T Nation

How Should I Approach Training?

I was a thrower in college from 01-05. At my best I was 265lbs, with a 400bench 600squat and 400clean with around 15% bodyfat at 6’.

Since I’ve “retired”, I havent done much lifting, have eaten like shit and am 245lbs with 20% bodyfat.

I’m interested in bodybuilding and wondering where I should start.

1. Should I concern myself with losing the 10-20lbs of babyfat around my waist with a “cutting” diet or lifting program?

2. Or should I just get out and lift, do some interval training, and watch what I eat? I’m assuming since I really have been a piece of shit for the past year, simply putting down the cheetos and getting into the gym consistently will produce noticable results.

What do you’all think?

Any help would be much appreciated.
KBC

I’d go with option 2. Get yourself back in the groove and figure out what you want to do after a few months. Good luck and toss the Cheetos!

You must approach training slowly, with a crouched body posture.

When training sees you, make a double vocalization, like you are clearing your throat twice. This is how you can alert training that you mean it no harm.

If training allows you to stay, always keep your head lower than training’s; this is a sign of respect and submission.

Should training charge: HOLD YOUR GROUND! Training is testing you and if you run, training will most likely peel you like a guava.

Also, never get between training and his/her babies.

[quote]harris447 wrote:
You must approach training slowly, with a crouched body posture.

When training sees you, make a double vocalization, like you are clearing your throat twice. This is how you can alert training that you mean it no harm.

If training allows you to stay, always keep your head lower than training’s; this is a sign of respect and submission.

Should training charge: HOLD YOUR GROUND! Training is testing you and if you run, training will most likely peel you like a guava.

Also, never get between training and his/her babies.[/quote]

ROFLMAO!!!

Holy shit you were a strong son of a bitch! I’d go with option 2. Get your strength back up to respectable levels and get your diet on track, then split your routine up and focus more on “bodybuilding” with slightly higher rep ranges, shorter rest periods in between sets, and more exercises per muscle group.

Results will come very fast since you used to possess freaky strength levels.

I heard an interesting piece by Alwyn Cosgrove. No matter how much time and experience you have training, if you are fat, and this a relative term, you are fatter than you want to be so you are fat, anyway, you should approach it like a beginner would. You are new to the fat loss mode.

I would vote for a whole body, varying rep ranges, interval training following it, and after a brief rest, if you have time, some steady state stuff. This is assuming you have your diet dialed in.

Would definitely go with option 2. I have never been one who is paranoid about body fat. Just gaining muscle. But if it really bothers you, I wouldn’t be the one to stand in your way of cutting.