T Nation

How to Alleviate Lower Back Tightness?

Been having this problem recently and I think it has affected my DL performance somewhat. Besides using a tennis ball to roll my lower back,what other measures are there?

Thanks.

Your tightness can’t really be answered by any of us, but things that normally cause lower back pain: no core stability, tight hip flexors, glutes that aren’t strong/can’t activate properly, lack of hip/ankle mobility, and lack of hip internal rotation. I would start by reading this article:

also take a look at Eric Cresseys’ “Lower back savers” articles (2)

I am firm believer in seated good mornings. Go light- sets of 8-12. Lean forward as far as is comfortable. As your back loosens up, you will be more comfortable going lower.

I second the tight hip flexors. Your lower back has to hyperextend to compensate for tight hip flexors, and that’s usually where most people feel the pain.

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/HipFlexors/KneelingHipFlexor.html

If you can’t do this without calling an ambulance, you’re too tight.

-Sab

If this soreness is simply exercise induced “pump”, i usually like to do standing ab pulldowns. helps relieve some tightness.

I’ve started doing russian twists off a decline bench recently and they’ve really helped my back feel nice.

That being said, from your description there could literally be ANYTHING wrong with you.

foam roll + Jack’s Blue Heat and I can handle most anything. Throw in some occasional hamstring streches for good measure and maybe some more ab work.

I find the kneeling hip flexor stretch just about useless.

I bend the knee onto a table top, or something fairly high with the top of my foot. Lean back, and then take a dip. The first few times I actually induced lower back pain, but it eventually healed and its 100% again.

ATG narrow stance overhead squats as a warm up before any heavy lower body work have helped me alot. Every time I phase them out my back gets stiff and sore before long. Even going no heavier than an unloaded olympic bar does the trick - do as many sets/reps as needed to go completely arse to calves and sit down there comfortably for maybe 5-10 seconds whilst maintaining a good back arch. Worth a try.