How Practical Is This?

I was talking to one of the golf instructors about weight training methods at my job (driving range). This golf instructor told me that Annika Sorenstam does 100 pull-ups in one set with an additional 40 pounds everyday. The instructor later went on to say that all of her students are expected to do 100 pushups a day, everyday. If they can’t do all 100 in one set they can break it up into smaller sets until they get to 100.

So I’m curious, what is the practicality of such high number of reps? Is there any practicality at all??

[quote]bluestreets wrote:
I was talking to one of the golf instructors about weight training methods at my job (driving range). This golf instructor told me that Annika Sorenstam does 100 pull-ups in one set with an additional 40 pounds everyday. The instructor later went on to say that all of her students are expected to do 100 pushups a day, everyday. If they can’t do all 100 in one set they can break it up into smaller sets until they get to 100.

So I’m curious, what is the practicality of such high number of reps? Is there any practicality at all??[/quote]

It’s great if you want or need to do tons of pushups, like military pt tests for instance.

Other than that, its not really useful, especially if your goals are to get bigger or stronger.

So I’m curious, what is the practicality of such high number of reps? Is there any practicality at all??[/quote]

For Golf??? I dont see how that transfers at all. In no way do you need endurance except for walking in golf. It one maximal swing thats it. Sure doing those chins etc is great for GPP etc but I dont see how it has a transfer to the sport.

100 pull-ups in one set with 40 lbs extra?

“Hey Farva- whats that restuarant you like with the mozzarella sticks and all the goofy shit on the walls?”

You mean Shenanigans?

A chick does 100 pullups in one set, even with extra weight?

Total Bullshit.

She’d be a real amazon if she’d manage to do 20, without extra weight.

What is your instructor’s reference on Annika’s workouts? I Google’d it and only found this USA Today article back in 2004 where she worked up to 15 pull-ups from not being able to do one in the beginning.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf/2004-02-12-sorenstam-toughest_x.htm

I know Annika’s been working out hard, and you tell by looking at her, but I find it hard to believe that she can do 100 pull-ups with 40lbs on her.

I’m not sure of the uses of doing exercises in such high repetition. Tiger Woods supposedly work in the 6-8 rep range for his workouts according to this Golf Digest article:

http://www.golfdigest.com/features/index.ssf?/features/gd200408tigerworkout.html

It looks like a lot of big compound movements with bench press, shoulder press, and squats. Maybe that’s a better approach than doing 100 pushups a day.

Thanks for all the input guys. Double thanks to jthsiao for the links. I didn’t see much of a reason to do 100 of any kind of movement (and I didn’t even believe the 100 pullups thing). So I figured I’d ask you guys for some clarification. Thanks again.

too many chin ups - tight lats - internal rotation of the shoulders.

too many push ups - tight chest - internal rotation of the shoulder.

Position shoulders are in when executing a swing thousands of times a week - internal rotation…

Most common postural deviation of modern man - internal rotation of shoulders…
I think you found a chump, not a coach…

Pretty silly, esp if that’s all she has them do. There’s something to be said about working towards a goal, but the goal of golf lessons is to get better at golf, not to develop the resistance to stress and muscular endurance of a soldier.

Plus, if she really knew anything about training, she’d know that 100 unweighted pullups is incredibly hard.

[/quote]

bullshit

[quote]

better for golf, conventional weightlifting would screw up your swing, the last thing you want in pro golf is:

1. feeling fatigued as crap from workouts, fluctuating energy levels, even mental energy

2. fluctuating strength levels, going up/down depending on workout

playing at that level for that prizemoney, screw ANYTHING that could mess with your swing

high reps won’t because they are aerobic

100 pull-ups in one set? Whatever.

100 push-ups is probably possible, definitely for a guy, a challenge for a chick.

Your friend is talking shit

As a healthy young male I can get 5 pullups with a 45 pound plate on me. And when I mean I can get them I mean that im putting all my effort and all my balls have to offer to get said ammount in one set. If there is a woman out there that can get 100 with a 40 pound plate I’d say she should go for the world records. I dont even think a guy can get that ammount of pullups with that ammount of weight on.