First thanks again to everyone that responded in my other thread.
I’m struggling with the decision of whether to take the plunge or not, and what timeframe. Right now I’m thinking at least just get labs and then decide, but maybe someone has some feedback that may help.
I’m 41. Happily married, not planning to have kids. I’m 6’2", about 185, probably 12-14 % BF, somewhere between skinny fat and just skinny. Exercise regularly but not in a structured way.
I do have some symptoms that could be attributed to low T:
- low energy and motivation, a general feeling of dragging
- LOW libido to the point that it’s really starting to bother my wife how little we have sex. Like once a week at most, sometimes less, used to be 5x/wk at least
- slow recovery after exercise, lots of soreness and tiredness
- some depression, more anxiety. Not on meds and don’t want meds but sometimes it’s hard to cope
- an overall feeling of being subpar, or at least suboptimal
I have some preexisting conditions that might be contributing:
- I’ve had a varicocele since puberty but no doctor ever thought it was worth fixing. Now I learn that can contribute to low T
- I’ve had a vasectomy about 5 yrs ago
- Im in the process of quitting smoking right now, I’m sure that’s not helping anything
- i was a big drinker in my 20s, don’t drink much now like once per month maybe
- my diet could use work, right now I eat clean Paleo 50% of the time and the other 50% I eat junk.
- could probably use more structured workout regimen, right now it’s inconsistent at best
So I’m well aware that I have a lot of room for optimization. The question I have is how to proceed. Should I do all the optimization I can on my own first, before even getting labs? My diet and habits could be changed right away, the varicocele is a much harder problem as my insurance sucks and I can’t afford to pay for surgery right now. I feel like ideally I’d get that fixed too before testing testosterone but I’m not sure I want to wait for that to become a possibility, it might be a year or more before that is a possibility.
Also I’m eager to feel better but I’m aware that part of that is wanting to feel good without doing the work, like wanting to have the cake and eat it too, so to speak.
So I guess my options are:
- Get labs and proceed with TRT if indicated, and optimize along the way
- Get labs, then optimize what I can before trying TRT
- Optimize the things that are within my control now: diet, habits, exercise; before proceeding with labs and possibly TRT
- Optimize everything, including getting the varicocele fixed, before proceeding. This might take a while, a year or more.
I feel like the last option might be the best, I’m just not sure if I have that level of patience.
I welcome any thoughts on my situation. I’m sure I’ll have some tough love coming and that’s ok, I deserve it I’m sure.
Thanks in advance.
Edited for formatting