How to Develop THICK Traps

I need to know how to develop the thickness of my traps. I have the height (alot of people say i have no neck lol) but i feel i need them to be thicker.

My trap routine is simply heavy DB shrugs and heavy Barbell shrugs. 3-4 sets each.

i also deadlift once a week doing 4 sets.

Rack deads are my personal choice for middle back thickness, you might also benefit from a Yates row type movement. Make sure you are pulling up and back at the top of your deads and really squeeze that middle/lower trapezius area like you are trying to crush something with it.

Rows. All sorts of em. Thats all I need and my traps are big enough. I also do laterals the same w/o. People who do rows with lots of weight tend to have a thick back and big traps.

O-lifts.

explosive movements really hit those big fast twitchers.

Also the overhead squats are a huge hit for trap thickness. The isometric “squeeze,” as mentioned above, is fantastic for development.

-chris

Angled shrugs(slight forward tilt), and a shrug(scapular retraction) between each rep on rows.

My traps have developed well over the past 5 months. I wasn’t targeting them, but they’ve responded. I need to find a way to hit the upper, upper chest around the collarbone though as that area has lagged.

My routine has been pretty simple, lots of power cleans, bent over barbell rows, and pull-ups.

That, and lots of oatmeal cookies and milk.

Farmers walk
power cleans

I do rack pulls that I basically move the bar 4 inches so I can load that fucker up with as much weight as possible to put the most stress on my traps.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
I do rack pulls that I basically move the bar 4 inches so I can load that fucker up with as much weight as possible to put the most stress on my traps.[/quote]

Trick that worked for me was start in the rack pull position but explode on the way up (stand on the toes) . With the momentum contract the traps for a count of 1 and then lower, repeat for high reps.

Just to throw another opinion out there, I think the shape of your muscles is genetic. There are some larger muscles groups you can target a little more in one area (chest, for example) but your traps are pretty small. If your traps are looking high, but not thick, I think you just got the short end of the stick there.

[quote]sawadeekrob wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
I do rack pulls that I basically move the bar 4 inches so I can load that fucker up with as much weight as possible to put the most stress on my traps.

Trick that worked for me was start in the rack pull position but explode on the way up (stand on the toes) . With the momentum contract the traps for a count of 1 and then lower, repeat for high reps.[/quote]

I’ll co-sign this… Power shrugs for high reps is that good shit…