How to Customize Full Body Routine?

Hi guys,
I want to give a try to full body training, but I don’t know if it can be customize on my particular need/preference, could you critique my routine?

A
Front squat 5x3
Dumbbell clean 3x5
Handstand-pushup (wall assisted) 5x3-5
Pull-up 5x5
Horizontal row 3x6
Bench press 3x5
Abs 4x5
calves 3x10-15

B - Focus on Legs,Shoulder and arms(I need biceps:D)hypertrophy
Squat 3x10
Lunges 2x12
Close grip Chin-up 3x10
Incline bench press 3x10
Seated dumbbell press 3x10
Diamond push-up or dips 3x12
Dumbbell rear fly 2x12

C
Front 5x3
Mid-shin deadlift 3x3 (some low back problem with full ROM for now)
Handstand-pushup (wall assisted) 5x3-5
Pull-up 5x5
Reverse grip bench press 3x8
Dumbbell row 3x8
Abs 3x8-10
calves 4x10-15
shoulder extra rotation 2x15-20

Goals:strenght and some hypertrophy especially in arms,shoulder and upper pec

I like the general idea but work more legs men, try to do more sets of the lunges and sets of 20 reps squat, that’s a killer!
I would try to superser all the antagonist upper body work to save time because you do a whole lot of them haha.
I don’t get all your calves work but whatever…
Wait for the more experienced guys to reply their thoughts.
Remember that experience tell you the best.

I added the super-set and some sets
A
Front squat 5x3
Dumbbell clean 3x5
Handstand-pushup (wall assisted) 5x3-5 <> Pull-up 5x5
Horizontal row 3x6 <> Bench press 3x5
Abs 4x5
calves 4x10-15

B - Focus on Legs,Shoulder and arms(I need biceps:D)hypertrophy
Squat 3x10 or maybe 1x20
Walking Lunges 3x10
Incline bench press 3x10
Close grip Chin-up 3x10<>Diamond push-up or dips 3x12
Seated dumbbell press 3x10<>Dumbbell rear fly 3x12

C
Front 5x3
Mid-shin deadlift 3x3 (some low back problem with full ROM for now)
Handstand-pushup (wall assisted) 5x3-5<>Pull-up 5x5
Reverse grip bench press 3x8<>Dumbbell row 3x8
Abs 3x8-10
calves 4x10-15<>shoulder extra rotation 2x15-20

Can I handle that volume with full body routine? I don’t know because it’s my first full body, I am used to 4-upper/lower split.
Have I to add Leg curl?

[quote]Jnatural wrote:
I want to give a try to full body training, but I don’t know if it can be customize on my particular need/preference, could you critique my routine? [/quote]
When you’re using full body workouts, a problem some guys run into is trying to do too much for a given bodypart in a single session. Remember that you’re hitting it several times a week anyway, so there’s not usually an extra benefit to doing multiple exercises for one bodypart in a single workout, unless the whole week is laid out really well (like manipulating the volume used on different days).

If you “need biceps”, why aren’t you doing any curls? That’s the first thing that stood out as a glaring problem.

Funny coincidence, but why not try out Dan John’s “10 Secrets” routine from today’s article?

It should pretty much fit the bill for what you’re looking for.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Jnatural wrote:
I want to give a try to full body training, but I don’t know if it can be customize on my particular need/preference, could you critique my routine? [/quote]
When you’re using full body workouts, a problem some guys run into is trying to do too much for a given bodypart in a single session. Remember that you’re hitting it several times a week anyway, so there’s not usually an extra benefit to doing multiple exercises for one bodypart in a single workout, unless the whole week is laid out really well (like manipulating the volume used on different days).

If you “need biceps”, why aren’t you doing any curls? That’s the first thing that stood out as a glaring problem.

Funny coincidence, but why not try out Dan John’s “10 Secrets” routine from today’s article?

It should pretty much fit the bill for what you’re looking for.[/quote]

I rarely do curls because I have always think that chin-up are better.
Thanks, the routine is nice but I want to learn front squat (I use light weight for now) and improve handstand push-up…

I don’t know, maybe I can do front squat instead of back(with an another rep scheme as my form becomes sloppy after the 4-5 rep) and hanstand push-up instead of clean and press. Furthermore, I would like to do moderately high-rep back squat once a week - if I can, in wich workout? - in order to be sure to gain some hypertrophy… the rest of the routine is ok.
So confused…

[quote]Jnatural wrote:
I rarely do curls because I have always think that chin-up are better.
[/quote]

If by your own admission you need more bicep development AND you also think the chin up is better for bicep development and therefore prioritize it over curls, the logical conclusion you need to draw here is that you are incorrect in your belief about chins.

Chins are a great movement, but your arms need some direct work if you want them to grow.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
logical
[/quote]
What does this word mean? I haven’t come across it on internet forums before.

actually today you make me think about curl! barbell or dumbbel?
however what do you think about my full body routine?

[quote]Jnatural wrote:
I rarely do curls because I have always think that chin-up are better.[/quote]
Yeah, like Pwnisher and Dr. Phil would say… how’s that working out for ya?

So you want to learn front squats; and improve your HSPU; and build strength; and increase the size of your arms, shoulders, and upper pecs; and do high-rep squats once a week; and stick with full body workouts. Does that sound right? And I mean does that sound right?

I think you may be overthinking this a bit. You should start building according to your goals, and prioritize them.

If you’re trying to learn/perfect some movements, do them everyday. Practice them at the beginning of your workouts, there’s no need for you to do them to the limit, you’ll be making up for the volume with 3-5 sets a day. Practice will make them perfect, and some (small) hyperthorphy will come. Forget about high rep squatting until you get the movement down.

Focus first on your technique, then add volume or intensity.

Since you want to build your upper body, I’d suggest you add curls, but not before your chin-ups/pull-ups (these are more complex, and will require more out of you), but do your curls at least twice a week, with your last set to failure (or as close as wilth good form).

For your chest development, just do regular bench presses. They’ll develop your pecs much better than inclines.

[quote]Manok86 wrote:
For your chest development, just do regular bench presses. They’ll develop your pecs much better than inclines IMO.[/quote]
fixed

After reading your useful advices, I think I’ll try something like this:
A
1 Fron squat 5x3 Add weight to each set.
2 Handstand push-up *Progression
3 Dumbbell lunges 3x10
4 Pull-Up 25 Do as many sets as it takes you to get to 25 reps. If it’s too easy, add weight.
5 Dumbell row 5x5 Go as heavy as you can and still get 5 reps in.
6 Bench Press 3x5
7 Curl 3x5 Keep your eye on slowly increasing the weight.
8 Abs 3x8

B
1 Fron squat 3x3 Add weight to the second set. This is a set-up workout for Workout C.
2 Mid-shin Deadlift 3x3
3 High incline dumbell press 3x8
4 Horizontal row 3x8
5 Pull-Up 15 Do as many sets as it takes you to get to 15 reps. If it’s too easy, add weight.
6 Diamond push-up 3x10 <> Curl 3x10
7 Abs 4x5

C

1 Front Squat 3x5 Add weight to each set. This last set is the one that makes or breaks your training.
2 Back squat 1x20
3 Hanstand push-up *Progression
4 Dumbell row 2 x5 Really try to hold the squeeze in the finished position. Go as heavy as you can.
5 Pull-Up 12 Do as many sets as it takes you to get to 12 reps. The goal would be one set. If it’s too easy, add weight.
6 Reverse grip bench-press 3 x 6
7 Curl 2x5; 1x10
8 Abs 3xmax

Eventually I’ll do superset betweeen antagonist muscle.Any Thoughts?

[quote]Jnatural wrote:
Any Thoughts?
[/quote]

I think you should find the fewest number of exercises that give you the development you want, and just work them as hard as you possibly can.

Right now you have:
1 Front Squat
2 Handstand Pushups
3 DB Lunges
4 Pullups
5 DB Row
6 Bench Press
7 Curl
8 Abs - whatever you’re doing here
9 Mid-shin deadlift (rack/block pulls? or only pulling up to mid-shin?)
10 Horizontal Row
11 Diamond Pushups
12 High-Rep Back Squat
13 Reverse Grip Bench Press

For each of those, do you know exactly why you chose the exercise, why you chose the particular set/reps, frequency and progression scheme, and why you’re doing them in that order?

Based on the questions you’re asking, I don’t think you know how to answer those questions.

I suggest you trim your exercise selection down, learn how those lifts affect your goals of size and strength, and find a combination of frequency, intensity and volume for each of them that you respond well to. As you find weaknesses and/or acquire any injuries, you can adjust your form and exercise selection.

But my honest opinion, I think what you’re doing won’t get you the results you want. You’ll feel good for awhile trying to prove us all wrong, but a few months later you won’t be much stronger or bigger than you are now.

Go read some of CT’s and Wendler’s articles online and their exercise selection/rationale. Wendler’s concept of training forms the basis for the full-body training I do nowadays.

If you want to train 3x a week, and use 20-rep squats, and do a full body routine… and based on what I’m guessing your experience/strength levels are right now… then I’d probably do something like this.

Work sets listed below. I’m assuming you’d warm up with some lighter sets for squats, bench, deads. Add weight when you can. Stay at a weight for a bit when you can’t make all the reps with good form and good speed.

Monday:

• 20 rep squats
  • 3x5 Bench – 3-5 pullups between each set
  • Tricep work, whatever you want that you can easily load (i.e., NOT diamond pushups)

Wednesday:

• 3x3 Deadlift
  • 3x5 Bench – 3-5 pullups between each set
  • 4x10-15 DB Rows
  • 4x10-15 Light Curls, focus on the pump

Friday

• 20 rep squats (or 3x5 heavy, if you want to do that instead)
  • 3x5 Bench – 3-5 pullups between set
  • 4x6 Heavy Curls, focus on getting stronger
  • Overhead work, if you want, or just go home

Just a rough idea of how I’d approach it.

But really, just find a real program that you like, and work it hard.

I like that template laid out by LoRez

I’ll also add that for me, if I’m placing a priority on something, I’m doing it first or second in the routine, not last. Could give a fuq if I have to drop poundage’s for other exercises later…priorities are priorities IMO.