How to Determine Weight?

Hello,
I am getting ready to start my first program, and have a question on what is the right amount of weight?

Say for example the plan says 3x12,

1. There is no way on the first day I could pick the right weight to get exactly 3x12. So does one do the finding the right weight during the program, or before?

2. So what is the right weight, should it be easy enough that I can do the full 12 reps on the first 2 sets, and keep going till I can’t do anymore on the 3rd, and try to get that near 12?

Thanks,
CP

[quote]CptanPanic wrote:
Hello,
I am getting ready to start my first program, and have a question on what is the right amount of weight?

Say for example the plan says 3x12,

1. There is no way on the first day I could pick the right weight to get exactly 3x12. So does one do the finding the right weight during the program, or before?

2. So what is the right weight, should it be easy enough that I can do the full 12 reps on the first 2 sets, and keep going till I can’t do anymore on the 3rd, and try to get that near 12?

Thanks,
CP

[/quote]

1. You’ll find all of these things out as you go along. If you are just starting out it’s a good idea to worry about your technique before you worry about the weight.

2. If you were using a 12 rep scheme the idea would be for the 12th rep to be possible but difficult. Every set (not including warmups) should be challenging.

Can I also say that I’m glad the answer to your question wasn’t…

Scales.

I refuse to believe I was the only one thinking that.

I hope my previous post helps by the way.

Mate, take my advice and read this

It’ll probably save you a lot of time and confusion. Good luck