How Often for Chin-Ups/Pull-Ups

I need to work on these. How often is too often?

I do chins and pull ups every day. I have a pull up bar in my bathroom and knock out 4-6 each every time I go. I only train them weighted once or twice a week though. I feel this method has helped my back development very much.

I used to do them everytime I worked out (3x week) first thing in the gym. You may or may not get more out of them doing them first.

Once you get on a roll, increasing 1 pullup a week may be a good goal for you.

I think they’re one of those exercises that you can just do over and over and over again without much of a problem. This is assuming you aren’t doing heavy weighted chins everytime you do em.

I saw the greatest improvement in my chinning strength after I basically decided to do them every chance I had.

-Walking to classes I’d do 8 or so on the pullup bar near the Exercise Science building on campus
-At home I have a bar I do a few sets throughout the day on

So the week would come out to 30-50 with added weight in the gym, and 25~ throughout the week whenever I had the chance. I honestly just felt better with the form and the motion by doing that.

I went from only managing 6RM @ BW to pulling off a 3RM @ BW+60 lbs. in two months using this sort of method.

I’m doing chins w/ a fat bar.

Look @ the catch bars on the elitefts 3x3 rack. Not the rectangular catch bars, but the rod and pipe.

The pipe is about 2.5" in diameter and its a bitch to hold onto. I want to work my grip, and this seems to be a great way. My problem is reps. I can get 4 reps and my grip fails (overhand would be MUCH easier, but who wants easier?). The more often I can do this exercise, the better.

I agree more is better. Google “Armstrong Pullup Program” or “Recon Ron Pullup Program” if you want to make them your top priority.

Check out this article by Pavel. The key is to not go to failure.

[quote]Traps59 wrote:
Check out this article by Pavel. The key is to not go to failure.

[/quote]

I’ve heard that that routine works really well. Does anyone understand why? If you did a program like that with squats, bench, rows, etc, you’d probably get overtrained really quickly. There seems to be something different about pull-ups.

you’re dealing with BW, same as pushups, BW dips, etc

Monday I super set wide grip pull ups to behind neck with front squats, up to 5reps that feel so easy now. I’m moving it up to 6reps

Tuesday: pull ups set with weighted dips, 7reps on each x 3sets,

Wednesday: funky static pull up version where I change grips whilst keeping my elbows bent at 90*, super setted with back squats

Thur: close grip chins 10reps x 3set

Friday: wide grip pull ups super setted with front squats

Saturday: pull ups 10reps x 4sets, longer rest

• 3-4 OLift sessions.

I LOVE Pull ups. Just hammering them out.

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:
Monday I super set wide grip pull ups to behind neck with front squats, up to 5reps that feel so easy now. I’m moving it up to 6reps

Tuesday: pull ups set with weighted dips, 7reps on each x 3sets,

Wednesday: funky static pull up version where I change grips whilst keeping my elbows bent at 90*, super setted with back squats

Thur: close grip chins 10reps x 3set

Friday: wide grip pull ups super setted with front squats

Saturday: pull ups 10reps x 4sets, longer rest

• 3-4 OLift sessions.

I LOVE Pull ups. Just hammering them out.

Koing[/quote]

Man,just stop! Stop!
You are snatching animal.Its enough.You dont have to become a chinning mosnster as well.

For increasing chin/pull-up reps, I’ve found two methods very effective. One, as a previous poster indicated, is frequent practice with relatively few reps. Since you can do four max, I would try doing one or two reps multiple (2-4X) times per day, with one or two days off per week.

The second method is ladders. Again working from your 4-rep max, I would suggest the following: 3x per week do 1 rep, rest 2 reps, rest, 3 reps, take a longer rest (5 min., say), and then repeat the process.

Both of these methods “grease the groove” and follow the generally effective maxim of: Work as intensely as possible as frequently as possible while staying as fresh as possible.

Hope this helps,

-q

What are your goals with pullups? Tell us that and we can help point you in a more accurate direction.

1 arm chinups?

Weighted pullups?

many reps in one set?

but as many posters mentioned previously with pullups frequency seems to be king. Still depends on your goals…

[quote]USMCGNPer wrote:
you’re dealing with BW, same as pushups, BW dips, etc[/quote]

Ditto.

I do chin-ups/pull-ups every day too (maybe 1-2 days off where I’m not at the gym at all)

Its pretty random when I’ll do them, but I’ll even go up to ~70 reps on “off” days (in multiple sets of 5-12).

I also work in a gym and so am around a pullup bar quite a bit. I’ll also do them before and after pretty much every workout that I’ve had.

If my pullup/chinup feels slow, I will back off, and take the next day to rest them completely (possibly even two days). I generally stop my sets about 5 reps of failure.

It’s like anything else, intensity has to be managed as frequency increases.

And I disagree with a couple posters above. There is nothing magic about weights. If you can squat 2/3 your bodyweight 12 times, and you can do 12 chinups, both can be practiced with the same frequency, as long as you manage the intensity and stay fresh.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
What are your goals with pullups? Tell us that and we can help point you in a more accurate direction.

1 arm chinups?

Weighted pullups?

many reps in one set?

but as many posters mentioned previously with pullups frequency seems to be king. Still depends on your goals…
[/quote]

A legit Chinning Beast & prof. Of Chinnology himself Mr.Xen Nova himself!!!**

Welcome!

I’m just trying to add them in for added back strength and some bicep strength as well.

The issue like I said is also grip strength. My grip fails before my back does. I know I am capable of 10 with a normal bar. Because of this, I can crank out set after set of 4 reps since my hands seem to recover very quickly.

I do agree, I think I’ll just try to work them is as much as possible. I’ll try a few different things (sets of 4 as much as possible and the ladder method). I think both with help my grip strength tremendously and my chin up / pull up strength will increase a lot too.

Thanks guys.

hi there balbo!

goals still aren’t really defined.
thats like people who say they want to lift weights to “get strong”

its great and all, but if you say “I want to deadlift 500lbs at a bodyweight of 160”. Then we have something to shoot for.

If you’re going for high reps then the above article links are a goldmine, also use the search function im not sure if they’ll come up anymore but i wrote like 2-3 threads back in the day that dealt with getting your chin numbers high. Also Thib has a great article on it as well.

if its your grip strength then you know full well your weak link so bust ass on that, get over to the grip board and the diesel crew and work on on improving your grip.

Adding weight will help a LOT too so dont forget to add in some heavy singles and doubles…

Good article that might help you.

www.powerdevelopmentinc.com/?id=22

I do chin ups to warm up before I do the rest of my work out. 2 sets of 12 every day. It gets the blood flowing and helps the muscles warm up faster than simple stretching alone. It also allows me to make my first lift a little heavier, rather than having to waist strength on a light warm up set.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
hi there balbo!

goals still aren’t really defined.
thats like people who say they want to lift weights to “get strong”

its great and all, but if you say “I want to deadlift 500lbs at a bodyweight of 160”. Then we have something to shoot for.

If you’re going for high reps then the above article links are a goldmine, also use the search function im not sure if they’ll come up anymore but i wrote like 2-3 threads back in the day that dealt with getting your chin numbers high. Also Thib has a great article on it as well.

if its your grip strength then you know full well your weak link so bust ass on that, get over to the grip board and the diesel crew and work on on improving your grip.

Adding weight will help a LOT too so dont forget to add in some heavy singles and doubles…

Good article that might help you.

www.powerdevelopmentinc.com/?id=22

[/quote]

Just do it!