How Often Does Someone Squats 720 raw at 160?

saw my buddy at the gym, he said he was training with another dude. claimed he squatted 720 at 160.
“suited?”
he didn’t know what that meant. so i explained and he said not suited. guy probably ~20 years old. and was going to play for usc football before injury.

my first thought was quarter squats which could explain why he’s injured go figure.

i’m not really familiar with these big numbers, so i don’t want to make big judgments before calling both of them idiots. i’m going with bs though. thoughts?

Bullshit. Without a shadow of a doubt.

Sure Hoop did 753 at 165 in full single ply gear at last year’s IPF world champs and he’s one of the best 165’s i nthe world!

Unless of course it was like a 1/28th squat.

There was a guy in my gym doing leg presses and going from knees locked in to very slight knees bent. (ie the normal starting position)

Not a Chance

[quote]Hanley wrote:

Sure Hoop did 753 at 165 in full single ply gear at last year’s IPF world champs and he’s one of the best 165’s i nthe world![/quote]

Hoop is awesome, he’d be no way near 720 raw back then at 165 though. BS is right!

Wonder how much he gets out of his gear, I’m guessing 150-200lbs.

Forget whetehr he actually did it (he didnt.) I’m questioning whether he even did a 1/16th squat and THINKS that that’s a full squat (in which case a 720 walkout @ 165 would still be fairly impressive) or if he is just an out and out liar (which also makes me question the “usc football, but then i got injured” story)

Yeah. This happens.

People brag to frequently that they squat WAY more than I do.

Then I find out they’re using a Cybex “Squat” Press.

I try to argue that it’s not actually a squat at all, but they really don’t get it. It’s amazing.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
Forget whetehr he actually did it (he didnt.) I’m questioning whether he even did a 1/16th squat and THINKS that that’s a full squat (in which case a 720 walkout @ 165 would still be fairly impressive) or if he is just an out and out liar (which also makes me question the “usc football, but then i got injured” story)[/quote]

Whose gonna play D1 Ball at 165 if they’re not the kicker?

Best raw squat by a 165er in the past year is 615, and it is 500 lbs for the stricter organizations. Single ply it is 777 by Wade who is a lot higher than everybody else, and multi ply it is 815.

So to answer your question 720 raw at 165 is unheard of and BS unless you see it yourself and test the weight.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
KBCThird wrote:
Forget whetehr he actually did it (he didnt.) I’m questioning whether he even did a 1/16th squat and THINKS that that’s a full squat (in which case a 720 walkout @ 165 would still be fairly impressive) or if he is just an out and out liar (which also makes me question the “usc football, but then i got injured” story)

Whose gonna play D1 Ball at 165 if they’re not the kicker?[/quote]

I doubt DeSean Jackson is much more than 165

ok, decided not to be lazy and actually checked. They list him at 175 (and thats in the nfl,) and those are often generous. The bw doesnt set off my bs detector the way the “squat” does.

If we all started threads about bullshit lifting numbers we were told by people in the gym, the forum would crash.

I had someone tell me once that they benched “about 700lbs” raw.

That was awesome.

If your 160 pounds and you JUST unrack and walkout with 720 pounds thats pretty impressive.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
I had someone tell me once that they benched “about 700lbs” raw.

That was awesome.[/quote]

Oh cool, you met scott mendelson. Did you get his autograph or what?

unracking 720 is a massive achievement… though it could explain the injury as well. ‘i can nearly squat 720, i did the negative part of the rep easy, went complete ATG too, but then i got injured’

I wonder what elite level powerlifters think when they hear about all these people who can lift more than them :smiley: I wonder if they try and call them on their bullshit straight out, or ask them to compete and enjoy hearing the excuses to why they don’t squat or benchpress anymore.

Brian Schwab from team EliteFTS doing 705 for a double.

[quote]boyscout wrote:

Brian Schwab from team EliteFTS doing 705 for a double. [/quote]

…in a suit with straps down.

what do you mean by straps down?
it looked high to me. about as parallel as the ends of the bar.

not even close to parallel

[quote]kickureface wrote:
what do you mean by straps down?
it looked high to me. about as parallel as the ends of the bar.[/quote]

The straps, that go over his shoulders on his squat suit aren’t up, hence “straps down” :wink:

I’ll reply ot your pm later.

[quote]Laughing Man wrote:
Hanley wrote:

Sure Hoop did 753 at 165 in full single ply gear at last year’s IPF world champs and he’s one of the best 165’s i nthe world!

Hoop is awesome, he’d be no way near 720 raw back then at 165 though. BS is right!

Wonder how much he gets out of his gear, I’m guessing 150-200lbs.[/quote]

we appear to have the same inspiration, as per our profile pictures, you sir, are a bastard. I say the only way to settle this is an internet duel. chop chop, backs to each other, let us take 10 spaces, on the count of 3,2,1…