How to Best Make Use of a BlackBerry

Thought I’d start this thread up in the same vein as the iPhone yoke, since there seems to be a fair few people on here with BB’s. I got my titanium 8900 in January, but don’t feel like i use it all that differently from my first phone ten years ago, besides email and facebook.

Any awesome applications, and mega-interesting things to do with it?

Personally I’d buy the iphone app. Its an app that makes the blackberry act like an Iphone

I still do not understand why I cannot receive pictures message on my BB. WTF.

How about a paper weight just like all the other cells and crap you might have bought over the years.

I hate cells I will never have one again. All mine did was interrupt my time to do what I liked or what my goals were. Although they do make a great black book I have to admit.

When I am not at home, leave a msg. Nothing to me is sooooo important that you need to know it right then and there where ever you are. If you think so I think you need to take your head out of your own ass.

If you had to work on a cell or BB all the time. You would pitch that sucker into the drawer until it was time for work the next day. Cause it splits your quality time.

Yeah you can turn it off but how many people really do that? I never did. But when the service ended I was finally free of my electronic leash.

Our parents survived on plain old telco why can’t you??

[quote]jchenky wrote:
I still do not understand why I cannot receive pictures message on my BB. WTF.[/quote]

I don’t know how to do that either. A friend just gave me the one I have for free…it is an older model. I think 8700 or 7800…

I like it because it is easy to text with. I don’t even use the web or check email.

Funny part is, you kind of answered your own question. You’re using it for what it does best: phoning, texting, checking email, and limited web browsing. Nothing really special about it, lol.

You could always use it as an organizer/planner, download the mobile versions of MS office, or take advantage of the GPS feature if you have it.

[quote]Fabregas wrote:
Personally I’d buy the iphone app. Its an app that makes the blackberry act like an Iphone[/quote]

What do you mean “act more like an iPhone”?

I’d be interested in it if it improved the music playing feature of the phone. I have the Storm, which I got more for the music aspect than anything else (lost my iPod), but find it doesn’t quite fill the shoes of what I’m used to.

[quote]Fabregas wrote:
Personally I’d buy the iphone app. Its an app that makes the blackberry act like an Iphone[/quote]

Blackberry fail. Why not just get the iPhone?

I fought it for 2 years, the only thing that comes close is the HTD HD. You notice how every other manufacturer is copying the iPhone? It’s no coincidence - they are worried because it is that much better.

[quote]JGerman wrote:
jchenky wrote:
I still do not understand why I cannot receive pictures message on my BB. WTF.

I don’t know how to do that either. A friend just gave me the one I have for free…it is an older model. I think 8700 or 7800…

I like it because it is easy to text with. I don’t even use the web or check email.[/quote]

I’m glad i’m not the only one. I actually think there is something wrong with the MMS ability on my phone because others are able to receive and send pictures.

I typically just use mine to email, text, browse the web and book appointments on my calendar. If I were lost I would use the GPS.

I don’t really use any of the applications on the BB. The odd time i’ll check facebook.

I’m somewhat an apple fan boy, but hate the iPhone’s damn keyboard. If i could use it without using the delete button twice every word, i’d snap one up in an instant. The physical qwerty on BB’s is just, in a word, great to use.

RSGZ, are you currently on an o2 tariff with yours? Or possible on another - I read in the iPhone thread you had yours jailbroken…?

[quote]roweski wrote:
I’m somewhat an apple fan boy, but hate the iPhone’s damn keyboard. If i could use it without using the delete button twice every word, i’d snap one up in an instant. The physical qwerty on BB’s is just, in a word, great to use.

RSGZ, are you currently on an o2 tariff with yours? Or possible on another - I read in the iPhone thread you had yours jailbroken…?[/quote]

Yeah I’m on o2 - was with Orange previously but for the same price I’ve got 1200 minutes instead of 450. Yeah, jailbreaking the iPhone opens up tons of new apps and features - unless you use your phone camera a lot, nothing really touches this IMO.

As for the keyboard, in the 3.0 update coming soon, they have landscape text messaging which may make things easier but honestly, after a few weeks using the keyboard is dead easy.

Damnit I sound like a rep for these guys now, I’m done.

I hate the data plan for my Blackberry Curve. I think its a ripoff, but what isn’t with cell phones. I like the phone, but sometimes sending and receiving pictures is a problem. Jchenky, what might work better for sending pictures is to send them via contacts, and not as an MMS to a mobile phone. I know you might have people who aren’t on your contact list, but for those who are I think it works better. Just sayin’.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
I hate the data plan for my Blackberry Curve. I think its a ripoff, but what isn’t with cell phones. I like the phone, but sometimes sending and receiving pictures is a problem. Jchenky, what might work better for sending pictures is to send them via contacts, and not as an MMS to a mobile phone. I know you might have people who aren’t on your contact list, but for those who are I think it works better. Just sayin’.[/quote]

You mean sending it by BB messenger? I do that if they are on my BB messenger contact list but for those of my friends who don’t have a BB they don’t see my photos that I send them and I can’t see theirs.

[quote]jchenky wrote:
I still do not understand why I cannot receive pictures message on my BB. WTF.[/quote]

That’s okay… Just as long as you can send them. :wink:

Here jchenky just pm me your number and we’ll see if we can’t sort that out for you :wink:

/end terrible pickup line

In all seriousness it isn’t possible to text message pictures with BB you have to use other means such as BB messenger or email. However in my opinion I find the limited amount of letters you can send in a text with BB more annoying than the picture thing.

[quote]Split wrote:
Here jchenky just pm me your number and we’ll see if we can’t sort that out for you :wink:

/end terrible pickup line

In all seriousness it isn’t possible to text message pictures with BB you have to use other means such as BB messenger or email. However in my opinion I find the limited amount of letters you can send in a text with BB more annoying than the picture thing.
[/quote]

The issue with limiting text is the same as the picture issue.
It has nothing to do with the phone. Its your provider not setting that option up.

[quote]dirtbag wrote:
How about a paper weight just like all the other cells and crap you might have bought over the years.

I hate cells I will never have one again. All mine did was interrupt my time to do what I liked or what my goals were. Although they do make a great black book I have to admit.

When I am not at home, leave a msg. Nothing to me is sooooo important that you need to know it right then and there where ever you are. If you think so I think you need to take your head out of your own ass.

If you had to work on a cell or BB all the time. You would pitch that sucker into the drawer until it was time for work the next day. Cause it splits your quality time.

Yeah you can turn it off but how many people really do that? I never did. But when the service ended I was finally free of my electronic leash.

Our parents survived on plain old telco why can’t you??[/quote]

I really like this attitude. My brother has businesses spread all over the country and he is glued to his blackberry day and night. He won’t turn it off for half an hour to spend with his family in case there’s an “emergency.” It’s pretty damn irritating.

The new Bold from Blackberry is superfantastichappyhour.

[quote]dirtbag wrote:

Our parents survived on plain old telco why can’t you??[/quote]

I am inclined to agree on some level…Ive been out with friends (girls especially) who your having a great conversation with and then its interrupted by 50000000000 phone calls or text…whats worse if you dont answer the phone or text then the people get pissy because they couldnt reach you with the extremely important news that they were bored and had nuttin to do.Ive seen people pick up their phone and yell at the person calling kuz they were so sick of it.

But I would definitly get a bb or iphone if I could afford it haha