T Nation

How to Compensate for Prednisone

My girlfriend just started on a prescription of prednisone, and feels that she is starting to suffer from some of the side effects (water retention, weight gain).

Does anyone know any specific dietary adjustments she can make to decrease the side effects?

[quote]Dangerous D wrote:
My girlfriend just started on a prescription of prednisone, and feels that she is starting to suffer from some of the side effects (water retention, weight gain).

Does anyone know any specific dietary adjustments she can make to decrease the side effects?[/quote]

How much does she take? For the water weight, I stick to a low carb diet, and exercise gets rid of the excess water. I only take 10 mg per day.

Reduced sodium intake.

Increased energy expenditure.

Increased resistance training.

Tighter carb control.

Increased calcium and vitamin D intake.

Nothing else comes to mind for now.

Good luck,
AlexH.

I have had to take prednisone on and off for years due to my phenominally crappy skin.

Unfortunately low carb is the way to go, I just started the v diet (day 3, lost 3.5 kg…wish the UFC wouldn;t advertise food) and its working seriously well (big ups to Chris Shugart for the diet and Avocado for the protein/green tea ice cream idea).

Despite the water retention she needs to be downing as much water as she can and she definately needs a calcium supplement as well and some vitamin E to help with bone density loss from the Prednisone. This is a big problem for women on prednisone, even more than for the guys so perhas her Dr can perscribe her a calcium supplement with some vitamin c and I ron along with it?

Weight training and some sort of appetite suppresant (HOT-ROX/se7en?) will also do her no end of good. because of its effects on water retention and appetite she does need to be very careful especially if its a high dose.

Something else i found was I became very depressed cycleing off prednisone and needed an anti depressant (fluoxitine) to keep me on the level, however when i went back I kept taking the anti depressan and I didn;t get the surge in appetite I got without the anti depressant.

Obviously get her to talk to a Dr about it but those are my experiences so far… sorry for the long winded approach I just know how badly this drug can hurt your system.

Cheers,

Andrew
NZ

I wouldn’t reduce sodium consumption. Sodium is an important for correct Na+ /K- ECF ICF ballance. 2 grams per day should be fine. Scott Abel wrote an excelent piece on the importance of salt consumption

I’m in with that as well, sodium is important for anyone on prednisone. Tighten the carb intake and it shouldn’t influence water retention too much.

andrew

From a blood pressure and volume standpoint, below 6 grams of sodium is recommended with a targer of 3 grams or below per day with a minimal amount required daily to be around 0.5 grams to replace daily losses.

3 grams and below is usually difficult to achieve for most people as salt is largely in everything nowadays.

Sodium control remains in important part of volume control, more so in prednisone-using patients as prednisone and most glucocorticosteroids have a mineralocorticosteroid activity by which there is an increase in sodium retention independant of required sodium load or volume needs.

Again I do not say no sodium, controlled or limited sodium is different affair.

AlexH.

Thanks to all of you for your responses, she’s read the post, and its helped.
thankyou