How to Add Iso Pull ups in the Routine

Hi guys, I am going to add iso hold pull ups in my routine to strengthen the back and improve the sticky point in the regular pull ups. I was wondering how to add iso hold in my regular routine. I train the upper body 2-times a week. I do a sort of undulating periodization, so in the first workout I perform weighted chin-ups followed by(I am not able to do the weighted pull ups in this moment) other heavy stuff and three days later I do regular pull ups followed by a more hypertrophy training.

When should I do iso-hold pull ups in the workout routine?? How should I perform these ones for what concert frequency,set,rest,reps ??

I have always been terrible with pull ups. I started doing pull ups in between sets for active rest and it has made a huge difference. Try doing 5-10 pull ups while you rest on every workout day except back day.

thanks but I am not so terrible…I am just not able to do the weighetd pull-ups, but I can do the weighted chin up… I would prefer to try iso-hold approach as i heard (and read) that it works

Lower your active rest reps and do an iso-hold on each rep. Really focus on contracting your back, like you are doing a back double bicep pose.

How many pull ups can you do?

Cause you say you are doing pull ups for hypertrophy which to me would mean doing sets of at least 6-8 reps, if you can do a decent number of sets at that rep range I don’t understand how you can’t do them weighted.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
How many pull ups can you do?

Cause you say you are doing pull ups for hypertrophy which to me would mean doing sets of at least 6-8 reps, if you can do a decent number of sets at that rep range I don’t understand how you can’t do them weighted.[/quote]

the last time I did 5 sets with these reps 5-4-4-4-4 ( bringing the bar to the chest), I didn’t try the weighted pull up because I am not still able to do 6 reps with the proper form…
If you say me just bring the bar at the chin, I can do about ten reps in the first set. My problem is the final portion of the movement.

what do you think if I do iso pulls at the end of each pull-up set as a post-fatigue in the hypertrophy day?? Is it enough? or Is necessary more frequency to have the benefits of the iso pulls?

[quote]Jnatural wrote:
what do you think if I do iso pulls at the end of each pull-up set as a post-fatigue in the hypertrophy day?? Is it enough?[/quote]

I think it’s enough. I’ve been doing that myself to destroy my lats more and it’s been working good.

How about you stop asking dumb questions for a while.

[quote]Jnatural wrote:
Hi guys, I am going to add iso hold pull ups in my routine to strengthen the back and improve the sticky point in the regular pull ups. I was wondering how to add iso hold in my regular routine. I train the upper body 2-times a week. I do a sort of undulating periodization, so in the first workout I perform weighted chin-ups followed by(I am not able to do the weighted pull ups in this moment) other heavy stuff and three days later I do regular pull ups followed by a more hypertrophy training.

When should I do iso-hold pull ups in the workout routine?? How should I perform these ones for what concert frequency,set,rest,reps ??[/quote]

I’ve found the best way to improve the # of pull-ups you can do is to do more BW pull-ups period. It’s not revolutionary, but it works. I like pyramids the best myself. They helped me go from 20-30 pull-ups back in my active duty days. Weighted pull-ups won’t do anything for total # in my experience and I think there are better ways to build upper back strength. After all pull-ups are really primarily a lat movement with bi/tri doing a good bit of work too.

I think to often people use to much weight on the pull-up and you lose the benefit, which is why I dislike weighted pull-ups. They just don’t have the carryover in my expereince like a weighted dip does for example.

In all seriousness if you can’t do multiple sets of 8-10 you don’t need to do iso holds. Especially seeing how lean you are (assuming avatar is recent). Pull-ups are like anything else, practice, practice, and practice…

If you would just deadlift your upper back would get stronger :slight_smile: