How to Cut Down if You are Doing Starting Strength?

[quote]elano wrote:
Dude, one day you will realize that it’s okay to be a little fat if you can deadlift 600lbs. Strength is more important. Plus, you can easily loose 50lbs in less than a year, but you aren’t going to gain 50lbs of muscle in that amount of time, nor will you gain that much fat if you keep your diet in check and train balls to the wall when you need to. I would be very happy to weigh 260 with 20% bodyfat if I could pull 600.[/quote]

yes but if iam going to compete powerliting in the 242 weight class i need all of my weight to be muscle which will give me the advantage over most of my fat oppenents i would rather take that levrage plus i would have a bad ass physique and not look like crap muslce lifts weight fat dosent it just sits there slowing you down and lubricating joints.

You’re doing starting strength AND mentioning competing in the 242 pound weight class as a powerlifter at the SAME time?

Nothing you wrote makes any sense. youre gaining a belly because

1. Starting strength volume is on the lower side for you (very possible)
  2. You’re not adding ENOUGH weight to the bar frequently enough (most likely)
  3. You’re eating like a guy trying to go from a lean 220 to a smooth 250 in the next 2 years or so (not very likely).
  4. your genetics just flat-out suck for physique-related goals (doubtful).

Go to the beginner’s forum.

[quote]xxxwtfxxx wrote:
yes but if iam going to compete powerliting in the 242 weight class i need all of my weight to be muscle which will give me the advantage over most of my fat oppenents i would rather take that levrage plus i would have a bad ass physique and not look like crap muslce lifts weight fat dosent it just sits there slowing you down and lubricating joints.[/quote]

Are you sure it’s subcutaneous fat and not simply food in your digestive system? BIG difference.

If you’re trying to gain weight, your primary focus should of course be on muscle gains; gaining fat is never the goal. However, fat gains are necessitated by the fact you are trying to gain weight, or in other words, gaining some fat is inevitable. Start worrying too much about fat gains, and that’s when you’ll minimize your muscle growth. This is very straight forward. But let’s look at some options to help minimize fat gains, while not sacrificing muscle gains (muscle gains should always be the primary goal!).

1. Clean up your diet. Read some Berardi articles here or at Precise Nutrition. Invest in the Macronutrient Guidebook by Troponin nutrition (Just Harris/Shelby Starnes) over at EliteFTS.com. Learn what works for YOUR body… everyone responds differently to this or that.

2. Carb cycling & carb cutoffs. Look into Troponin nutrition, DC diet guidelines, and several other carb cycling articles on Tnation.

3. Fasted morning cardio (especially combined with BCAA’s pre-cardio) & steady-state cardio pwo. Refer to the following thread for starters -

1. Thermogenics/fat burners. Caffeine, Yohimbine (found in HOT-ROX Extreme, for example), Green Tea Extract, and several other sources you can look up.

One thing by itself may only make a small difference, but when you add them all up it should make a world of difference for keeping the fat off and packing on muscle.

[quote]myself1992 wrote:
you probably have never been full all day so you think that youve gained fat when in reality the increase in belly size is due to all the food that is in there.[/quote]

This.

If you REALLY feel it’s necessary, cut some cals out but keep the training intensity the same.

[quote]kylec72 wrote:
If you’re trying to gain weight, your primary focus should of course be on muscle gains; gaining fat is never the goal. However, fat gains are necessitated by the fact you are trying to gain weight, or in other words, gaining some fat is inevitable. Start worrying too much about fat gains, and that’s when you’ll minimize your muscle growth. This is very straight forward. But let’s look at some options to help minimize fat gains, while not sacrificing muscle gains (muscle gains should always be the primary goal!).

1. Clean up your diet. Read some Berardi articles here or at Precise Nutrition. Invest in the Macronutrient Guidebook by Troponin nutrition (Just Harris/Shelby Starnes) over at EliteFTS.com. Learn what works for YOUR body… everyone responds differently to this or that.

2. Carb cycling & carb cutoffs. Look into Troponin nutrition, DC diet guidelines, and several other carb cycling articles on Tnation.

3. Fasted morning cardio (especially combined with BCAA’s pre-cardio) & steady-state cardio pwo. Refer to the following thread for starters -

1. Thermogenics/fat burners. Caffeine, Yohimbine (found in HOT-ROX Extreme, for example), Green Tea Extract, and several other sources you can look up.

One thing by itself may only make a small difference, but when you add them all up it should make a world of difference for keeping the fat off and packing on muscle. [/quote]

wow that explained everything lol.

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
jtg987 wrote:
do people just skip the beginners section these days?

Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder[/quote]

Yeah buddy

More questions demanding people work for free.

[quote]hardcoreraymond wrote:
Growing_Boy wrote:
jtg987 wrote:
do people just skip the beginners section these days?

Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder

Yeah buddy[/quote]

Lightweight! Ain’t nuthin but a peanut!