T Nation

How to Build Up to a Strongman Contest

I am currently 5 weeks out from nationals and i have no idea how to build up to it. Do i train as normally? and take a rest 5 days out? or do you ramp up to heavy lifts etc… or something entirely different?

what would you guys do?

Thanks in advance.

When I’m about a month/1 1/2 months out from a show I lower the assistance work greatly or just completely remove it and only do strongman EVENTS in my contest. Essentially, I run with “the closer to the contest, the lower the volume becomes”. I just train heavy progressively and deload once every 3 weeks and rinse and repeat and take 1-2 weeks off before the contest.

Since you’ve got 5 weeks, consider hitting a hard 3-4 week training cycle with low volume and very minimal assistance work. I think it’s trial and error, compete a few times and figure out what works best for you.

Thanks for the tips brother.

3 week progressive heavy lifting, 1 week deload, 1 week off.

Sounds good? I’m just gonna trial and error this, but something along the lines of this.

How does a “deload” week look like, don’t go over your 60% RM?

[quote]mattypyuu wrote:
Thanks for the tips brother.

3 week progressive heavy lifting, 1 week deload, 1 week off.

Sounds good? I’m just gonna trial and error this, but something along the lines of this.

How does a “deload” week look like, don’t go over your 60% RM? [/quote]

I would say more along of the lines of active recovery. I’d say even lighter than 60% 1RM. The point of deloading is to not venture into any parameter of training. You don’t want any volume or intensity. You just want to perform the motions for sets and reps with very light weight to keep your body active.

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote:
When I’m about a month/1 1/2 months out from a show I lower the assistance work greatly or just completely remove it and only do strongman EVENTS in my contest. Essentially, I run with “the closer to the contest, the lower the volume becomes”. I just train heavy progressively and deload once every 3 weeks and rinse and repeat and take 1-2 weeks off before the contest.

Since you’ve got 5 weeks, consider hitting a hard 3-4 week training cycle with low volume and very minimal assistance work. I think it’s trial and error, compete a few times and figure out what works best for you. [/quote]

I’m glad I saw this. I was going to be using the program that I’ve got in my log up to the week before and just having a 1 week deload. Since I only really have access to events once a week, should I switch to a low volume 5/3/1 in the gym when I’m lifting and do it m/t/th and take friday off to be completely fresh for event days and just focus on heavy joker sets and be done after the main lifts(like 5/3/1 for pl)? I really love 5/3/1 so I feel I’ll keep that scheme for another year or so at least before trying something specialized.

like mon:
5/3/1 squat and a few joker sets
tues:
5/3/1 overhead and a few joker sets and then bent rows
thurs:
5/3/1 dl and a few joker sets
sat:
events

Do that for one 3 week cycle and then have 2 deload weeks, and then take a week off. then since I’m planning on a comp in aug almost 1 month do 5/3/1 for a 2 week cycle, followed by another deload week? THEN pick right back up where I left off pre comp w/ my programming in my log?

***EDIT***sorry if this was derailing thread for my own gain…figured this would be better than starting a new thread.

[quote]bwhite829 wrote:

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote:

Since you’ve got 5 weeks, consider hitting a hard 3-4 week training cycle with low volume and very minimal assistance work. I think it’s trial and error, compete a few times and figure out what works best for you. [/quote]

I’m glad I saw this. I was going to be using the program that I’ve got in my log up to the week before and just having a 1 week deload. Since I only really have access to events once a week, should I switch to a low volume 5/3/1 in the gym when I’m lifting and do it m/t/th and take friday off to be completely fresh for event days and just focus on heavy joker sets and be done after the main lifts(like 5/3/1 for pl)? I really love 5/3/1 so I feel I’ll keep that scheme for another year or so at least before trying something specialized.

like mon:
5/3/1 squat and a few joker sets
tues:
5/3/1 overhead and a few joker sets and then bent rows
thurs:
5/3/1 dl and a few joker sets
sat:
events

Do that for one 3 week cycle and then have 2 deload weeks, and then take a week off. then since I’m planning on a comp in aug almost 1 month do 5/3/1 for a 2 week cycle, followed by another deload week? THEN pick right back up where I left off pre comp w/ my programming in my log?

***EDIT***sorry if this was derailing thread for my own gain…figured this would be better than starting a new thread.[/quote]

I also have access to events only once a week and do my deload slightly differently from vinny. Working backwards for my event days:
1 week out: 75% of contest weight for all events (or rest) - for rep events, same number of reps as two previous weeks
2 weeks out: 90% of contest weight - for rep events, same number of reps you got previous week
3 weeks out: 100% of contest weight
4 weeks out: 110% of contest weight, or max, whichever is less
5 weeks out: 100% of contest weight
6 weeks out: 90% of contest weight

Gym work doesn’t change too much, but I’m not looking for any PRs. Starting about 2 - 4 weeks out, if you’re doing 5/3/1 I’d just do the prescribed reps and get out. I only have the original 5/3/1 in Wendler’s “Training 3 days a week,” so I don’t know what Joker sets are.

I don’t understand what this means, but will try to comment if you rephrase: [quote] Do that for one 3 week cycle and then have 2 deload weeks, and then take a week off. then since I’m planning on a comp in aug almost 1 month do 5/3/1 for a 2 week cycle, followed by another deload week? THEN pick right back up where I left off pre comp w/ my programming in my log?[/quote]