How to Break Sticking Point in Chin-Up?

Turpin, why do you wrap your wrists to do chinups?

[quote]RTJenforcer wrote:
Turpin, why do you wrap your wrists to do chinups?[/quote]

Ive had a few ops on my wrist cartlidges ( from my powerlifting days ) , but also because I attempt to use zero rest between exercise ( rush factor training ) and with dips and U/rows immedietely after the chin ( which aggrivate my wrist ) I start the 4 exercise routine with the wraps on as it saves wrapping between.

T.

[quote]Turpin wrote:
Try out some single rep chins held in the contracted position for a TUL ( time under load ) of around 30 sec then fight the negative to conclusion ( x 1 weekly only ) , then try increasing by 2.5 - 5 lbs per week over some 6 weeks , Im sure you will se a difference. The single rep allows full concentration and effort.
I tried this over a 6 week workout programme and documented my results by video ( you tube … see below ) and I increased/doubled my chins from 50 lb - 110 lb for similar TUL ( 45 sec )

All said/done if you do not allow for suffice recovery from any exercise regime then progress will be non existant , after many years of training ( now age 45 ) I know that I can only train a particular lift ( & any musculature involved in that lift ) every 9 days , otherwise I see regression in resistance and/or reps.

[/quote]

Wow, impressive. Were you using your max weight on the chins, 90%, …?

[quote]Turpin wrote:

[quote]RTJenforcer wrote:
Turpin, why do you wrap your wrists to do chinups?[/quote]

Ive had a few ops on my wrist cartlidges ( from my powerlifting days ) , but also because I attempt to use zero rest between exercise ( rush factor training ) and with dips and U/rows immedietely after the chin ( which aggrivate my wrist ) I start the 4 exercise routine with the wraps on as it saves wrapping between.

T. [/quote]

Sounds like tough stuff!

[quote]Phydeaux wrote:

[quote]Turpin wrote:
Try out some single rep chins held in the contracted position for a TUL ( time under load ) of around 30 sec then fight the negative to conclusion ( x 1 weekly only ) , then try increasing by 2.5 - 5 lbs per week over some 6 weeks , Im sure you will se a difference. The single rep allows full concentration and effort.
I tried this over a 6 week workout programme and documented my results by video ( you tube … see below ) and I increased/doubled my chins from 50 lb - 110 lb for similar TUL ( 45 sec )

All said/done if you do not allow for suffice recovery from any exercise regime then progress will be non existant , after many years of training ( now age 45 ) I know that I can only train a particular lift ( & any musculature involved in that lift ) every 9 days , otherwise I see regression in resistance and/or reps.

[/quote]

Wow, impressive. Were you using your max weight on the chins, 90%, …?
[/quote]

I chose a resistance/weight that allowed for a TUL of approx 45 sec at failure , then attempted to increase the resistance by 5 lb every workout ( x 1 weekly )  over 8 weeks whilst keeping similar TUL. 
It was a worthwhile experiment , but there was little by way of carryover when returning to normal/higher rep protocol. 
 I have continued to make good gain  , this time using a `rest pause` cycle of training over 6 weeks , a  method whereby I would perform a maximum single repetition followed by a ten breath ( approx 15 sec ) pause , then attempt another repetition with the same weight , followed by a further pause of 10-15 breaths before a final 3rd attempt with either a little assistance or slightly reduced poundage. It is a very intense method of training ( hence can only be used for short cycles ) but very productive.

Best wishes , T.