T Nation

How Soon Is Too Soon to Eat PW?

I finished up my workout  (deadlifts, snatches, pull ups, dips) and pounded my serving of Surge. 25 minutes later, I ate a 90 calorie (9 g protein/9 g carbs/9 g fiber) wrap, which was filled with assorted fresh vegetables and a half chicken breast. 

Was it too soon to eat? Normally, I try to wait an hour from the time I drink my Surge to the post-post meal, but I was really hungry. Does it matter that I ate so soon after the serving of Surge?

Thanks for the input.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
I finished up my workout (deadlifts, snatches, pull ups, dips) and pounded my serving of Surge. 25 minutes later, I ate a 90 calorie (9 g protein/9 g carbs/9 g fiber) wrap, which was filled with assorted fresh vegetables and a half chicken breast.

Was it too soon to eat? Normally, I try to wait an hour from the time I drink my Surge to the post-post meal, but I was really hungry. Does it matter that I ate so soon after the serving of Surge?

Thanks for the input. [/quote]

You were really hungry PWO, and are worried about 90 calories?

You’re thinking too hard.

TSB?

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
Does it matter that I ate so soon after the serving of Surge?
[/quote]

It’s not a big deal. I’ll often eat as soon as thirty minutes after my post-workout Surge if I’m hungry.

Optimal protocol seems to be

PW - CHO and PRO (+ Creatine and glut) - you can use your Surge here

PPW - solid meal, complex CHO, pro.

Job done.

[quote]polluted wrote:
dhuge67 wrote:
I finished up my workout (deadlifts, snatches, pull ups, dips) and pounded my serving of Surge. 25 minutes later, I ate a 90 calorie (9 g protein/9 g carbs/9 g fiber) wrap, which was filled with assorted fresh vegetables and a half chicken breast.

Thanks for the input.

You were really hungry PWO, and are worried about 90 calories?

You’re thinking too hard.

TSB?
[/quote]
TSB means?

The wrap itself was 90 cals. I’d say the whole thing was under 300 cals. A snack-sized meal, but still a bit of food and consumed pretty quickly after the Surge. I was just wondering if it would cause problems with the “anabolic window” or something.

The way I always do it is that I do not care what under the sun I eat for my PW meal, so long as it has a TON of calories and a ton protein from meat.

PW I drink a 50ish gram protein shake with some carbo max and creatine.

1 hour later its a huge meal. I think that allows plenty of time to digest the drink, as well as still hitting a good window of time after your workout.

I dunno, I normally dont put a huge emphasis on timing or try to overcomplicate anything, within an hour or two seems good, so long as you get a good pw shake/drink in.

I say you wait approximately 24.6778888789 minutes after having your shake.

For the second post workout meal I only can recommend tube steak boogie as this has the optimal ratios of aminos acids.

they usually say to wait about 40 or 25 minutes after the PW meal. I personally wouldnt eat before 30 minutes had passed.

I usually eat within 30 minutes of my post workout shake. Post workout I drink my shake, shower, change and go eat. I’m guessing this would take about 30 minutes.

I feel if you are hungry, you should eat. Especially if you are trying to gain weight. I wouldn’t worry about it too much.