How to Build these Muscles?

What can I do thicken this part of my body?

It is called the seratus, which I found out when I wondered the same thing.

I have seen Thibs mention the serratus crunch in one of his articles.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/best_exercises_for_serratus_anterior

I believe pull-overs are supposed to work the serratus.

yes, pull overs are great for the serratus, squeeze at the to and take it slow…
serratus crunch is good, i notices them on a lot of ab work, rollouts and un-even pushups esp. and the other day i did blast-strap pushups, felt them there too
Oh, and face pulls :slight_smile:

Well the serratus is up near the top of the white outline (right below and to the left of the right pec), but below is where you’ll find the intercostals and external obliques if i’m not talking out of my ass.

Sklander im guessing thats not you getting the spray-tan??

Yes, I think the intercostals are more of what I’m looking to work.

Holding a heavy weight overhead

[quote]dakotah_13 wrote:
Sklander im guessing thats not you getting the spray-tan??[/quote]

No sir. I got a ways to go… I feel like when I look in the mirror I have large strong obliques but the parts around my ribs are soft - I need to thicken it out to achieve that true V look all the way up from my waist to my lats.

The serratus (serratus anterior or magnus to be specific) keep the scapula stabilized against the thoracic wall when you push forward against resistance especially.They do not connect to the humerus. If you do pullups and pushups etc. that will activate it, but not as a prime mover, more of a synergist.

To active it directly try flat pressing dumbells using only the anterior movement of the shoulder joint.

One of the ways during examination to see if the serratus anterior is weak is to bend the elbow 90 degrees, flex the shoulder and internally rotate the joint so the arm is now crooked out in front of you parallel to the floor.(the position is like a horizontal elbow strike as it is thrown out in front of you.) To practice activating the muscle stand near a wall and in the described position make a motion without turning your body as if you were going to try and touch the wall with your elbow. That’s the motion you want on the bench.

Serratus posterior superior, and serratus posterior inferior are also in the group but have no connection to the humerus or scapula. They serve to aide mostly in ribcage expansion and contraction. The are thin and fascinating muscles to see, but buried between the outer muscles of the back and the spinal erectors. Most, unless you’re lucky enough to do dissection will never see them.

The intercostals (3 layers) are covered completely by surrounding layers of muscle.

He’s got a gun!

Too verbose? Sorry, jus trying to 'hep.

[quote]amphibian wrote:
Too verbose? Sorry, jus trying to 'hep.[/quote]

Swift, verbose, deadly.

Nah, it just doesn’t work.

Celer Silens Verbosus…everything is better in Latin

[quote]amphibian wrote:
Celer Silens Verbosus…everything is better in Latin[/quote]

Verus qui, frater.

My Latin’s a bit rusty. I haven’t used it in a couple tho’.

Ha, bravo!

Requiescat In Pace?

Latin? It’s all Greek to me :wink: