How Sore Are You?

barryjenkins00: Thanks for post’n bro. I can so relate to “plop down in their car or take 5 minutes getting out of the car” Sometimes rolling over in bed at night is a huge challenge. Lifted 6 X 8 320# suitcase dead lifts along with the rest of my leg routine and my arse is sore today. Training for a 500+ deadlift before the end of the year. Bet that will make me SORE.

Mzungu: “Hence the enforced rest” Wow I guess…have fun.

i find that my shoulders and legs get more sore than anything else when i work them out, especially when i hit 90%+ 1RM on the lifts, or concentrate on form with my squats.

question: what is the reason that soreness is often much worse 2 days after a workout than the day following a workout?

This is Wikipedia’s answer to that question.
Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), also sometimes called muscle fever, is the pain or discomfort often felt 24 to 72 hours after exercising and subsides generally within 2 to 3 days. It is commonly thought to be caused by increased lactate concentrations; however, high lactate concentrations from exercise typically subside in the body within an hour, so it can not explain pain experienced days after exercise.

I find that is the case for myself also, around 30 to 48 hours after a big leg/dead lift I can hardly walk. I know that regular sessions of stretching will greatly reduce the soreness for me…

Thanks for posting…Dent

The first big dead lift back in July made me sore as hell and prompted this thread. A few weeks later I was feeling strong and crazy and after my normal workout plus 2 DL sets at 225 X 8 and 1 set of 315 X 8 I lifted a new pr of 425 X 2. I figured I would die when the DOMS set in. Nothing…ya that was strange, no soreness at all. Fast forward to last Tuesday.

Went to the gym with big sets of squats and DL’s on my mind. My over all goal will be to DL 505 and squat 405 on my 50th B-day July of 2010. I did my normal back workout and squat’d 3 great sets of 225 and proceeded to my dead lifts. 2 sets of 225 X 8, 2 of 325 X 8 and 405 X 4. Felt awesome. This morning I hurt like a semi ran over me.

Why in hell would I get by on my last lift without any soreness and this time I’m dying??
I monitor my protein intake and my diet very closely and it was very consistent with all three lifts…HELP

Man I feel ya! I am not as old as you but I feel the same pains, most of which make no sense from one day to the next. Feel fine one week and then felt like I was hit by a bus the next. Drives me crazy.

As far as your back goes, can you tell (I know its hard to tell) if its muscular? Is it the lower part on both sides or does it favor a side. With me, I can do rack pulls one week pretty heavy and feel great and then the next week I will do explosive reps and can barely walk. and vice versa. I have been going to a chiro and turns out that my pain is sciatica along with lower back muscle soreness. They both merge together pretty well so it was hard to realize that there was 2 independent feeling there. One should have been there (muscle soreness) and the other shouldn’t (sciatica). I will say this though, if I go into the gym with the pain/soreness and start lifting like normal for that day, about half way through all the pain is gone and will not come back until several hours later. Interesting how the body works. Actually is kinda sucks! 8)

Check into the sciatica nerve and see if any of those symptoms match what you’re feeling…

Good Luck!

Mateus: thanks for the reply. It’s a comfort to know I’m not the only one hurt’n…

First Time a2g…
F’n sore!

Thanks for the fish oil reminder… Off to the fridge now.