T Nation

How to Eat at College

Hey, I was going to post this in the supplements and nutrition section but I think this is more of a beginners question

This whole semester I have been doing an internship in an office. I have only seriously begin training in December during break, so that for the entirety of my training I have had fairly good nutrition, access to healthy foods and opportunities to eat every few hours.

I will be returning to school for my senior year in August, and I want to know if you guys have any recommendations on eating/prep habits? I won’t have as much time to cook as I do now. Also I have big blocks of classes, how do you recommend I eat then?

Anyway, if anybody is/has been in school with a similar dilemma and has a solution or recommendations, please respond

Thanks

are you going to be living in a dorm/apt/house?

do you have a stove? microwave? fridge?

let us know your situation so we know what you can work with.

there are a ton of college dudes on here with some pretty good ideas when it comes to nutrition.

I have blocks of class every day and i find just having a box of protein bars and protein drinks are a good way to help, since I’m assuming you won’t be able to eat a full meal between classes. But I really find these help out.

On days where I have a couple hours of lecture and then a couple hours of lab I prepare shakes in the morning to bring with me. You can pull one out between classes and drink it. Toss in some pecans with your protein powder in the blender in the morning and can easily toss back 5-600 kcal between classes.

Nuts and protein powder are your friend. Prepare meals you can take in a tupperware. Extra bonus points if you can locate and use a microwave.

Starkist makes tuna packets that you can rip open and eat with a fork. Easy to eat in between or even in class.

i like pizza

I usually just put food into my mouth…
But serially, if you can’t get a meal for a while, just eat a bigger one when you do get the opportunity. Also, milk and protein powder are your friends.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
are you going to be living in a dorm/apt/house?

do you have a stove? microwave? fridge?

let us know your situation so we know what you can work with.

there are a ton of college dudes on here with some pretty good ideas when it comes to nutrition.[/quote]

I am going to be living in a house off campus, so I have access to a full kitchen. Also most buildings on campus have microwaves… should I use them with leftovers from dinner?

What do you bring your protein shake to class in? My protein shaker always drips, and I find that the water bottles don’t have enough space to store the amount of shake I will be carrying around. I figure I will be buying a ton of protein bars, but those can get expensive really fast and I’d like to stay away from the expensive stuff.

Thanks for the advice

Per serving, compared to food, protein supps are actually pretty cheap. A sandwhich will probably be 4 or 5 bucks, that’s two MD bars I think for the same price.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
Per serving, compared to food, protein supps are actually pretty cheap. A sandwhich will probably be 4 or 5 bucks, that’s two MD bars I think for the same price.[/quote]

huh?

i buy a huge loaf of bread, a stack of cheese slices, 1/2lb of sliced ham, and assorted vegatables for like 10bucks from publix.

enough sandwiches for a week.

[quote]BSrunner wrote:
I am going to be living in a house off campus, so I have access to a full kitchen. Also most buildings on campus have microwaves… should I use them with leftovers from dinner?

What do you bring your protein shake to class in? My protein shaker always drips, and I find that the water bottles don’t have enough space to store the amount of shake I will be carrying around. I figure I will be buying a ton of protein bars, but those can get expensive really fast and I’d like to stay away from the expensive stuff.

Thanks for the advice[/quote]

awesome man.

i was def find some recipies where you can make a lot of shit and then leave it in the fridge.

beef chili is def the bomb. make a HUGE ass pot of it, try to finish it throughout the week.

spagetti and meatballs is another thing. you can def microwave it a few days later and it still be good.

EGGS man. eggs are cheap as hell, and it takes all of 5 min to cook a 4 egg omlette in the morning.

is there a little cesears by you? 5 bucks for a large pepperoni pizza? freaking score! even better than 5 dollar footlongs from subway.

I always bring meatballs to class and microwave that shit. Just out of curiosity, where are you going to school?

[quote]BSrunner wrote:

Thanks for the advice[/quote]

I actually have a magic bullet blender, and it comes with twist on lids that are pretty leak proof. If you can ever invest in a magic bullet, it’s worth the money. I’ve used mine every day since I got it for Christmas.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
chimera182 wrote:
Per serving, compared to food, protein supps are actually pretty cheap. A sandwhich will probably be 4 or 5 bucks, that’s two MD bars I think for the same price.

huh?

i buy a huge loaf of bread, a stack of cheese slices, 1/2lb of sliced ham, and assorted vegatables for like 10bucks from publix.

enough sandwiches for a week.[/quote]

Haha, I was just thinking in terms of actually buying a sandwich- think subway and the like.

[quote]JonBlood wrote:
I always bring meatballs to class and microwave that shit. Just out of curiosity, where are you going to school?[/quote]

I go to Cornell U which is upstate New York. I know that there are a lot of syracuse/RIT alums around, anybody go to school in frigid (don’t let anybody tell you its gorgeous) upstate NY?

Great advice all around, thank a lot.

I think the key might be in the cooking for myself since I’m off the meal plan. I can’t afford to get one of those professional plans where they spell out each meal with recipes, but I might be able to afford a book that does it. I’ll look into that magic bullet blender, and I’ll try to head to the supermarket and get food on the cheap.

Also, I realized that there is a local farmers market (as there is in most college towns) that might have cheap grass fed beef that I am definitely going to look into. At the very minimum they will have cheap veggies and eggs that will be good for me.

One of the biggest hurdles for me at school is to get over the fact that I am packing a Tupperware of George Foreman grill (I can’t live without this thing) chicken to my classes. I’ll have to deal with the weird looks I get when I take out my protein shaker in the middle of a 3 hour exam. Definitely one of the easier things to get over in life.

Thanks again

[quote]One of the biggest hurdles for me at school is to get over the fact that I am packing a Tupperware of George Foreman grill (I can’t live without this thing) chicken to my classes. I’ll have to deal with the weird looks I get when I take out my protein shaker in the middle of a 3 hour exam. Definitely one of the easier things to get over in life.

Thanks again[/quote]

I was in the same boat as you dude. I used to bring 3-4 meals at a time to my classes (I was off campus), and eat whatever was in them between taking notes on my laptop.

Instead of weird looks, people just commented on how much I ate and I joked with them too. If you’re not comfortable saying “I want to be a bodybuilder” and feel like you’re going to get laughed at just say “I’m re-building my athletic base and nutrition is a big part of it”.

But again, no one is going to outcast you because you’re eating in class, personally, I took pride in being the only one in my Sports Admin class to, ironically, understand the importance of eating properly, when a bunch of my classmates played for the college teams and one or two were provided grants by the government. One guy joked how he thought I was sponsored by tupperware, there was nothin malicious in it though, as a few people could have wrapped their hands around his arm.

Im a grad student right now and am quite busy. I used to love cooking fancy meals but don’t have much time or energy to do such things regularly anymore.

I’ve found that having food readily accessible in my house helps me eat more. If there’s nothing convenient, I tend to just wave off eating and don’t really bother.

Aside from protein shakes, I’ve been having an avocado mixed with a can of tuna and some olive oil and ground flax, and a dash of lemon juice. Takes 5 minutes to cut up the avocado and put it in a tupperware with the rest and I can eat whenever I have time.

Another easy meal, I’ve found a new love for frozen vegetables and ground beef. I really like this mix that I can get at Dominick’s, safeway brand “Stirfry vegetables with asparagus”. I will saute up some ground beef and put it in a container in the fridge and when I need to make some food, I open up a pack of the veggies and saute it with some beef and rice and soy sauce. Simple and takes minimal time.

Steak is also really easy to make…

[quote]BSrunner wrote:
JonBlood wrote:
I always bring meatballs to class and microwave that shit. Just out of curiosity, where are you going to school?

I go to Cornell U which is upstate New York. I know that there are a lot of syracuse/RIT alums around, anybody go to school in frigid (don’t let anybody tell you its gorgeous) upstate NY?

Great advice all around, thank a lot.

I think the key might be in the cooking for myself since I’m off the meal plan. I can’t afford to get one of those professional plans where they spell out each meal with recipes, but I might be able to afford a book that does it. I’ll look into that magic bullet blender, and I’ll try to head to the supermarket and get food on the cheap.

Also, I realized that there is a local farmers market (as there is in most college towns) that might have cheap grass fed beef that I am definitely going to look into. At the very minimum they will have cheap veggies and eggs that will be good for me.

One of the biggest hurdles for me at school is to get over the fact that I am packing a Tupperware of George Foreman grill (I can’t live without this thing) chicken to my classes. I’ll have to deal with the weird looks I get when I take out my protein shaker in the middle of a 3 hour exam. Definitely one of the easier things to get over in life.

Thanks again[/quote]

Ithaca College sophomore here :smiley:

I’ve had an unlimited meal plan since freshman year, resident Tupperware ninja of the dining hall.

If you have an excessive mealplan like i do you can go to the cafeteria 5 times a day and just get chicken or salad with vegetables. The place i go to offers ‘to go’ boxes that you can just walk away with.

So i tell them i get it to go and sit in front of my next class building and eat the food.

And if i have time, i usually just eat at lakeside (all you can eat) because they have a veggie bar and usually at least one type of chicken. So that takes care of most of my nutrients for the day.

Also i have 200 meal plans to use by the end of the week… Anyone up for some free food?

Edit: Freshman at University of Alabama