How to design a workout without using weights?

That’s right, the Dogg is trying to put together a new workout that doesn’t require me to use weights at the gym. I’m to the point where my joints (shoulder, knees) are killing me, and I have lost motiviation to go through typical weight training routines. So I’m taking time away from the gym and working out at home with the equipment available to me. The only problem is that I’m not sure how to put it all together for an effective workout to increase my conditioning and hopefully make me look better Nekid! And increased strength is a plus. So here’s what I have to work with.

1. 16kg kettlebell 2) Bodyweight exercises 3) Chin-up bar 4) Medicine ball 5) Jump rope 6) Triceps bar with weight 7) Dragging sled 8) Swiss ball 9) In-line skates 10) Mountain bike 11) Nautilis machines (available at apt. complex fitness center).

So how do I put it all together? Should I do kettlebell exercises on Mon, Wed, Fri? Bodyweight exercises Tues/Thurs? or do I use bodyweight exercises each day? Anyone have any advice? I’ve emailed Coach Davies and Mike Mahler about this, but I’m sure they are a bit busy at the moment. So if anyone else has experience in this area, I’d greatly appreciate your input.

See the thread on masturbation Dogg.

Nate,

Great to see a post by you and please email me anytime for advice at mahler25@yahoo.com. You have a great deal to work with and I would spend one or two days a week doing high rep Kettlebell snatches, clean and jerks, and low rep stuff such as turkish get ups, bent presses, windmills etc. Do some bodyweigt stuff such as one legged squats and handstand pushups a few times a week and also just be spontaneous and through a few things together.

Mike

Nate my man, if you promise to go get ART, i will get you a nude picture of Leah.

Yo Dogg, have you checked out trigger point therapy for your shoulders and knees? Bonnie Prudden’s(sp?) book is like 25 bucks and many have had good experience with it, myself included. Also, have u tried changing the width and flare of your feet during squats and deadlifts? That could help the knees a bit. Best of luck

Think about a typical split, whatever you’ve liked in the past. Then subsitute the appropriate exercises with the equipment you have. I don’t think you have to get super creative just because you won’t have full access to all types of weightlifting media.

With that said, I think that the types of splits are endless, but here is one I would suggest because it goes well with your equipment.

Day 1 - Clean and Press and accessory exercises, trunk and lower body flexion, lower body dragging

Day 2 - Chins, core work like in Coach D's Real Abs article, upper body dragging

Day 3 - Pressing exercises of all sorts, more core work from Coach D's Real Abs article, upper body dragging

Day 4 - Snatch and complimentary lifts, trunk/lower body flexion, lower body dragging

With the kbell, body weight exercises,med ball, sled and chin bar you have more than enough to keep you busy for a long time.

never got the email Nate. I will start with something…hmm, maybe I can convince you to add an axe or sledghammer into your equipment : ) In faith, Coach Davies

Thanks for the replies! Mike, I will email you some information. Goldberg, I’d love to get ART done, but no one within four hours of me does it. And right now, I can’t afford it. I’m sure a nude picture of Leah would be nice, but my girlfriend would kick my ass if you sent me any nude pics! Besides, I know you are the one who wants nude pics of Leah. Jason, I like your ideas on splitting things up, but do you think it’s enough to hit each bodypart once a week if I’m only using bodyweight exercises and kettlebells? I would think that I would need to hit things at least twice a week to reap the benefits. But your split does help me out. Coach, I have emailed you as well. I won’t be buying a sledgehammer anytime soon, but I’m sure I can use the medicine ball or a weight plate to do some “chops.” Let me know what you think!

I’ve come to realize that I have MANY exercises to choose from. So I’m trying to figure out what I should be doing. Right now, I’m overwhelmed with the choices and how to put it together to make it effective!

I don’t think that you’d only be hitting each body part once a week. If you look at the overlap, you hit everything 2-3 times per week. Legs and posterior chain are hit twice a week, core is hit 3-4 times a week, pressing muscles are hit at least 2 times a week. I only added chins on one day, but you could add them again. I figured you’d get enough back work from cleans, snatches and the like. Let me know if I can clear it up for you a bit more.

Get your butt in your car and drive the four hours. You can’t afford not to get the ART done. I understand your frustration. I have to drive over two hours to get a treatment, and I’m the highest credentialing other than instructor. I routinely have athletes travel an hour or more for a treatment.
I’ve had blown out ankles, a torn pec on the left, rotator damage on the right, bad lower back pain etc. ART has been the quickest solution.
A current patient was told to give up her triathlon training for good by a top sports medicine guru orthopedic guy. She’s seen great improvemnt in one treatment and even more after four. In one month she’ll do her first full length ironman.
Nate you can’t live without it. Shoulders and knees are tricky. I wouldn’t let a patient of mine do any exercises for the area bodyweight or not until I personally excamined them.
If you have acces to powerlifting USA look at the Feb 2002 issue. JM Blakely explained in great detail four exercises to help increase shoulder stability. If you get a treatment or two in you could probably start them. I recntly got a nasty little cae of left subacromial impingement from sleeping, no less. Two ART sessions later I’ve started on them.

Jason, thanks for the info! That helped me out. I’m working on putting something together. It’s more complicated than I thought. I really do have a ton of options to choose from. Sonny and irondoc, I would love some ART or trigger point therapy. Anyone willing to offer me services for free? Or come and give me a house visit? :wink:

Nate - Hey I agree with the other guys that you should get this problem fixed, but if you want another set of eyes to take a look at what you’re writing up, just send me an email.

I live in Pa. You send a ticket from the Philly airport, I’ll treat you fo4r free. It cost a few meals in addition. If you can’t find art, look for a person with experience in myofascial release. You can’t afford not to do it. The technique works that well.

You could look into The Complete Guide to Navy Seal Fitness by Stewart Smith. It is a conditiong program using mainly dips, pushups, pullups, interval running and swimming (plus a lot of ab work). Running on a softer surface would probably be better on the knees. It’ll defintely be some good conditioning work to say the least. Hope this helped.