T Nation

How to Come Off Ephedra?

I am considering dipping into my stash of ephedra for use as a decongestant (I have severe allergies which immediately develop into raging sinus infections). I actually get a better decongestant effect and less jitters and anxiety with ephedra than with OTC pseudoephedrine. I have to use very high dosages to get a decent decongestant effect, though. I dread coming off either one of them. Is there any way to avoid the usual weeks of lethargy? Of course I try tapering off, but I still feel like a dead person for several weeks.

Or, are there any effective decongestants? (not oxymetazoline HCl)

Ephedra downregulates itself (i.e. loses it’s effectiveness over time), so “coming off” shouldn’t be a big issue. If it is, try Spike, Power Drive, or a caffine pill, or a double venti mochachino latte w/ a touch of mint and light foam.

[quote]PCH wrote:
Ephedra downregulates itself (i.e. loses it’s effectiveness over time), so “coming off” shouldn’t be a big issue. If it is, try Spike, Power Drive, or a caffine pill, or a double venti mochachino latte w/ a touch of mint and light foam.[/quote]

Yes, the response downregulates but that is exactly what has to UPregulate again when coming off. In my experience, it takes a lot longer for me to upregulate (several weeks) than to downregulate (about 3 days).

The Power Drive is an idea. I haven’t tried Spike. I already drink enough (probably too much) coffee, alas.

The fat loss effects always stuck with me when on an E/C stack. I’d level out after losing about 10 lbs, but those 10 lbs of fat would stay off for the durration of the time I used it (up to 7 months at a time).

I’d suggest coming off it the same way you’re supposed to start using it. If you’re taking it 3 times a day, drop down to 2 for about 4 days, then try dropping down to just one a day for a few more days.

If I come off it too quickly I get real bad headaches, and feel drained of energy, even though the energy boosting effects wear off after the first week (for me).

What about EphedrineHCL? you can buy it with an expectorant, both will help your allergies. Stack it with caffeine if you want for the thermogenic effect.