T Nation

How Often Should a Beginner Train?

Hi everyone.

How often should I train each muscle? Can I do cardio and weight training the same day?

Thanks for your help!

How often will you go to the gym?

What do you enjoy (more) - cardio or weights?

1 Like

1-3 times a week

Absolutely!

If staying motivated is the likely challenge, I’d recommend starting at the low end of the number of days you think you’d commit.

I hate cardio, too; I think it’s wise, in this case, to “sneak” it in.

In terms of practical recommendations, I’d likely lift 3x a week if I were you. You could do either push, pull, legs or full body; landing in the 1-3x frequency @j4gga2 just mentioned.
For cardio, I’ll often do 10-15 minutes before and after my lifting. You get your weekly totals in that way, but no single session is just a cardio grind.

2 Likes

Back in the day we were training our team five times per week off season and three times during game weeks. 90% of the team was clueless of strength yet made better progress on three a weeks despite games and intense practice. We determined that being off during season was best

It depend ur motivation and system nervous, step by step improve ur system with reason and listen ur body.

Now i training full body bc of lockdown, 3* by week, 7 exercices or 4 exercices depend of my mood.
And one training for arms or even 2/3 time by week, when is rest day.

Run i like a off day for that, 50 minute.

Abs off day also and plank

So hope to u, but if u training 5 time or 6 split correctly and enough rest, enough food, u will get more faster results that 3 training of course depend also of ur genetic but in general more u training more u will get a good return