How to Do 'Ok' in Life

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Chances are if you’re regularly logging into a ‘health/fitness’ site like T-Nation, then you’re probably doing “OK” in life.

Better question:

How to do EXCEPTIONAL in life?[/quote]

This is so FUCKEN true ^.

Most fuckups would never be able to do what majority of people on this site do day in and day out.

[quote]optheta wrote:
Most fuckups would never be able to do what majority of people on this site do day in and day out.[/quote]

Pick things up and put them down?

[quote]anonym wrote:

[quote]optheta wrote:
Most fuckups would never be able to do what majority of people on this site do day in and day out.[/quote]

Pick things up and put them down?[/quote]

The DL is so yesteryear. Think bigger.

[quote]Samir wrote:
Basically, from watching everyone around me screw up, I’ve determined that if you do 3/5 + the mandatory edict of the following, you’re OK in life. If you do more than 3/5, you’re fucked.

1. Don’t have kids with the wrong girl

2. Don’t overbuy on a house or a car

3. Take care of your health first (physical and mental), everything else later.

4. Don’t study something without a plan for monetizing it down the road (so, you can study philosophy, if, for example, you plan to go teach English and Philosophy abroad…Just don’t do it and be like WTF.

5. Don’t use credit to buy anything that depreciates other than a car, maybe. So NO LINE OF CREDIT to buy a couch. Fu-k yo couch, ni–a.

And a mandatory one

1. Don’t get addicted to shit that can ruin your life. Drugs, Warcraft, chasing pussy beyond a reasonable extent, for example.

Basically, you don’t have to do anything else, and you’re good to go. Plenty of time to have fun and enjoy the simple things in life, and it keeps you humble. [/quote]

I have 2 I try to live by:

1- Don’t lie to yourself -

Q-Am I living beyond what I earn?

Q-Can I keep my lifestyle for 8 months to a year if I lose my job?

Q-Am I living Healthy and keeping my mind sharp?

2- Keep Moving (stay active) everyday and never stop learning.

Sharks are not the only ones that need to keep moving to live it just takes us longer to die from it.

[quote]Houston07 wrote:

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
I don’t buy the addiction is genetics bullshit at all. Perhaps with food etc, because we all have to eat to some extent, and healthy food is more expensive and less convenient and some people get caught in a cycle of overeating and depression. I was a fat kid, I know what that was like.

But crack and Crystal Meth? Come the fuck on. I’m sure I would be addicted to crystal meth if I had ever been dumb enough to try it.

Crack and Crystal Meth are bad, Mmmmkay. STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM THEM AND PEOPLE WHO USE THEM. Few things in life are simpler than that.[/quote]

Agree completely. I do think there a few exceptions, such as alcohol, where genetics MIGHT play a bigger role and this isn’t a hard drug and isn’t as avoidable, so fair enough.

But the best prevention for addiction is to never try it once obviously, which double applys to all the stupid shit that people clearly know is fucking stupid when they first embark upon it. [/quote]

Oh, so where did you do your genetics studies at???

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:
Pretty much follow the ten commendments (less the first 4) and you’ll do all these things, and more.[/quote]

fixed[/quote]

Honor your father and mother?

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
I did all of those wrong except the credit for a couch thing and destroyed everything around me.

Fortunately, when I did them right everything became copacetic.

I still don’t have a very nice couch.

[/quote]

We gotta meet someday – got a lot of respect for you.[/quote]

Thanks Chushin, and likewise. Next time you’re back in town give me a holler. I have it on good authority that there is a place over in Bridgeville that makes some killer hoagies.

[quote]Dt546 wrote:

[quote]Houston07 wrote:

I don’t buy the addiction is genetics bullshit at all. Perhaps with food etc, because we all have to eat to some extent, and healthy food is more expensive and less convenient and some people get caught in a cycle of overeating and depression. I was a fat kid, I know what that was like.

But crack and Crystal Meth? Come the fuck on. I’m sure I would be addicted to crystal meth if I had ever been dumb enough to try it.

Crack and Crystal Meth are bad, Mmmmkay. STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM THEM AND PEOPLE WHO USE THEM. Few things in life are simpler than that.[/quote]

Agree completely. I do think there a few exceptions, such as alcohol, where genetics MIGHT play a bigger role and this isn’t a hard drug and isn’t as avoidable, so fair enough.

But the best prevention for addiction is to never try it once obviously, which double applys to all the stupid shit that people clearly know is fucking stupid when they first embark upon it. [/quote]

[/quote]

Dt, I can understand your frustration with these types of opinions, but sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

Even in the best case scenario, their opinion is formed out of lack of experience, and in the worst case- too much first hand experience.

One I would like to add is (and maybe this fits into the previous comments about feeling comfortable with yourself) is don’t feel the need to prove yourself.

You don’t have to race someone to prove your car is faster, you don’t have to hit someone to prove to the world that you’re tough.

This kind of thinking - that Marty McFly syndrome, if you will - can lead to disaster. Having a chip on your shoulder is a sure-fire way to find trouble.

[quote]Dt546 wrote:

[quote]Houston07 wrote:

[/quote]

Is that directed at me? If so, Where did you do yours?

Who forced you to smoke crack?

How many people do you know who smoke crack aren’t addicted because of their super awesome genetics?

I’d like to meet someone who’s genetics are so fucking awesome they can smoke crystal meth and not have their life totally wrecked by it.

[quote]Dt546 wrote:
To touch on #6, you have oversimplified the “dont get addicted to drugs” thing. If it were that simple, than no one would get addicted to drugs. There is a whole lot that goes into it, and it is estimated 60% of drug addictions are the result of the individuals genetics. Pretty hard to avoid your genetics, not saying this as a cop-out, but a large portion of the population does not understand addiction (and make ignorent statements like “dont be a dumbass and get addicted to drugs”). I am an addict in recovery, and I can say with near certainty, that drug addiction was unavoidable for me, and no matter my surroundings it was going to run its course. I am not suggesting anyone who thinks they are an addict should go out and do as many drugs as possible so the addiction can “run its course.” I am saying that it is not a black and white subject, and cannot be simplified into “dont get addicted to drugs.”[/quote]

I LOL’d before I got even half way thru. Whatever else you said, yes it is “that simple”.

[quote]Samir wrote:
Basically, from watching everyone around me screw up, I’ve determined that if you do 3/5 + the mandatory edict of the following, you’re OK in life. If you do more than 3/5, you’re fucked.

1. Don’t have kids with the wrong girl

2. Don’t overbuy on a house or a car

3. Take care of your health first (physical and mental), everything else later.

4. Don’t study something without a plan for monetizing it down the road (so, you can study philosophy, if, for example, you plan to go teach English and Philosophy abroad…Just don’t do it and be like WTF.

5. Don’t use credit to buy anything that depreciates other than a car, maybe. So NO LINE OF CREDIT to buy a couch. Fu-k yo couch, ni–a.

And a mandatory one

1. Don’t get addicted to shit that can ruin your life. Drugs, Warcraft, chasing pussy beyond a reasonable extent, for example.

Basically, you don’t have to do anything else, and you’re good to go. Plenty of time to have fun and enjoy the simple things in life, and it keeps you humble. [/quote]

I like the list. I’d change #5 to don’t finance anything that depreciates, especially a car. Number 1 is the most difficult. It’s so hard to get it right with women. I’ve been with the same woman for 20 years, I still love her and my future with her looks great. I wish I could say I had some kind of wisdom that helped me pick the right woman, but really, it was the right timing and luck.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]Dt546 wrote:

[quote]Houston07 wrote:

[/quote]

Dt, I can understand your frustration with these types of opinions, but sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

Even in the best case scenario, their opinion is formed out of lack of experience, and in the worst case- too much first hand experience.
[/quote]

Unfortunately you are correct. I have worked in the addiction field, and it is frustrating to see ignorance of this level regarding something so common in todays society. With that sort of mindset we as a society cant move past treating drug addicts like lepers, and actually offer the rehabilitation they need.

[quote]Dt546 wrote:

[quote]Houston07 wrote:

[/quote]

Is that directed at me? If so, Where did you do yours?

Who forced you to smoke crack?

How many people do you know who smoke crack aren’t addicted because of their super awesome genetics?

I’d like to meet someone who’s genetics are so fucking awesome they can smoke crystal meth and not have their life totally wrecked by it.[/quote]

Plenty of people due drugs and do not become dependent, either physically or psychologically.

“According to the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Science, 32 percent of people who try tobacco become dependent, as do 23 percent of those who try heroin, 17 percent who try cocaine, 15 percent who try alcohol and 9 percent who try marijuana.”

I am simply stating that my experience with addiction (personal and profesional) is that it is not a black and white issue. If telling people “Drugs are bad mmk,” kept them off drugs, than our prison systems would be a lot less crowded.

Hey you dickfors, why don’t you start your own thread to argue about addiction and leave this one alone?

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Chances are if you’re regularly logging into a ‘health/fitness’ site like T-Nation, then you’re probably doing “OK” in life.

Better question:

How to do EXCEPTIONAL in life?[/quote]

Great point mate, here’s some things I think are important, most I learnt from my dad.

• Set realistic goals (that still push you out of your comfort zone) in all areas of your life (not just training), plan where you are going to be in your career 2-5 years ahead of time and what you need to do to get there

• Have balls- it’s amazing to me the amount of hugely talented people I see around me that get nowhere in life because they just don’t have the balls to ask for what they want!! if you want the promotion or pay raise, ask for it, it’s amazing the positive effect that having ambition has on your life

• Hang around people that are successful and copy them, look at how they react / respond to the different situations and then slowly incorporate those traits into your own persona, when you start to then take on board those characteristics, people will treat you differently

• Don’t be a Dick, if you retain good relations with everyone it’s amazing the amount of opportunities it can create for you

• Speak your mind, if you can look your friends / colleagues in the eye and tell them exactly what you think in a way which is firm but fair, the amount of respect you will get from those people will go through the roof, not many people in life have integrity and honesty.

• Discipline, it is the job of the father to ensure his kids are on the right track, tough love is the most beautiful gift a father can bestow upon his children