T Nation

How to Be a Gentleman Online (Even in PWI)

I thought this was a really good article and particularly germane for this board. Keep it civil people, the name calling and unnecessary hating just makes you look like an ass and ruins the discourse and exchange of ideas here. Let's actually improve ourselves.

Civil debate on line?! Who's heard of such bullshit!
Every conversation should start in good faith, but if the mutual respect is violated, well tough shit.

Both of you are idiots.

Stop trying to show us how young and naive you are. Most realize that it takes two to be civil and when you are hotly debating a point at least one party usually goes off track. And then the other party follows. So just save your time junior.

(See that I called him junior--I'm going off track:)

LOL!!!

Haha well that didn't take long did it Zeb! Here is a favorite quote of mine I think applies here:

"Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable; however, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose laziness and despondency make them give it up as unattainable."

-Bruce Lee

Or we can just say fuck it and start spitting on each other again.

Being miserable and treating other T-Men like dirt is every T-man's God given right.

Bunch of idiots trolling this super gay thread.

This quote doesn't even correlate with your point, fuck bruce lee.....Wars aren't won with kind words.

I can't tell you how many times I have discussed politics with friends, and THEY ALWAYS are the first ones to start calling me names (they are liberals, go figure). I guarantee once you cross that line I'm throwing haymakers and going way over the top.

WHY THE FUCK should I respect someone who has no respect for me???

The best defense is a good offense

^^^ Amen my brother, preach that shit.

Libs want to throw race, hate, or xenophobia to shut you up. But it only shows that they lost the argument. Remember how Obama told people to get in their face and argue when he was trying to pass his health care law?

There really was only one direction for this thread to go...

For this forum, it was practically beginning for some roughing up.

Sigh... I forgot two wrongs do make a right.

You should care, because you want to improve the level of discourse out there. You should care because you make yourself look like a fool shouting invective to anyone of reason. But maybe more pragmatically, you should care because, if you cared to read the article, being hateful and abusive only entrenches others in their belief- which means if you care about your beliefs spreading at all you should do so in the most efficacious way possible- which means not shouting at each other.

But I suppose if you just want to feel like a big man having a conversation of one while shouting at everyone else about how right you are then that is your business. A bad business, but your business. You can still be respectful while reproving someone.

Isn't that sad though? There are some smart people here, folks I disagree with at times, but smart people all the same. We could be improving ourselves in a grown up way, but instead everyone here laughs at the mere idea of being civil to each other.

Are you saying this to the person being disrespected, or the person being disrespectful ?

Like the song says..."Don't start no shit, there won't be no shit..."

Damn it, I missed that in the How-to guide...