How Often Do You Max Out/1RM Bench?

I’ve started to wonder if maxing out actually works in some way as a training method. Not doing it too often, obviously, but 2-3 reps every 5th workout or so.

Yes, it is a training method.

Read up on Westside Barbell and Louie Simmons. There’s plenty of articles on this site.

I’m not going to max out often, I’m trying to spend my sessions focused on hitting productive working sets.

I did like doing heavy singles often last training cycle, but I feel like that gave me more of a “peaking” effect than actual strength gains. I think I’ll run the same program before my first meet, but focus on hitting singles that are more confident than they are close to failure

[quote]Emergency wrote:
I’ve started to wonder if maxing out actually works in some way as a training method. Not doing it too often, obviously, but 2-3 reps every 5th workout or so.[/quote]

Two or three sets of max 1RM or a a single set of your best 2-3?

I don’t “max out” but when I squat I have a certain weight that I hit before doing some back off sets (usually pause squats). Once that “training max” becomes easy (either a triple or a really good double) I move that weight up. I’ve gone from 565 to 605 as my training max. 605 is still heavy though, so it may take a while, but in the mean time I’m building my strength base with the back off sets.

A lot of coaches these days talk about building your strength and not testing it. I like that philosophy. I do singles sometimes for fun, but to do it regularly feels like a waste of time.

Heavy singles I fin useful. “Trying” (failing) a weight is worthless, IMO. It takes more out of you than you get back from it. And there’s better ways to train supramax like reverse bands, boards, etc.

I like to do variations of the squat, deadlift, and bench for 2-3 seta above 90%. If I feel good I’ll try for a pr. For the bench and deadlift, partial movements. Like ,rack pulls, block pulls, goodmornings, board press, chain suspended presses and band presses. Allow you to max out often and don’t beat you up as much as full range movements.

For the squat, using the cambered, and SS bar. Don’t put as much pressure on your shoulders and allow you to traing above 90%, more frequently.

I usually Max out each week whether it be a triple or single just depends but mostly singles not usually psyched up other than my music so more of “training Max” as oppossed to a “absolute Max”. Then back off and knock out a couple sets in the 80-85% range.