers, nuts, fresh fruit, raw vegetables throughout the day. also, homemade almond butter (PB is kind of lame)
lentil slop w/ turkey sausage and brown rice
before bed: yogurt w/ casein protein and raw vegetables, sometimes nuts.

By the time I get to the lentil slop, I am stuffed. Eating that last meal is a real challenge and I look like a pregnant woman before bed.

My weight has not increased (5’10 155-6 lbs) but I think I am building some muscle mass as my lifts are increasing. To make sure that I do not prematurely stall out, I need to take in more calories. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

How long have you been lifting?

Take a picture now, and take a picture in 2 or 3 months. Once you really get into it it will never look like you are gaining weight.

oh yeah your basically eating diet food. Food that takes up space but doesn’t have alot of dense calories.

Slowly up the steak, chicken breasts, and normal pasta.

I’ve been lifting for a few years but only recently have I realized what a weak program I was following. Not enough of the basic exercises, too much isolation. WAY too much volume and frequency, not enough intensity. My low back and lower body has some catching up to do with my pushes and pulls, but deadlifts and squats have become my #1 priority for adding both mass and strength.

I am a runner and swimmer by sport, so I have a reasonable amount of strength and coordination despite being new to the no-shit lifting business.

I do intend on cutting out some of the high-fiber foods (I know I get much more than I need daily) and replace them with more caloric-dense stuff. I have been eating more nuts and making more homemade nut butter too. I will have my pictures taken this afternoon given your advice. Thanks much.

Peanuts and Olive Oil are your friends if you’re trying to get more calories in.

[quote]ninjaboy wrote:
Peanuts and Olive Oil are your friends if you’re trying to get more calories in.[/quote]

to simplify this even more…healthy fats in general are a good idea.

Natural peanut butter
Milk
Almonds

Blend stuff. Blend everything.

I just had:

1/2 cup oats
1/2 pint whole milk
1 tblsp peanut butter
1 tblsp olive oil
1 banana

blend.

then let it sit for 2 hours in the fridge (so the air rises and leaves the mix - helps believe me).

i barely notice drinking this and its about 700 -800 cals.

I hate hearing this question, as it gets asked all the time and is fucking stupid. Sip olive oil. I could put down another 3000 kcal a day doing this alone. Heavy cream works as well, and tastes better. Make shakes from whey, olive oil, and heavy cream. If you go light on the water, you could add 5000kcal a day without blinking. Stop eating lentils.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
I hate hearing this question, as it gets asked all the time and is fucking stupid. Sip olive oil. I could put down another 3000 kcal a day doing this alone. Heavy cream works as well, and tastes better. Make shakes from whey, olive oil, and heavy cream. If you go light on the water, you could add 5000kcal a day without blinking. Stop eating lentils.[/quote]

Word. And up the carbs if you want to up the weight. Its called eating tons of sweet potatos and oats.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
I hate hearing this question, as it gets asked all the time and is fucking stupid. Sip olive oil. I could put down another 3000 kcal a day doing this alone.

Heavy cream works as well, and tastes better. Make shakes from whey, olive oil, and heavy cream. If you go light on the water, you could add 5000kcal a day without blinking. Stop eating lentils.[/quote]

+1

doesn’t have to be olive oil… peanut butter, coconut oil, etc etc - so many healthy fats around! and, yes, make shakes, you’ll feel full for a shorter period of time.

Yeah, when I bulked I would just drink a shake (1 scoop whey + 2tbsp nat PB) with every whole food meal. Of course increasing carb intake a lot helped too.

My fav

PB with a spoon in it sitting on the counter
every time ya walk by it eats a spoon fuul
and then cause your mouths sticky from 1-2 spoon fuuls of pb you have to go to the fridge and get a glass of whole milk

Thats like 1000 cals right there

Digestive enzymes/HCl.

For me they almost completely get rid of indigestion and more importantly they make you absorb more food.

They are a god-send on a bulk. I have found a general blend like solgar’s to be better than just pure hcl.

Can search Poliquin and Thibs on this for more info, they are always banging on about their benefits.

Carlos

Food processor

Use your mouth.

Try a progression just like you do when you hit the iron:

Week 1: +1 tbsp heavy cream to all protein shakes

Week 2: +1 sweet potato to lunch

Week 3: +1 cup milk to >/=1 protein shake daily

Week 4: Add something else and, when you throw it up, drink your barf. It may be disgusting, but the barf symbolizes my spite for you actually having trouble not eating enough. You must conquer it.

[quote]Trenchant wrote:
Vicomte wrote:
I hate hearing this question, as it gets asked all the time and is fucking stupid. Sip olive oil. I could put down another 3000 kcal a day doing this alone. Heavy cream works as well, and tastes better. Make shakes from whey, olive oil, and heavy cream. If you go light on the water, you could add 5000kcal a day without blinking. Stop eating lentils.

Word. And up the carbs if you want to up the weight. Its called eating tons of sweet potatos and oats. [/quote]

That works too. I’m thinking in AD terms at the moment.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
I hate hearing this question, as it gets asked all the time and is fucking stupid. Sip olive oil. I could put down another 3000 kcal a day doing this alone. Heavy cream works as well, and tastes better. Make shakes from whey, olive oil, and heavy cream. If you go light on the water, you could add 5000kcal a day without blinking. Stop eating lentils.[/quote]

This advice is about as good as you’re going to get. That and keep a jar of peanut butter around you at all times.

Oh yeah, another money shake idea… Milk + avocado + splenda. Most people don’t realise it, but avocado has a neutral taste and is good in both sweet AND savoury foods.

As a small female who is taking in a ton of calories and stuffing her face every couple of hours, I sympathize. My only advice is to just suck it up and push down the food. It may sound dumb, but I try to visualize every bite as another inch on my biceps… train hard in the kitchen like you would in the gym.