T Nation

How to Do a Good Cut

[quote]matsm21 wrote:
Aggro wrote:
And so it begins, the beach season seems to be fully upon us…

just when new years resolution season ended too…[/quote]

Here’s what I notice in my gym every year:

January - March
New Year’s Resolutioners determined to lose 50 pounds in 2 months, who drop out after their goal isn’t accomplished.

June - July
Guys wanting to get hawt six-pack abz for the summer in 2 months, who drop out after their goal isn’t accomplished.

April - May
August - December

My favorite time to workout.

I would go with the “make smarter food choices” crowd and keep attacking the gym.

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
Theres also something like 3 carbs in a carrot so that point is moot.[/quote]

2 pounds of carrots = 87g carbs (41g sugar)
1 gallon of carrot juice = 350g carbs (147g sugar)

Not moot.

[quote]ballsout wrote:
G87 wrote:
How do you manage to look so small at 180 lbs? I’m only an inch and a half shorter and weigh about the same right now, but look meatier.

Mirror/camera phone/bad lighting/that was 7 lbs ago that might be why I look so small. One thing I was really lacking was back thickness I’ve mostly taken care of that. That said you look old as fuck and don’t even have a shirtless picture.

To everyone else, yes I was joking on the carrots.

As I said in my original post my bulk was from 150 in July/August to 185 what I weighed in on monday. Tell me 35lbs in less a year isn’t decent and I’ll slap you in your mouth.

I came here looking for advice but I guess this forum has gone to shit.

[/quote]

Reread your initial post. If you need to add information - such as your bulk was 35, not 5, lbs, - then what do you expect.

7 pounds is not going to take care of your back thickness needs. That is seven pounds over your entire body. Do you really think that is going to make that big of a difference (and let’s not get into the pros put on ten pounds nonsense).

My advice echos some already given. Clean up your eating a bit or increase cardio and keep trying to gain muscle. You might gain more slowly but it should help some with the fat.

[quote]ballsout wrote:
That said you look old as fuck and don’t even have a shirtless picture.

I came here looking for advice but I guess this forum has gone to shit.
[/quote]

You are one mighty moron. You do not know what Hunter S. Thompson looks like? Moreover, you could not add 1+1 and realise that it’s not my photo? I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, but I don’t think this forum is right for you, maggot.

Bodybuilding.com.

OP, when was the last time you saw your girlfriend? From your initial post, it looks like you aren’t going to see her for six weeks. Then again, you say that you’ve gained 30+ pounds since last July.

Depending on how long It’s been since you saw your ladyfriend, I doubt that she’s going to be bowled over by a summer cut if you’ve gained muscle at a steady rate without putting on a visible layer of fat. Are your results going to be made that much more dramatic by doing a cut?

I’d venture to say that she’d be more impressed with the extra muscle rather than some fat loss…

[quote]
ballsout wrote:

I came here looking for advice but I guess this forum has gone to shit.[/quote]

Oh, I agree. But not in the way that you think…

lololol ^ Hunter S. Thompson is the shit…get your knowledge on

Why are people cutting for summer already? It’s barely April. Ya’ll start going to the beach then?

[quote]LUEshi wrote:
Why are people cutting for summer already? It’s barely April. Ya’ll start going to the beach then?[/quote]

Some skinny fat friends I know that don’t lift are already trying to “cut” right now for “teh hot abz”…

[quote]Rooster1980 wrote:
Pull your pants up…[/quote]

THIS.

[quote]LUEshi wrote:
Why are people cutting for summer already? It’s barely April. Ya’ll start going to the beach then?[/quote]

Because striations in your lower back appear when you cut 20 weeks minimum.

[quote]forlife wrote:
matsm21 wrote:
Aggro wrote:
And so it begins, the beach season seems to be fully upon us…

just when new years resolution season ended too…

Here’s what I notice in my gym every year:

January - March
New Year’s Resolutioners determined to lose 50 pounds in 2 months, who drop out after their goal isn’t accomplished.

June - July
Guys wanting to get hawt six-pack abz for the summer in 2 months, who drop out after their goal isn’t accomplished.

April - May
August - December

My favorite time to workout.

[/quote]

Your seasonal calender is very close to mine, hehe.

[quote]G87 wrote:
forlife wrote:
I’m not getting into whether you should be cutting or not, that is your call and I know plenty of people will have an opinion.

I do want to point out that 2 pounds of carrots/day and even worse carrot juice are NOT going to help you in that goal. Carrots are high glycemic carbs, and you would do better with a low carb diet, or at least low glycemic carbs like broccoli, grean beans, spinach, and squash.

IMO the GI impact of carrots is over-rated. They are, ultimately, high on sugar though, and not as high on fiber as alternatives, so you still gotta be careful.

As for green beans and spinach - just remember, there is NO SUCH THING AS FREE FOOD. CT points this out in “Get Jacked Fast,” and good riddance. It’s very tempting to stuff yourself with veggies all day long if you’re like me and dieting hard, but you WILL progress faster if you don’t go crazy with food, period. Possible exception(s) is celery (and cucumbers?).

That’s my .02$[/quote]

I think I do not share your concerns regarding green veggies. In Get Jacked Fast green veggies are at will. I cannot imagine anyone could (or let’s say would like to) eat so much broccoli, spinach,… so that it had any significant impact on their daily caloric intake.

[quote]LUEshi wrote:

For those of us that have gone overboard with bulking (BF ~20%) it’s high time to start cutting for summer.

I agree with the cleaning up with your diet and keep training hard, add some cardio on your off days. It’s not rocket science. I would rather look lean and add muscle than bulk for fat and hope I added some muscle. In all my years of training the only 35lbs of muscle mass put on in a year was done with a supplement you can’t buy at the mall. If you put on 35lbs so what if it looks like you you have love handles and a beer belly.

Ya know what?

Who the fuck cares about the summer beach body?

I don’t go picking up girls with my clothes off. I’ve never, EVER been at the beach, and some girl said “OMG YOUR ABS I MUST HAVE THEM” or, moreover, had to use my body as an excuse to pick up a girl at the beach, like its a crutch for good conversation and wit.

In fact the only time my body has ever been a “benefit” besides my health and personal satisfaction of bettering myself, the only time is when I’m complimented after I’ve already brought a girl to bed OR when I’m still fully dressed…so at no point has the need for abs been there.

POINT: If you aren’t fat, I see 0 reason to cut. I’m at 14% and women still seem to like my body, even if its only at 200…abs haven’t hindered (or helped) me thus far.

I’d rather have a bit of a belly and be 220 then be a lean 170…clearly we all want to be huge and ripped, but if trying to lean out is going to ruin your overall progress, this is anecdotal evidence that you must remember exactly WHY you are cutting, what benefit you’ll really see from it, and then you’ll have to truly evaluate if it’s actually worth it (which it probably isn’t).

[quote]chris666 wrote:
I think I do not share your concerns regarding green veggies. In Get Jacked Fast green veggies are at will. I cannot imagine anyone could (or let’s say would like to) eat so much broccoli, spinach,… so that it had any significant impact on their daily caloric intake.[/quote]

I suppose it’s all relative. I can pack away POUNDS of veggies a day, and they still contain sugars and calories, even if it’s very modest amounts. So, for me, it does make a difference.

I would still not recommend having a gut and a gut doesn’t make you stronger. It’s about being happy with yourself when you look in the mirror. Nothing outside can make you get lean or strong. You do this because you love to do it or I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t. Having abs it makes me feel better not anyone else.

[quote]musclegym wrote:
I would still not recommend having a gut and a gut doesn’t make you stronger. It’s about being happy with yourself when you look in the mirror. Nothing outside can make you get lean or strong. You do this because you love to do it or I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t. Having abs it makes me feel better not anyone else.[/quote]

That’s pretty much how I see it. I have to look at myself in the mirror every day, and I want to like what I see. I don’t need a perfectly chiseled six pack 365 days/year, but I do want to maintain an acceptable level of leanness while continuing to add muscle over time.