How Should I Add Other Exercises to Your Type 2A Squat Cycle?

TYPE 2A SQUAT CYCLE

Type 2A are normally extroverted and fun to be around. However, deep down they have a lower level of confidence and the reason why they are fun to be around is that they need everybody to like them. They are great at adapting to the person they are talking to. They can handle a lot of physical work, they are hard to overtrain, BUT they get easily bored from training if it becomes repetitive. If they repeat the same training for too long, they will show signs of mental fatigue that are similar to overtraining. As I always say, with them everything works but nothing works for long. They do better when they have a wide variety of stimuli in their training.

For this reason, they can do the Smolov Jr. as it was designed. The change in rep ranges throughout the week will keep them motivated, at least for a while. And the program being 3-4 weeks in length is about the limit of what they can do.

Even though the traditional Smolov Jr. program will work for them, I still prefer an approach that includes more variation, especially in the methods used (Type 2A love methods variation).

Option 1. Method variation

DAY 1 – Speed squats with 60-67.5% of 1RM for sets of 3 (see progression model after the schedule)

DAY 2 – Slow eccentrics (5 seconds) squats 4 sets of 6

DAY 3 – Paused squats (3 second just short of the bottom position) 6 sets of 4

DAY 4 – Regular squats ramp up to 3RM

NOTE ON PROGRESSION

For DAY 1 the progression over 4 weeks is as follow:

Week 1: 12 x 3 @ 60%

Week 2: 10 x 3 @ 62.5%

Week 3: 8 x 3 @ 65%

Week 4: 6 x 3 @ 67.5%

For DAY 2 the progression over 4 weeks is as follow:

Week 1: 4 x 6 @ 70%

Week 2: 4 x 6 with 10lbs more

Week 3: 4 x 6 with 10lbs more

Week 4: 4 x 6 with 10lbs more

For DAY 3 the progression over 4 weeks would look like:

Week 1: 6 x 4 @ 75%

Week 2: 6 x 4 with 10lbs more

Week 3: 6 x 4 with 10lbs more

Week 4: 6 x 4 with 10lbs more

On DAY 4 you work up to a 3RM so there is no specific progression scheme.