How to Build Big Traps?

Others have mentioned deadlifts. Are you doing those?

How long have you been training your traps? How long have you been training in general?

Height and weight?

I don’t do any shrugs, I feel like I get enough trap work out of other things I do for my own goals. BUT, shrugs are the appropriate answer to the question. Shrugs are going to be the most efficient way to directly target the traps and build them up, if they are currently a weak point. Everything you said about just getting enough work out of deadlifts and rows only makes sense if a) you’re already happy with your trap development relative to the rest of your body, which I assume the OP isn’t, and b) if you’re doing deadlifts and/or high rows. What if you aren’t? Not everyone deadlifts, or has a reason to deadlift. Shrugs DEFINITELY make sense if those sorts of lifts aren’t in a person’s current rotation of lifts.

2 Likes

I can understand this argument from your example/the conditions stated here. Also if we are considering an athlete or competitive bodybuilder trying to better his weak points. If the OP has weak traps, he probably has other muscle groups in better need of attention. Hell, you may even reach the traps with higher shoulder flyes, which also is a great shoulder developer IF you tolerate it in terms of impingement. Come to think of it, I’ve always done my shoulderflyes 10-15 degrees above 90 degrees.

But, no matter how we put it, this narrows down the training population in exclusive benefit of shrugs to a great minority.

Where do we/you/I rate shrugs on the long list of possible excercises for the body? Me personally, as you may have suspected, put shrugs at the absolute bottom of my list.

I highly recommend checking out the book I linked if you are ever interested in having your opinion challenged.

1 Like

It is very common with preconceptions when having strong opinions - so I might just do that. Even if I don’t change my mind, I might learn something. Thanks!

1 Like

No problem man! Paul Kelso was a gift we didn’t deserve. Aside from his shrug book, I feel every lifter, irrespective of goals, owes it to themselves to read “Powerlifting Basics: Texas Style”

2 Likes

Yeah as everyone says, get your deadlift up, cleans shrugs etc

i’ll add:do these -will build traps AND broaden shoulders/better proportion etc

1 Like