T Nation

How to Accurately Measure Cereal & Oats?

My cereal is a pack of 400 grams with supposedly 13 servings (each is 30 grams which gives you 130ish calories). I use a standard measuring cup to get around 3/4 cup of the cereal. That 3/4 cup of cereal measure only 10 grams on the weighing scale. When I add more to reach 30 grams, it will be around a large soup bowl. I have good reasons to think 3/4 cup of cereal is almost 30 grams but I want to know how to track cereal calories or measure the serving size?

I also read that Quaker Oats, each measuring 1/2 standard cup has 150 calories. Is Quaker Oat really low in caloric density compared to other oats?

What options for caloric dense food in carbohydrate and protein foods? other than banana.

Weigh food using kitchen scales i.e. by weight. Less math that way. Use the per 100g column to find out how much of each macro there is and multiply by the total weight. Add or subtract yum yums as desired.

There is no point in being accurate as your labels can off by 20+%. Just be consistent in how you measure and adjust as you observe what happens.

I have a digital scale but as I mentioned, it looks like an overestimate for cereal and oats when I use to measure those two items.

30 grams of raw cereal measured on a digital scale, will fit in a standard measurement cup size (supposedly 220 grams), that is not a minor difference so I have to ask.

Measure by weight not volume. With all these different food stuffs that have different densities and take up different amounts of space it doesn’t really work to measure with cups as for the example you’ve cited.

Don’t use cups. The weight on the scale is the number you use not however much the conversion should be in cups to grams.

Alright, I will.

How about caloric dense food (carbohydrate and protein) other than banana? Is Quaker Oats less caloric dense than other type of Oatmeal?

I want cheapest ways to increase my calories.

If labels are off by this large percentages , does some make correction in their caloric intake? For example, someone who eats 1700, is actually eating 2040 and someone who eats 1900 is actually eating 2280 calories. That would even make my job easier since I want to up my calories for recomp and lean bulk.

I have been observing for 9.5 weeks for fat loss only, which was successful but now I have issue since my plan has changed to recomp and possibly lean bulk. I am not sure what is going on, how can I know if it is working out as far as recomp and lean bulk? Obviously measurements, maybe increase in lifts but sometimes the weight changes do not show for three weeks or so and lifts will stall for a while. What could be good indicators?

Pretty much any staple carb source would give you more calories e.g. rice, potato, pasta etc. Maybe turn breakfast into more of a proper meal if you need more calories.