How often should I HIIT?

I am doing a weight routine which requires me to lift for under 30 minutes (6 days a week, though). It is obviously very low volume (2 exercises per workout oif a 5x5 nature), and so I have ample time to perform 15-20 minutes of HIIT after each workout.

How many days a week should I perform HIIT? I would do it on all 6 if I wasn’t afraid of hindering muscle gains or burning out. It lets me eat a little more while cutting, and its oh so painful (but in a good way).

How many times/week would you guys suggest doing HIIT on an elliptical, 30min sprinting with 60sec rests? I sprint a total of anywhere from 8-12 times during the workout (usually around 9), and it takes me under 20 minutes, so I’m out of the gym in 45-50 minutes tops. I don’t want to run the risk of hindering muscle preservation because I do HIIT so much, and I also want the fat to come off quickly (obviously).

Thanks for your reccomendations.

What exactly are doing in your wrestling training? I remember the coach having us run stairs like a muther and doing dips, chins, bench pressing, and squats until I was ready to drop.

We haven’t started practice yet. Our wrestling coach is also the football coach, so we won’t do any formal practicing w/ the coach until December 1 (up until then, we’re on our own to work out, although he makes sure we’re hitting the gym often).

Gotcha. It’s been 18 years since my wrestling days but I think our schedule was the same way. Our coach was the defensive coach for the football team. I agree with you on your carb intake. I don’t eat less than 180 grams of carbs even when I’m dieting now and I’m nowhere near as active as I was at your age. Try the cardio twice a week and see what happens. I don’t think it will take much.