T Nation

How to Do Farmer Walks?

Hi little buddies,

Im about to be in off-season and I have decided to add more variety and spend more time in the gym in this time.

Inspired by Wendlers latest article, I want to add farmer walks into my training. i would probably leave them for last as a “finisher”. My goals are to be strong and un-breakable.

Anyway what type of weight, distance and reps should I be aiming for? I will be using dumbells, and there isnt a great amount of floor room at my gym. The heaviest dB I have at my current gym is 50kg.

To give you an idea of my current levels, my max bench and squat are about 120kg and 150kg respectively.

Thanks in advance.

tweet

Depends on how strong your grip is honestly. I would start with around 60 or 70 lbs in each hand. Shoot for 2-3 sets of Max distance or time once you can meet a certain distance or time go up 5-10lbs. About the limited floor space you could always add in plain farmers holds are just as taxing in my opinion and or ask if you could take a set of DBs into the parking lot not sure if that possible for you but some smaller " hole in the wall " gyms where every one knows each other it may not be a problem.

What does Wendler suggest?

i was wondering something along those lines as well, when doing them should my shoulder blades be pulled together or should i i keep my traps in a shrugged position?

[quote]Andrewcarr224 wrote:
i was wondering something along those lines as well, when doing them should my shoulder blades be pulled together or should i i keep my traps in a shrugged position?[/quote]

I think your meant to try and keep proper posture; chest out and shoulders back.

I tried them today with 2 35kg’s dBs. Did 3 sets. First set I got about 25 metres and the next 2 I managed about 15 meters. My grip is what failed me.

Should I maybe try using a lighter weight and hence get a little more distance in? Will using less weight be less work on my grip, and maybe more work for the other muscles involved?

tweet

If you’re limited on space use the space you have and use the same weight until it becomes easy, try the next weight until it becomes challenging then stick with it until it becomes easy again. If you don’t think you can walk out and carry it back then go stand by the rack and just hold them until they fall. Do it.

What “day” does everyone do them on? I’ve heard doing them on leg day for extra volume, back/shoulder day for traps, and even arm day for forearms

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]Andrewcarr224 wrote:
i was wondering something along those lines as well, when doing them should my shoulder blades be pulled together or should i i keep my traps in a shrugged position?[/quote]

I think your meant to try and keep proper posture; chest out and shoulders back.

I tried them today with 2 35kg’s dBs. Did 3 sets. First set I got about 25 metres and the next 2 I managed about 15 meters. My grip is what failed me.

Should I maybe try using a lighter weight and hence get a little more distance in? Will using less weight be less work on my grip, and maybe more work for the other muscles involved?

tweet[/quote]

did you chalk up (or liquid chalk or something)? Because with your strength levels I would figure you’d be able to do the 50kg (the heaviest ones you said your gym had) already.

Does your gym have a trap bar? Bc you can use that when you run out of heavy dumbbells.

[quote]theBird wrote:
i would probably leave them for last as a “finisher”. My goals are to be strong and un-breakable.[/quote]
Considering those (vague) goals, and depending on exactly what else you want/need to address in the offseason, you might want to consider Eric Cressey’s offseason program. The template has one day with, dun-dun-dunnnnn, farmer’s walks as a finisher:

Goals:

Other farmer’s walk articles:

Being stuck with limited weights and limited walking space will definitely end up being an issue at some point. Like Other-Chris said, a trap bar would be an option. I also use two triceps bars (a.k.a. multi-purpose bar) for doing farmer’s walks at home. Or like Remu said, just make the most out of each weight before progressing.

Increasing the gap between these would be a good goal for the offseason.

[quote]chobbs wrote:
What “day” does everyone do them on? I’ve heard doing them on leg day for extra volume, back/shoulder day for traps, and even arm day for forearms[/quote]
Ha, that’s the thing. Because they work everything one way or another, they’re versatile enough that you can add them pretty much anytime to either finish off whatever else you hit that day and give some work to whatever didn’t get attention. Generally though, I prefer to use them as the first exercise on a conditioning day, so that the cardio aspect is more of a focus than the muscular factor.

Chris87- I got some liquid chalk, but I don’t think that will make much difference. I couldn’t hold on to the dBs cause my hands were fried, not because they were slipping! Maybe I should use straps, although I like the idea of improving my grip strength.

Colucci- Thanks for the links… Ill have a read. Ill be moving to a new gym soon and I believe they have more suited equipment for us t-men!!

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:
Chris87- I got some liquid chalk, but I don’t think that will make much difference. I couldn’t hold on to the dBs cause my hands were fried, not because they were slipping! Maybe I should use straps, although I like the idea of improving my grip strength.[/quote]

Using straps would defeat one of the major purposes of this exercise. Don’t do it. Lower the weights, your grip will always be the limiting factor on FW’s - this is the way it is supposed to be.

Wow, some people should go work on a farm.

I remember when I worked on a farm when I was 13. I started by carrying two half pail (balance thing, easier then 1 full pail) of grains. By the end of the summer I was carrying two pails in each hand with ease.

Pick up some dumbells at the gym, walk around for a while. Increase 5% every week. When it gets too hard, deload.