How to Develop the Middle Back?

Thanks to all for the answers. Can someone also suggest a workout for the back ? From history, I feel that too much volume results in over training for me.

One more question, I have is. What parts of the Back does Deadlift work ? What kind of volume should one target for the DL ? I am slowly closing on close to my body weight on the DL but I don’t feel anything after doing the Dead lift. I do 5 Reps as a warm up. going too heavy on DL causes back pain :frowning:

Just for giggles, there are two time-tested, oldschool ways of targeting the “middle back” (which, size-ways, is composed mostly of the infraspinatus, rhomboideus and lower trapezius) without weights.

a) If you’re not used to physical labour, shoveling a couble hundred pounds of dirt has a nice effect on all muscles between and above the shoulder blades.

b) Boxing. Every beginner will experience soreness around the deltoids and middle back.

Just a thought if your gym explodes tomorrow and you’re stranded in your backyard, along with your muscular weakness;)

Contract your scapula together.

This is a great article.

any pulling movement that keeps the elbows flared out to the sides vs tucked in close to the torso will emphasize the rear delt and scapular region more than the lats. keep this in mind as well as incorporating a few shrugging movements into your routine.

I like to use cable rows with a higher pull(Mid/upper chest) and really focus on the contraction at the peak of the movement.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
Inclince Trap Raises
[/quote]
Dumb question, but do you sit on the incline bench like youre doing an incline press or your face facing the seat?[/quote]

Face down.

Arms at 10 and 2

Raise.

Find the sweet spot for you in the range of motion and work that part of the set for your reps.

You can also do shrugs in that position.[/quote]

heavy rack pulls seem to work well for me

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

Thanks SS. That vid was pretty much what I envisioned. But now I know to make sure to retract shoulder blades before each raise.

I like chest supported rows with a pause at the contraction, focusing on squeezing the target muscles together as hard as possible.

And deadlifts, obviously lol.

[quote]Bmad wrote:
Thanks SS. That vid was pretty much what I envisioned. But now I know to make sure to retract shoulder blades before each raise.[/quote]

I suggest using a really light weight and holding for 3 seconds at the top. You’ll REALLY feel the muscle working then. It’s an easy exercise to just swing the weights up and not get the benefit.