T Nation

How to Build Muscle?

I was overweight back in hischool, so I spent all of undergrad looking up how to lose weight. I managed to break it down to a few simple rules: caloric deficit, avoid high GI foods, and do exercises that maximize energy expenditure/EPOC (Compound movements, HIIT, etc…)

I finally lost the weight, and now I’d like to build some muscle, so what do I need to change? I know I need to increase my calories, but I want to do it as effectively as possible so that I gain muscle rather than (just) fat… Other than that, I don’t really know what to do.

Also, is there like a bible for building muscle? For weighloss I mostly used “Truth about six pack abs.” Thanks.

[quote]valkairon wrote:
Also, is there like a bible for building muscle? For weighloss I mostly used “Truth about six pack abs.” Thanks.[/quote]

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/the_bodybuilding_bible_free_of_charge&sa=U&ei=oYBPUcy6AcKA4gT2w4HABg&ved=0CAcQFjAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNGgTcLGmrMlM2EDK4dpSJBJLwXFQA

Lift a lot of weights in good form in a cyclic fashion to maximize recovery, and eat protein. Not that hard.

It’s about time somebody addressed this question.

[quote]valkairon wrote:
I was overweight back in hischool, so I spent all of undergrad looking up how to lose weight. I managed to break it down to a few simple rules: caloric deficit, avoid high GI foods, and do exercises that maximize energy expenditure/EPOC (Compound movements, HIIT, etc…)

I finally lost the weight, and now I’d like to build some muscle, so what do I need to change?[/quote]
“… and do exercises that maximize energy expenditure/EPOC (Compound movements, HIIT, etc…)” really should have been “and do exercises that increase strength and promote increased muscle mass (compound and isolation movements with moderate to heavy weight for low to moderate reps, etc.)”

Then muscle wouldn’t have been an issue in the first place.

What’s your current height, weight, and general fat level? I’m not asking for a bodyfat percentage, but how do you look - pudgy, average/smooth, a little lean/some definition, ripped and putting us all to shame?

What does your current training look like (days, exercises, sets, and reps)?

And, for reference, what’s your strength like on some of the basic lifts - squat, deadlift, flat bench press, overhead press, row, pull-up/pulldown, etc.?

http://www.T-Nation.com/archives.do

Pretty much.

Also, back in 2011, you had a thread that said “So I read that book and I fell in love with the total body HFT. I have to try it!”, referring to Chad Waterbury’s ‘Huge in a Hurry’ book. Based on your thread a few days ago, I’m going to guess you never got around to trying it. Correct? That’s two years of wasted time and missed muscle-building opportunity. Just sayin’.

Best advice is to read, keep browsing these forums and others. Second best advice is TRAIN. go hard in the gym, if its your first time training for mass youll see results, keep the diet clean but up the amounts. Getting in over your head with details and science so soon into it may only fluster and demotivate you. get into your routine and stick to it, best of luck

“What’s your current height, weight, and general fat level? I’m not asking for a bodyfat percentage, but how do you look - pudgy, average/smooth, a little lean/some definition, ripped and putting us all to shame?”
ha. I look average with still a little pudge, but nothing like I was before.

What does your current training look like (days, exercises, sets, and reps)?
MWF I’ll do a compound upper body push (bench/dips, etc), a compound upper body pull (rows, pull ups, etc) and a compound leg workoud alternatng between knee dominant and hip dominant (squats, deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, etc) Usualy either 4x6, or if my shoulder is messed up 3x8-12. I do intervals at the end. and steady state cardio on my off days.

And, for reference, what’s your strength like on some of the basic lifts - squat, deadlift, flat bench press, overhead press, row, pull-up/pulldown, etc.?
I just used a one rep max calculator for this:
Bench - 222, squat - 391, deadlift - 222, row - 220. I’m 5’7-9 if that matters.

Also, back in 2011, you had a thread that said “So I read that book and I fell in love with the total body HFT. I have to try it!”, referring to Chad Waterbury’s ‘Huge in a Hurry’ book. Based on your thread a few days ago, I’m going to guess you never got around to trying it. Correct? That’s two years of wasted time and missed muscle-building opportunity. Just sayin’.

Yeah, as I asked in my recent post, I was just afraid it might be overkill, but I don’t gain much muscle right now anyway, so I might just try it.

I never knew that there existed weights that do not rely on the multiplication of 5.

How do you squat 391 and deadlift 222 though? That’s a really big gap. Granted, neither really complement one another unless you’re doing low-bar squat, but most people either have similar numbers or have higher deadlift numbers.

[quote]magick wrote:
I never knew that there existed weights that do not rely on the multiplication of 5.
[/quote]

probably converting from kg

[quote]magick wrote:
[/quote]

Said he was using a 1RM calculator, so I figure it’s based on a weight he can do for a few reps.

I personally find that those calculators are accurate at low reps, but as soon as I start going above 7 or 8 they start to be less accurate. In either case though, that deadlift number is worryingly low, as has already been said.

Just pick a proven template like 5x5 or a Dan John program and work the hell out of it for 6 months

Also Chris just posted a very solid program here…

I recommend reading up on all the articles that are available on T-Nation. Personally, I really like Chad Waterbury’s full body workouts. He has a few different ones but pretty much the concept is that frequency training results in the most muscle gains. I’ve had really great success with his programs. Just read up on the articles and you can figure the rest out.

[quote]younjs wrote:
I recommend reading up on all the articles that are available on T-Nation. Personally, I really like Chad Waterbury’s full body workouts. He has a few different ones but pretty much the concept is that frequency training results in the most muscle gains. I’ve had really great success with his programs. Just read up on the articles and you can figure the rest out.

[/quote]
This guy apparently bought Chad’s book 2 years ago.
Pity he never actually went to the gym.