T Nation

How to Come Back From Overtraining?

What's up guys?

Lately, for the past 3 or 4 weeks I have been feeling overtrained.

The symptoms are:
Messed up sleep
Practically catatonic at times
Eye keeps twitching at times
OCD like behavior (last night I checked my alarm clock 6 times to see if it was set)
All of my previous injuries keep creeping up
Feeling constantly stressed

at first I thought I was just being a wuss, becuase I don't do HIT style of training. I never go to failure and almost alwaus stop a set when I can'e lift it with the most force possible. I also rarely go above 8 reps per set regardless of the exercise.

Either way I'm like 75% sure I have it.

My question is how long should I take off from training? And what should I do once I come back, resume training as usual?

Any Help much appreciated

Looked at the last page of your log, you don't seem to take many rest days? Add one more day per week, see where you can go from there.

And exactly what did you eat yesterday?

Don't take much time off. A few days, then a few lighter days of lifting, then see how you feel after that.

Why is your sleep messed up? When did you use to fall asleep/wake up?

And if changing your training, diet and habits doesn't help, go to doctor. They can help you with things that the internet can not.

Any other illnesses recently? Infection, stuff like that?

What's the rest of your life like? School/work/family matters?

Feel free to PM me or ignore too personal questions.

This in no way is meant to offend you, but I really, REALLY doubt that you are actually overtraining.
I almost guarantee you are not eating correctly.

If you think I'm mistaken, post up a typical days diet.

Agreed here. Very very hard to overtrain. More like undereating. Do you measure your food so actually no how much you getting or do you estimate? Good chance if you are estimating you are under what you think you are getting.

Eat more. Grow a pair.

^THIS^ lol

Are you motivated to train? Do you lack intensity?

try upping the calories and get more/better sleep...

This looks like a good place to post this quote from the Barbarian Brothers, "there's no such thing as overtraining, just undereating and undersleeping."

And exactly what did you eat yesterday?

Meal one:
3 whole eggs, 2 PB and J slice of toast, 500ml of chocolate milk

Meal Two:
Scivation xtend (One Scoop), 30 grams of Carnivor protein

Meal Three:
Shrimp Stir Fry (Approx 30g protein, 70g carbs)

Meal Four:
One Large Plate of Rice (approx 80 grams) with Lamb curry, 500ml of Chocolate milk

Meal Five:
3 packets of Twinkies (Left over halloween Food)

Meal Five:
Scivation xtend (One Scoop), 30 grams of Carnivor protein

Meal Six:
More Twinkies

Meal Seven:
Two McDonalds Grilled Chicken Sanwiches, Ans a can of sprite

I also remember having a few cans of tuna in there somewhere

It's not pretty, but its the truth.

Don't take much time off. A few days, then a few lighter days of lifting, then see how you feel after that.

Why is your sleep messed up? When did you use to fall asleep/wake up?
My Sleep is messed up because the passed couple of days I have literally been sleeping 12-13 hours a day but I still feel sleepy during the day. Not lethargic, physically drained.

And if changing your training, diet and habits doesn't help, go to doctor. They can help you with things that the internet can not.

Any other illnesses recently? Infection, stuff like that?
Not Really, other than the eye twitching

What's the rest of your life like? School/work/family matters?
Other than the stresses of trying to find a good university, not really.

Thanks

I understand when people scream over training, most people say shut the fuck up and battle it out, and eat more. I've been doing that for the past month now. The truth is 'm still getting stronger. Instead of feeling refreshed as I normally do I just feel beat up. In other words, I feel like how a regular person feels when they have to go to the gym.

THEN EAT MORE!

If you're getting stronger then you're not overtraining. If you stall or even regress THEN you might have overtrained

Working out should enhance your life, not make you feel like shit. You may not be technically overtraining (because you are still making progress), but it seems like something to do with the weights is weighing down on you. Take a few days off, eat good. After a few days off you should be craving a good workout, then take it from there.

I agree with this totally

It sounds like you've hit the point where your training program vs your diet have more than equaled out. So technically yes you are overtraining at that point, and the solution would be to eat more, but I think people tend to forget when they respond that there are budget and time constraints to some people, on how dedicated you can actually be on this day in day out for long extended periods of time.

The people with unlimited time/funds will tell you to eat more, the people with limited will tell you to train less probably, either way you have to balance that out to what is a probable diet/training routine that you can do on a consistent basis

...what part of "grow a pair" don't you understand? It's not a hard concept

eat fish oil like skittles

i pretty much agree with everything already said. Eat extreme amounts of food for a week, fish oil, and sleep like 12 hours a night or more and see how you feel. Get back to us with how you feel.